Cycling on the BBC - 2008

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited December 2007 in Pro race
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Does this mean they've lost the rights to the Tour of Britain? Hopefully ITV will snap it up and give a daily highlights programme on ITV4!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    If the BBC aren't showing it, I'd doubt we'd get any coverage now.

ITV4 buy the Phil and Paul show for the TdF, and then build a programme around it. They don't film the cycling itself. Which is shame in some ways, I really like the Rendall/Boardman/Imlach team.
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    I'm glad the BBC don't do cycling, they only seem to report the drugs stories unless a british trackie has won something...
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I don't blame the beeb for not showing the Tour of Britain - it was a truly boring race this year, the big teams just sent their juniors etc etc.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • aarw wrote:
    I'm glad the BBC don't do cycling, they only seem to report the drugs stories unless a british trackie has won something...

Too right. They're absolutely obsessed with doping stories and give barely any coverage to actual racing unless it's a grand tour or a classic they can be bothered to report about. I'm aware that doping is a big issue in cycling, but to give it blanket coverage and ignore most other things is pushing it a bit?

ITV might perhaps snap up ToB coverage. Didn't they show live coverage of the Tour of Ireland stages on ITV4?
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    But you have to admit: if you're not into cycling then it's pretty boring until the final 200m. Personally I love it - I can watch the first 100km of any professional race forever, but it's hardly viewer friendly is it. C'mon.

Compare this to rugby or boxing, both of which I can't bear - but I can see that you can just switch on ad get an instant buzz. Cycling's more like cricket - dull as fck unless you love it.

So it's little wonder that the world at large is only interested in doping stories when it comes to cycling. And it's no wonder that the BBC isn't too arsed about spending its hard-earned on covering cycling. It's not a situation I like but I can follow the logic.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    doping.........................or crashes, I remember the "tour of death" headline from the 95 TDF. :cry:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    ITV might perhaps snap up ToB coverage. Didn't they show live coverage of the Tour of Ireland stages on ITV4?

Coverage bought from Irish TV. ITV don't have the money (or the expertise ?) to put the coverage together themselves.

As for the BBC, i think their coverage of Track cycling is superb. Looking forward to their worlds coverage in March