New bike new pain.

zeroshoddy
zeroshoddy Posts: 59
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
I recently got a new bike, keeping my old bike for commute / bad weather. New bike slight more compact than old but feels comfier than old. However, after 20 miles I get lower back pain. Knees also starting to hurt - although I lucky if out once a week (weekends) on new bike (and do about 80m a week on old bike).

Is this cos of switching positions between bikes, or just the new bike? Any ideas? Is it worth getting me measured proper – if so anywhere offering fitting service in / nr Cheshire?

Comments

• Paul Hewitt Cycles in Leyland, Lancs. is highly recommended on this forum and is well worth a visit for a fitting - first class service that justified my travelling across from the east coast - no more lower back pain! :D Take a look at hte thread currently on page 7 of the Road/Beginners section
    Mine\'s a pint!
  • I was told ( from pro xc mountain bikers) that you should always be careful getting a new bike as slightly different muscle groups are used.
    Perhaps your body just needs to make these small adjustments.
    I recently got a new road bike .The frame size was exactly the same as the old, but the height of the bars i.e. the stem height , was different and i really felt it in my back, even though i think it's actually an improvement on the old bike. I just took it easy for 2 weeks until my back adjusted.
  • Hi there.

Ok here's what you need to do:

- Get both bikes out of the shed
    - Equip yourself with a measuring tape and a plumb line.
    - Measure the following on the old bike:
    - Centre of left hand crank to the top of the middle-point of your saddle
    - Front of saddle to middle of handlebars
    - Vertical distance from top of saddle to top of handlebars
    - Distance of front of saddle behind centre of botton bracket (use the plumb line)
    - crank length
    - q-factor - horizontal distance between left and right cranks
    - handlebar width
    - Adjust your saddle height and fore-aft postion and your handlebar height on your new bike to match the measurements on the old.

If your crank length, q-facto or handlebar width are significantly different, then it's a little harder to adjust without buying new stuff... I've also assumed your pedals/shoes are unchanged.

Now, even if you get yourself measured and are advised on your ideal position you shouldn't change to it straight away. Your body is accustomed to your old position and you need to make small (1cm or less) changes over a period of time to re-adjust.

Alternatively you could ask the shop you bought the new bike from to do all of the above for you as part of their after-sales service!

Cheers, Andy
  • great cheers