Upgrade help & advice needed

Yorkman
Yorkman Posts: 290
edited November 2007 in Workshop
New to here, so please bear with me!

Have a Bianchi carbon frame which has Tiagra shifters & cassette and a gossamer compact.

Have been advised to upgrade the components, which is not a problem, and going for Campy Record and Chorus kit.

Main question is, is the upgrading of the componentry likely to make a big difference in the bikes performance, as I'm not going to race it, but get out at weekends and during the week socially, clocking up 100-200 miles per week.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Not really - a little less weight, but no real difference in efficiency.

Wheels would make a bigger difference generally.
  • Yorkman
    Not really - a little less weight, but no real difference in efficiency.

Wheels would make a bigger difference generally.

Thanks for that, I've stuck some fulcrum 3's on it which are nice enough for what I do.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Yorkman wrote:
    Main question is, is the upgrading of the componentry likely to make a big difference in the bikes performance,

I'd say your performance might improve, with the feel good factor of riding chorus or record. And you'd get rid of those annoying washing lines sticking out of the side of the hoods.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    is frame worth upgrading to Record/chorus ?? some centuar parts will do job just as well
    dont forget you need to swap f&r deraileurs as well ...

can you wheels accept a new freehub to swap to campag >>>???
  • Yorkman
    SDP wrote:
    is frame worth upgrading to Record/chorus ?? some centuar parts will do job just as well
    dont forget you need to swap f&r deraileurs as well ...

can you wheels accept a new freehub to swap to campag >>>???

The frame is a brand new 928 Carbon, so hopefully!

As for the wheels, apparentl;y so, but I'm relying on other peoples advice on this as I don't know.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I would keep the Gossamer crank. It's a really good sturdy unit. You won't help youself
    by putting on a big dollar crankset.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    I would keep the Gossamer crank. It's a really good sturdy unit. You won't help youself
    by putting on a big dollar crankset.

Dennis Noward

Would have to disagree with you I'm afraid ... seen too many FSA cranks lying around my LBS's floor with the staff cracking jokes about them, shaking their heads and commenting, "FFS just buy shimano ... they work ... "

FSA crack easily.