Help re choice of bike

lunaeventer
lunaeventer Posts: 420
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Have been looking around at bikes (and also read the guides/other posts) - planning to ride trails & doing red routes at the moment at Glentress. Did an adventure race last year too, so light weight bike is preferable in case I do more.

The following suggestions have been made at local shops & I would like any advice you can offer on which would be a good deal - new to this game so would appreciate anyone's comments re spec of these bikes so I can try to get a fair deal (i.e. not completely ripped off!!!) or avoid buying complete trash!!

Specialized Myka Pro '08 £650

Cannondale F5 £549

Gary Fisher Tassajara '07 £490 (sale price)

Gary Fisher Marlin £???

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I'd say the specialized (better forks than the other two). Its a much better machine than my first one and I used it for the red at Glentress 200+ times.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    does it have to be a female specific bike?
  • Not particularly - that is just what the guys in the shops have suggested when I have been asking - was pointed out to me on one occasion that the suspension is designed for us lighter weights in mind!! No offence intended!!!!!!!!! :)

(should I anticipate my vital statistics being requested next???!!) :lol:
  • papasmurf.
    my girlfriend found that a mens bike fitted her better, depends on you size I suppose I'd defo give it a test to see what suits your
  • That's partly why I need the advice....

Have already arranged to try the Specialized in January. The other 3 bikes were suggested to me yesterday but will have to be ordered in for me to try the correct size. No point in me trying something that isn't even worth considering.........
  • papasmurf.
    where abouts you live Merlin malts are great bikes but its just that you have to live near to get a test or take a punt, which in this case probably isn't a good thing.

the Specialized Myka Pro looks the best on paper from that lot
  • Up in Scotland - had a look at Merlin website - no local dealers at all!

Thanks for the advice - good to get pointed in the right direction - different components are no more than names to me at the moment!!
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    female specific bikes are only of real use if you are petite. (little)
    taller women often find mens bikes are fine so try them first. If you are going to spend serious money then you need to be sure!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • papasmurf.
    yeah defo try an equivalent mens bike if you're not wee...you can always get a female specific saddle plus you're not limited to the twee colours schemes of the female ones...unless you're into pinks and pale blues.. :lol:

(yeah merlins only in leyland)
  • Definitely NOT into pinks & pale blues!!!

Colour of little importance - bike just has to suit me & be up to what I want to do.
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    as always then try before you buy. if the shop wont let you , go elsewhere, there are plenty of shops that will welcome your custom!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    The ratio of upper body length to leg length is vastly different in women than it is in men.

If you look at the geometry of a proper women's specific bike (not a typical pink it and shrink it) you'll notice a very short top tube length compared to a guys bike - this is because women's upper bodies are (relative to their height) much shorter.

So if you had a guy who was 5'6" and take my wife who is also 5'6" - she would have longer legs but a shorter reach.

My wife isn't exactly tall but hardly short for a girl at a 5'6" and she's always complaining about the bars being too far away - even on a 16" frame with a stubby stem.

Where women's bikes can also differ is in the seat tube angle - because of your hip shape, your optimum pedaling angle is different to ours.

As you can see, there's a lot more going on (or their should be is you chose the right manufacturer) in women's bikes than just shrink it, pink it and stick a big saddle on it.

If you don't mind me asking (please god say naff off if you do mind!!!!), what height and approx weight are you? I'm thinking of a Myka FSR for the wife and I'm interested to see how you get on with your Spesh test ride...
  • Thanks for those comments - one of the shops indicated along those lines that female specific bikes are different due to different body shapes.

I'm 5'5" (so similar height to your wife) & weigh just under 10 stone (& all this extra exercise trimming that down nicely!!)
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Brilliant, she'd probably want the same size spesh as you - I early await your report!
  • Hi everyone,

Just to update you all - decided on & now have the Specialized Myka Pro! :D

Unfortunately have only managed to get out on it a grand total of 3 times so far...... :(

But so far I love it - so much lighter than the bike I had been using & the forks actually move & absorb impact!!! A revelation!!!!!

zero303: the 17" seems to fit me perfectly if that helps decision making for your wife.

Just need to get better tyres that can cope with the weather we have been getting & the resulting soggy conditions (or snow today!).