Got my Planet X last night :D

2»

Comments

• Sounds excellent! Ok I'll give them a call and discuss sizing. thanks for the push to look into it more! :D
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • Spasypaddy, I'm so jealous!!! I signed my cycle2work forms requesting the LOC over 2 weeks ago and I've not heard anything from anyone yet. Hopefully I'll have it for Christmas.

What was your average speed like? Were you riding a road bike or a mtb before. How much faster is the planet-x? Did you say previously that you were getting a compact? I'm thinking about getting a compact but then buying an 11-23 cassette to get a good range of gears.

Simmo, I'm 6'2'' and I was told by Andy from planet-x to go for an x-large.

FCN : 4
  • mattsv
    mattsv Posts: 24
    simmo3801 wrote:
    Oops, just seen your reply to other topic about new bike. I'm not sure whether to go for medium or large. I'm a nats baw hair under 6 ft which planet xs site says will be a medium. What height are you for your medium?

Simmo - I am a 'chunky' 5'10 - about 87kgs, 46" chest - Andy @ Planet X recommended I go for the large size frame.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    simmo3801 wrote:
    Oops, just seen your reply to other topic about new bike. I'm not sure whether to go for medium or large. I'm a nats baw hair under 6 ft which planet xs site says will be a medium. What height are you for your medium?

Simmo I'm the same height as you. When I called PX they recommended a large. If you look on their forum (I can't get a link to work) then Andy has posted this.

"SL Pro Road bikes:-

5'8" and under - Small
    5'9 to 5'10 - Medium
    5'11" to 6'2" - Large
    6'2 and over - X-Large
    f you are borderline on any of these heights sometimes better
    to visit the warehouse for a sit on a bike."

As they now have them in stock I've ordered mine 8)
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    benvickery wrote:
    Spasypaddy, I'm so jealous!!! I signed my cycle2work forms requesting the LOC over 2 weeks ago and I've not heard anything from anyone yet. Hopefully I'll have it for Christmas.

What was your average speed like? Were you riding a road bike or a mtb before. How much faster is the planet-x? Did you say previously that you were getting a compact? I'm thinking about getting a compact but then buying an 11-23 cassette to get a good range of gears.

Simmo, I'm 6'2'' and I was told by Andy from planet-x to go for an x-large.
    my average speed was quite slow as the others couldnt keep up if i had been going any faster... but it was around 13.9 (which is rather disappointing in my opinion even with 8miles of climb!) I was and am still riding a cannondale R400 (entry level road bike). I got the compact, im still not sure that it was the right thing to get but i think i might have struggled on all the hills today, im sure that i will always be reaching for higher/lower gears but thats cos im used to a triple give it time im sure the compact will be fine.
  • Ok looks like I'm about right for a large. I've emailed planet x for their advice and to see if there's anywhere near Edinburgh where I could try one for size.

Thanks
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • Spassypaddy, sorry for the late reply, but the pump is great as a get you home measure but I have a decent track pump for getting my tyres hard.

As for the frame sizing questions I am 5' 11 1/2" 52" chest and 95kg with quite long legs. I got a large with a short stem (90mm) and find it just right. Riding position took a bit of getting used to after years on a flat bar commuter, but fine now. I was shocked at how much easier it made the hills.
  • muz250
    muz250 Posts: 95
    Simmo, sandy wallace cycles in inverkething (just over the forth road bridge) has few of the planet x carbon bikes on show.... www.swc.o.uk
  • Thanks muz I've just called them they have a medium pro carbon ultegra in stock so when I get a chance I'll go over and have a look. I emailed Andy at Planet X who agreed that a large would be best but at least I'll be able to see the bike albeit in a different size rather than buying blind.

Thanks everyone for your help
    Giant Anthem X3 2013