La Marmotte

2»

Comments

• Mingsta
    Mingsta Posts: 24
    vermooten wrote:
    I picked up loads of cycling mags out there. As you say, some of the mags seems to be purely about sportives. I guess it's only a matter of time before the sportive movement gets big enough here to warrant its own publication.

Yup, long may it continue. Sportives are great for those of us who don't race but fancy a bit of a challenge. We're also seeing bikes that are more geared to this kind of riding, which lets face it can only be a good thing as most folk just aren't suited to a rock hard ride and 12 inch saddle to bar drop of the hardcore race machines.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I want to do the Marmotte next year. I have done all the climbs invloved but just not in one day. I have heard that there is always a fair amount of 'bling' and from previous posts that seems to be the case. Seems like all involved had a good day and can confirm it was is hard as everbody says it is.

How hard is it? - In comparison to Brittish sportives how much harder is it and I suppose the heat is a major factor as I suddenly went from feeling good in Provence last year to stopping because of 30c constant heat.
    Brian B.
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    It's a lot harder than British sportives especially if warm. On Alpe d'Huez last Saturday it was in the mid to high 30s and there was a bit of a wind blowing as well.

Why not try riding a few other French or Italian sportives before jumping in at the deep end with the Marmotte. So many people do this and completely fook themselves.
  • Brian B
    I know your right but I wish to test myself and have pretty good fitness this year and managed to get up Hardnott pass and Wrynose this year at the 100 mile mark and will be aiming for better next year in Sept. as I am going to Italy to do the Stevio, Mortirolo etc.

I think I am capable if I ride steady and maintain a pace I know I can sustain. I have done many Hor catergorie climbs in France in the Alps and Pyrenees and Ventoux etc but I want to have the Marmotte on my resume and then the Maratona.
    Brian B.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    grimpeur wrote:
    On Alpe d'Huez last Saturday it was in the mid to high 30s...
    The thermometer on Ken's computer read 42 degrees on the lower sectins of the Alpe.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • grimpeur
    Mine didn't read that high but it was very hot.
  • As another of the Gastrobiking Marmotte 'team', I found it harder than the previous year because of the heat - mostly. I still did it faster than last year but, Ye Gods, it was brutal.

Another reason for not leaping feet first into the Marmotte (named after an Alpine Rodent - a sure sign it's not cute) is that the atmosphere is not typical for a French cyclosportiif. There are surprisingly few French on the ride. Most of the riders seem to be Dutch or Belgian. Looking at the list of results at http://www.grandtrophee.fr/GT/marmotte.xls, I was struck by how few French names were in the list.
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Brian B - you'll have no problems mate!! Not if what George has told me is correct - Go for It!

Grimpeur - Wasn't it fantastic pottering up through beautiful scenery to La Berarde knowing that 6000 riders were in world of pain just 40km away? :lol:
  • grimpeur
    Craig, it was great craic! One of the weirdest moments was on Saturday morning at about 8am when Phil and I wandered around Alpe d'Huez looking to buy an Equipe, the place was absolutely deserted and had an eerie atmosphere to i. Not like the circus the day before.

After La Berarde I felt like a fraud riding up Alpe d'Huez and passing the snake of suffering riders.

Having said that, the highlight of the trip for me was the young blonde waitress in the restaurant. I was horrified to see her wearing a wedding ring!

Grimpeur will be back next year with a fixed back and minus the extra stone in weight he put on over the winter to hopefully do sub 8hrs in the Marmotte.
  • Brian B
    La Berarde - i've done that climb and had something to eat at the the Le Champ restuarant at the top. It was an amazing place for scenery and the roads were very quiet.

Thanks for the encouragment Craig.

Ping - I got a personal message from someone on the Forum about the Italy trip but somehow I have lost it and cannot remember who it was.
    Brian B.
  • grimpeur
    La Berarde is a great place, and the climb up to it pretty easy apart from the two steepish bits.

It's pretty refreshing to ride on quiet roads in the area considering the amount of traffic on the other roads in the area.
  • grimpeur wrote:
    La Berarde is a great place, and the climb up to it pretty easy apart from the two steepish bits.
    Sounds like a lovely ride from you have all said and judging by Phil's photos.

Meanwhile I keep finding myself thinking about how to ride next year's Marmotte better than this year's. :? I suppose step 1 is not to fall of my bike 2 days before the event :)
  • grimpeur
    The extra weight you've lost due to your extreme exfoliating treatment on your leg is bound to make you ascend much faster.
  • Ah yes , the marmotte.... did it myself back in 2005. Bloody torture , but enjoyed every moment of it. 7 hrs 25mins of silence. not to much chat from anybody on the route , all lost in their own world of pain. the finish is always a big adrenalin rush. i will return sometime soon!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    We've already booked our accomodation for 2008!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers