Well worth the money...

Pagem
Pagem Posts: 244
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
continuing along a similar theme to another thread, i'd be interested to know what people have bought that they really found to be worth the money they spent.

having gone out on an evening ride yesterday in sub zero temperatures for 2 hours, i'd have to say my assoss ariblock jacket and bibtights, together with my new dinotte light. thank god i didn't put the money towards a turbo trainer!

others?
Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...my Schwallbe Marathon Plus tyres on my work bike. 9,700 miles! :D and no p*****s
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hi Pagem,
    my assos bib knickers were worth the £100 I spent on them - really comfortable even over a century ride. The gore jacket I bought the other day (Phantom) - also £100 well spent as it keeps me lovely and toasty.

Are your bib tights fleecy inside? I was thinking of buying some for my christmas present to myself :)
  • any of my Assos stuff that has recently been purchased. Its very expensive but really worth the money.

More specifically and most recently Assos skull cap - first time this year my ears havent frozen!

Gats
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    edited November 2007
    hi popette.

i got these: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/?acti ... 4&brandID=

on this site they were as cheap as i could find them at the time. a nice feature is the knee section which really keeps them toasty. oh, and they have a roubaix lining.

i'm guessing you'd require the female equivalent.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • After pointing out that the Aldi bib longs were my worst purchase. The Aldi winter gloves and skull cap (about £4.99 I think for both) has been one of my best purchases in recent months. :D

Best purchase ever though were some SJS neoprene overshoes (about £8 I think), keep shoes clean and feet warm and are very hard wearing (rubber sole pads) with a great big reflective stripe down back.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For winter riding, my 3 recommendations would be Helly Hansen Lifa bike undershorts - don't get all sweaty and clammy like lycra under bibtights. Likewise, DeFeet Woolie Bollies or similar merino wool socks. Last winter I also picked up a pair of Sugio winter bib tights for half-price at £50 - my Assos Airblocks finally gave out after 6 years and a few crashes! The Sugois have a stretchy windproof membrand right down the front and on the bum - they're really effective at keeping most of the rain off too - probably too warm for really fast club rides though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    compact crank w/ integrated bottom bracket - ease of maintainance is great
    good quality truing stand - no more bike shops truing or building wheels for me
    good quality bike work stand - a must have to work on your own bike
    Tufo tubular gluing tape - makes the job easy as can be
    proper tools to do the job - a rock and screwdriver just don't get it
    Shimano Flite Deck computer - more than enough info for me
    ceramic coated rims - great for mountain riding
    brakes that have that little adjusting screw to let you center them on the rim(dura ace)
    Dennis Noward
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Best value for money investment of all time - Campagnolo Gilet.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    carlstone wrote:
    After pointing out that the Aldi bib longs were my worst purchase. The Aldi winter gloves and skull cap (about £4.99 I think for both) has been one of my best purchases in recent months. :D

Best purchase ever though were some SJS neoprene overshoes (about £8 I think), keep shoes clean and feet warm and are very hard wearing (rubber sole pads) with a great big reflective stripe down back.

well done carlestone, for representing the lower end of the clothing fraternity, this is real value for money, sorry, but not all of us can afford (or want) Assos gear. Yes, i too have a fair few Aldi items amongst other, bargain buy, lower end stuff and i'm not afraid to say it too.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    Cadbury's Flake £0.65 p ...... inner warmth and well being yeah!

Seriously I guess by best bargain was some overshoes from Ozzo for the princly sum of £8.00 in 1996 still going strong ......toasty feets
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    popette wrote:
    Hi Pagem,
    my assos bib knickers were worth the £100 I spent on them - really comfortable even over a century ride. The gore jacket I bought the other day (Phantom) - also £100 well spent as it keeps me lovely and toasty.

Are your bib tights fleecy inside? I was thinking of buying some for my christmas present to myself :)
    ??? Are you Borat??? :?

a-borat2.jpg

If so, I claim my £5.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill