How soon can i start training again?

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
Got sinisitus (wohooo) and been given a 10 day course of anti-biotics, was wandering how soon after that I can start training properly?

I've been feeling on and off and so have been doing the odd slow 5 miler to get a bit of adrenaline going which seems to help a bit.

Should I layoff the bike completely for 2 weeks or can I start training again as soon as the anti-biotics are done with?
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• I would keep riding the bike but no more than moderate pace up to 1 and a half hours just to keep the fitness up. It won't do you any harm and means you'll have less catching up to do when you get over it.
  • If you feel like it take easyish rides - if you don't - don't!

Personally I wouldn't ride whilst on antibiotics unless I had to, in order to give my body time to deal with 1. the infection that was bad enough for you to go to the doctor with & 2. the antibiotics which might play havoc with your 'good' bacteria in gut etc.

You don't want to suffer all winter do you?
    Brisk walking relieves some restlessness without chilling sinuses unecessarily. :)
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    nolf wrote:
    Got sinisitus (wohooo) and been given a 10 day course of anti-biotics, was wandering how soon after that I can start training properly?

I've been feeling on and off and so have been doing the odd slow 5 miler to get a bit of adrenaline going which seems to help a bit.

Should I layoff the bike completely for 2 weeks or can I start training again as soon as the anti-biotics are done with?

why didn't you ask your gp?
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Ask a doctor who knows something about sport. These are not easy to find. I had a virus earlier this year and I asked my local GP how long I should wait before getting back into training, and she told me to 'go with the flow'. Not very useful, because training with a virus is one of the most common causes of sudden death in athletes.

Back to sinusitus (caveat: this is a personal viewpoint). I suffer from it at various times of the year and it doesn't seem to affect my riding, antibiotics or not. I normally back off a bit if it gets bad, because the infection can go down to my chest.

But everyone is different and the causes of sinusitus can be different, so it is best to talk to someone who is actually qualified and experienced enough to give advice.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports