Sportstest - Well worth it.

Jungli
Jungli Posts: 201
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
Hello all

Thought I'd let you all know my experiences in case anyone is thinking about getting properly tested.

I went to see Dr Garry Palmer early January this year and he did a full Sportstest on me such as determining heart rate zones, training advice depending on objectives & nutritional advice etc and I can say its the best money I have ever put into improving fitness. I came away with a very clear plan on what I needed to do, type of training, duration HR zone etc. He did a very good nutritional plan for me as well which I followed diligently and my riding and fitness has come along leaps and bounds.

Considering how much money us cyclists spend on lightweight kit and all the rest of it this was the best value. Since early January I have lost a shade under 20lbs! and am now 74kg (at 6ft) which alone has made a huge difference. I didn't feel I was starving myself and haven't been sick once since then (I used to get sniffles and sore throats all the time).

Anyway, you get the Idea.. highly recommended.

:D

Comments

• Jungli
    I think it was about £160 which covered about 2-3 hours of assessment, testing and then analysing the data and subsequent formulation of training and nutritional planning.

Peanuts compared to what some hardware spend is on lightweight/bling components.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    That does sound good, how does that compare with the cost of a coach though for a few weeks to get the same kind of info?
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • I was thinking of doing something similar if I can find somewhere in central Scotland.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Jungli
    Nolf - I have never had a coach so I cannot comment. However I would imagine that a coach would still want you to have been properly physiologically tested so that whatever he/she prescribed in terms of a training programme would be carried out at the correct zones etc.

IIRC Garry Palmer does offer a coaching service as well and I guess it depends on what your goals are. Mine are not that ambitious.. UK sportives building up to euro sportives and possibly some MTB enduro events.

I live in London but it takes me about 2 hrs to drive to Birmingham where Sportstest is and I imagine I wont need to go there more than once or twice a year which I am happy to do.

For me the most useful part was being given exactly what my calorific needs were per day given that I was aiming to train for 10 hours per week, with it being broken down into % Carbs, Proteins & Fats. Ironically, when I used to try and diet before I'd actually take in too few calories without not enough carbs and end up getting sick all the time and still not losing that much weight as I couldn't sustain it.

Anyway, best £160 I have spent (although I my Mrs is taking me shopping to Condor today as its my birthday soon! 8) )
  • That's great to hear.

If I may, what tests were conducted and what information was supplied (on the tests I mean)?
  • Jungli
    Probably easier for me to just post a link so you can get an idea of tests..

http://www.sportstest.co.uk/

and

http://www.sportstest.co.uk/index2.htm
  • Jungli
    and there is an independant review here below..

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/artic ... 36/v/4/sp/

Cheers

Jay
  • Jungli wrote:
    Nolf - I have never had a coach so I cannot comment. However I would imagine that a coach would still want you to have been properly physiologically tested so that whatever he/she prescribed in terms of a training programme would be carried out at the correct zones etc.

IIRC Garry Palmer does offer a coaching service as well and I guess it depends on what your goals are. Mine are not that ambitious.. UK sportives building up to euro sportives and possibly some MTB enduro events.

I don't seem to recall Garry being a coach...
    For me the most useful part was being given exactly what my calorific needs were per day given that I was aiming to train for 10 hours per week, with it being broken down into % Carbs, Proteins & Fats.

can you expand on what you mean here please? It's just that no one can *exactly* tell you what your needs are (unless you happen to walk round with a gas analysis system all day, every day). Yeah, i know, i'm probably starting another argument and being dogmatic.

Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Jungli
    What a surprise...

Thats why I said IIRC (the first I stands for IF). If you really want to know, you could ring up and ask him.

OK, so let me be more specific (or perhaps less specific). When I said exactly I meant as accurately as possible (as far as I know!) or perhaps sufficiently accurately for me. Is that OK Ric?

An approximation of Resting Metabolic Rate according to your age, weight and activity levels (approx) and then an approx use of calorie use per hour depending on intensity and bodyweight amongst I would imagine other things.

Anything else you'd like to try and pick apart?
  • That's great to hear.

If I may, what tests were conducted and what information was supplied (on the tests I mean)?

Now there is TWO of them!!! :D
  • Now there is TWO of them!!! :D
    We're just trying to cover all times zones :wink:
  • Jungli wrote:
    Probably easier for me to just post a link so you can get an idea of tests..

http://www.sportstest.co.uk/

and

http://www.sportstest.co.uk/index2.htm
    Thanks for the links. Would like a bit more on the testing protocols used but that's OK. I'm just curious. :)
  • Kirky
    Kirky Posts: 459
    Just to add to the comments above, I went to see Garry a while back and found his advice and the time I spent with him worth every penny. Since then he's also been out and given a talk at our club.

As someone returning to cycling having the testing done by him really made me focus on what I wanted and what I needed to do for the season.

Which reminds me, I must book myself in for another session!!
    Las Vegas Institute of Sport
  • That's great to hear.

Now there is TWO of them!!! :D

:o

and seeking commercial info when I'm sure he could ring up for himself :wink:

:D would that be valleys time and GMT then??? :wink:
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Surely standardised tests aren't commercially sensitive!

Interesting to see 2 people who have been tested there are Adrian Timmis and Kim Hurst, both quality riders.
  • Jungli wrote:
    OK, so let me be more specific (or perhaps less specific). When I said exactly I meant as accurately as possible (as far as I know!) or perhaps sufficiently accurately for me. Is that OK Ric?

During exercise, the best option, outside of a cumbersome gas analysis machine, is a power meter. Yes, i know i bang their drum a lot, but if you want to most accurate during exercise, then this is the way forward.

Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Just about doing anything on a bike will get you fit and lose you weight, providing you only eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are full.

I don't need any measurement to tell me when I am getting fit or losing weight. It's directly related to time spent in the saddle.... and that's all about dedication. Most cycling publications have excellent articles on fitness. However a good coach might help you get an extra bit of motivation and give your ego a boost when you might need it.
  • Well without wishing to "diss" GP I went to see him last year.

Initial impression - Really great guy - enjoyed the tests and was very helpful explaining the data. He also kindly scribbled a few training session ideas down for me. Said to get back to him with any questions.

I left his place feeling really great - looking forward to training etc.

After a few days training I had a few questions for him - no reply, I was a little disappointed.

After a few weeks I emailed him again asking if he was still happy to help me with any questions - no reply!

I eventually got a reply from GP saying he was happy to help, I offered to pay for his time but he said it was OK - great I thought.

I emailed him - no reply!!!

Eventually I did get an email maybe a month or two later from his new secretary, she apologized and said GP would be happy to answer any questions - so I did another email, do I have to continue? I didn't get a reply!

Lets just say I had had enough by then - TBH I was very disappointed because I had heard such great things about GP. I traveled over 3 hours to see him because he came across as someone I was comfortable with after all I think you need some sort of rapport with a coach.

At my age I was never going to set the world on fire but I was very clear I wanted to be the best I could be - nothing wrong with that IMO.

Fortunately this year I started working with Ruth Eyles (www.rutheyles.co.uk) all I can say is that the understanding Ruth applies to my training and goals is exactly what I was hoping for from GP. I am extremely impressed with her feedback, variety of sessions and ability to communicate and answer my many questions - all very important to me and I am sure to many others. Sadly I cannot put all the good work Ruth did with me into 3Peaks as it has been cancelled (gutted) we shall see what is next!

I am sure GP is has very strong credentials as do many other coaches, and I don't want to appear to be saying GP is rubbish, clearly that is a little harsh but I certainly wouldn't recommend him!

Maybe I was unlucky and I sincerely wish anybody who uses him, or considers to use him, all the best.
  • After having got a power meter I now do all my testing myself. As i have a tool which allows me to easily determine my current capability, progress i'm making etc. I'm thinking of going to a coach for advice on developing a training plan for the coming winter and next season partly out of interest to see how it would differ from the one i had developed myself for last year. I don't need to to any testing with a coach, which is quite expensive as i can just give the results on my most rescent test using the powermeter. The testing i do is based on Functional threshold and doesn't include V02Max values, which i don't really see the point of knowing anyway.

When a test costs £160 + travel expenses etc then after 3 tests you could have brought a 2nd hand powertap SL which would provide performance data from every session completed on the bike.

Of course everyone has a different approach (cue Mike :D ) but when i look back at the money i spent on tests in the past it would have covered the cost of my powermeter.

Just another angle on how to approach this, of course just training by feel is even cheaper than getting a power meter :D

Of course if you do want to be tested don't forget there are a lot of university's which offer exercise testing and are very competive on price, i've seen £80 for test & analysis.

Saying all that i'm a facts and figures person and i did enjoy seeing the data from my tests, sadly the results confirmed what i knew already, that i was never going to win the Tour de France.

Regards,

Mac

Sydney, Australia :)

Sydney, Australia :)

Bloody hell! World Domination indeed! Please tell us that you have had no part in developing Cadel Evan's celebrity "persona"....
  • providing you only eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are full.

Aaah - that's my 'limiter' identified then.
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/