is Millar Arrogant ??

kellys_heroes
kellys_heroes Posts: 88
edited October 2007 in Pro race
i was away on holiday and have just managed to finally watch most of this years tour and the post match interviews etc.....is it me or do people find David Millar arrogant....i am scottish,but there is one thing we dont like are people who are up there own a£$* as it were.everytime he is on he comes across as the people`s champion..just keep quiet david and esp about rasmussen and vino...you can talk..just leave it to others..i like the way Brad wiggins comes over on tv...No Bull just tells it as it is...you can learn from him david...just get on with what your paid to do and win races.you were lucky to get a 2nd chance

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    he does at least speak openly and honestly

I think he realises that he s not in a fine posistion to talk...but nobody else will

I think it often gets left out of magazine reports etc that he does start many interviews/press conferences with - "i know i'm not the best person to talk..."

I'm still not a full supporter but the is making the right noises in my opinion (often vastly opposed by everyone else on here!!!! :) )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I find Millars comments valid and interesting. Wiggins just comes acoss as a whiner when seems to insert his foot in his mouth quite often.

They seem to get on well with each other so the reality is they're probably quite nice blokes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tmag2005
    tmag2005 Posts: 15
    Ever heard the saying dont judge a book by its cover. Sometimes on the face of it, people arent as bad as you would like to make them out to be.

Just my 2 pence worth...
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    The guy is a national champion and a talent. He can be arrogant if he wants to but I don't recall anything arrogant from him. In fact, he's usually self-deprecating and humorous.

He's allowed to talk about doping and remember, you're not talking to the guy, only watching edited TV footage.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I rode with him in his first ever race years ago. 10 mile TT. Fresh from Hong Kong he was. He's done so much since then..... good and bad.... but this year I personally found him really smug and smarmy on the tour coverage....
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    I find Millars comments valid and interesting. Wiggins just comes acoss as a whiner when seems to insert his foot in his mouth quite often.

They seem to get on well with each other so the reality is they're probably quite nice blokes.

I like David Millar´s views now and consider him clean and a good spokesman for clean cycling. He is brutal in his choice of words aghainst the cheats, which is very good to read. I hope he grabs the final stage TT at the Eneco Tour.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Q: Is David Millar arrogant?

A: Absolutely.

that's all.
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    i think Millar is brilliant, IMO.

at least when he talks about doping, he can relate to what some of the riders are doing, as regards to the punishment and proceedures. but at least he talks sense about the situations.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • PutneyJoe
    PutneyJoe Posts: 242
    his tour diary was brilliant. He should write a book. His tv needs a little work, he always seems to be looking away from the camera. Can look a bit arrogant but could just be shyness.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    i think he seems standoffish with the tv cameras cos he just doesn't really like having a mic stuck under his nose after 220 km
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I stuck a mic under his nose after 200km racing several times on this year's Tour and he was always very giving of his time, and he wore his heart on his sleeve. What would you rather have? Someone who has no personality and ducks the tough questions that the sport needs answered?
    He has every right to be a spokesman against doping. Ask him if he regrets the negative impact his actions had on cycling and he'll say yes every time. Ask him if he has the balls to do something now to make it better and he'll say yes every time.
    Great man. Made a mistake. Has learned to live with it and do something about it.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I likes him at the tour - he says what he feels.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    No he is not. He just says it as he sees it.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    who ever said being arrogant was necessarily a bad thing? he comes across as arrogant, but that sure beats the tight-lipped riders who answer 20-second questions by a "yes" or "no". Robbie McEwen can super-arrogant, and that is all part of his charm.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I like David Millar´s views now and consider him clean
    Based on what facts? Can you be 100% certain?

Basically he may or may not be a nice bloke but in my opinion should not be currently racing.
    How is it possible he is racing having taken drugs but Rasmusson been squeezed out with no proof of drugs (OK he lied and missed tests and probably was guilty but not proven.
    Contador also stopped form participating recently without proof of drug taking.
    They have to be consisitent.
    If they want to sort it out give all current riders amnesty now (as most of the riders have been on something in past) then any future offence a life ban to follow.
  • Zero Sum
    Zero Sum Posts: 55
    I do not think he is arrogant really, and I am not sure whether it is the TVs editing that does it, but he certainly does come off a little off beat at times.

I actually like the guy, from the interviews and stuff that I have read I certainley think highly of him, but sometimes when you see him on TV I think "Why did he just say that like that, I don't get it"

Hey maybe it is just the fact that he is bad with TV or as I said it is the editing. I do not think he comes off as arrogant, just a bit odd sometimes. He does have the balls to say what he thinks though.
  • Basically he may or may not be a nice bloke but in my opinion should not be currently racing.

He has served his ban though. Contador and Rasmussen were most likely cheating and circumnavigating the system.
  • Chris_Who
    Chris_Who Posts: 137
    I'm pretty sure he started his post stage 1 tour interview by saying

"..yeah, a one-man race demolition"

which wasn't quite how I saw it but I like the guy, and his diaries were excellent.

Fat people are so insensitive
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    Chris_Who wrote:
    I'm pretty sure he started his post stage 1 tour interview by saying

"..yeah, a one-man race demolition"

which wasn't quite how I saw it but I like the guy, and his diaries were excellent.

He has been known to employ just a touch of irony and self-depreciation at times. :roll:
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • I think he has a very dry sense of humour,and it also depends on the daft questions he gets, to his reply.
  • Millar was often interviewed on the French coverage. His French is superb, very street. Wiggins also speaks excellent French. Millar is interviewed becasue he speaks French, but also because he is good (but not a real star, so available), and also because he says far more interesting things than almost any other rider. After a few interviews about "how the legs felt today", you really do want someone who has a sense of humour, says something you didn't already know and knows what is happening around him. I have always liked him. Often people who know what is going on and give honest answers seem to be arrogant, when in fact they just know what they are talking about and say it directly. He also has a bit more experience of the world than many riders, and seems quite a bit brighter than many as well. This can lead to a perception of arrogance. His doping has always seemed to me to be a little bit like a lad playing around than a comprehensive systemic thing. He certainly does some across as a "hip lad", which also can be seen as arrogant. In fact, he is a bit hip and he is a a bit of a lad, which has always niggled a bit with me. But then they are all a bit laddish. He dresses pretty well too. I find people who can't forgive someone making a mistake or doing something stupid, in whatever line of work, worthy of some serious examination in their own life. People make mistakes. Some people pay for them. Some don't.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I find people who can't forgive someone making a mistake or doing something stupid, in whatever line of work, worthy of some serious examination in their own life. People make mistakes. Some people pay for them. Some don't.

A very valid point. Incidentally I like Millar too.
  • He does dress well, apart from those yellow Crocs that I saw him in at the Smithfield Nocturne...

I don't care how comfortable they are they look wak....
  • I find it difficult to fault the man. He has served his time and is a bit evangelistic, like all ex-cons turned clean.
    We cheered for him at two days of the Tour, and my six-year old wants to be like his hero. I emailed Slipstream when David Millar moved to them, with a photo of my kids cheering him on, and he sent back a very un-arrogant email acknowledgement. Fortunately he did not send a kid's version of the Argyle jersey!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LVXVn0LaoU

I think here he comes across very genuinely, and strikes me as a nice guy but a bit shy and quiet.

I think he's a good example to the tour TBH.

Yes he made a mistake which he feels very bad about. But now he's clean and he's winning races and speaking out very strongly against doping.

GO MILLAR!! WOOO!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • This isn't someone who saw the light and found God. He got caught out, and is making the right noises to mend his reputation, Anyone believe he'd be clean now if he hadn't been caught?
    Cycling is too nice to waste it on getting to work.
  • Garry71 wrote:
    This isn't someone who saw the light and found God. He got caught out, and is making the right noises to mend his reputation, Anyone believe he'd be clean now if he hadn't been caught?
    No,but then again,he's the best we've got at the moment,& if it's ok for the french to idolise Virenque....... :roll:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    Who idolizes Virenque? Tour boss Leblanc tried to ban him from returning to the event but the UCI said he'd served his ban and so ASO was powerless. I remember reading he comes second to right-wing bullyboy Jean Marie LePen in a poll of people the French hate the most. I used to live in Switzerland and they'd broadcast some French TV shows, Virenque is a subject of ridicule: http://youtube.com/watch?v=u1I7X5ku76k
  • Titanium wrote:
    Who idolizes Virenque?

Well I guess the French think he's alright. From Wikipedia:

On September 24, 2004, Richard Virenque announced his retirement from competitive cycling, but has stayed in the public eye, appearing on and winning Je suis une célébrité, sortez-moi de là! (the French version of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!)
  • Je suis une célébrité, sortez-moi de là!

:lol: [/quote]