edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Just got my bike, but now its all the accessories to buy,

What are the essentials ie

clothing (plus any recommendations)

what should i be taking on solo 25 - 50 mile rides

what are the best drinks/energy supplements to take with me

and what have i overlooked

Comments

• Bib shorts with a good pad, chamois cream to stop chaffing (Assos -expensive but v. good), waterproof jacket that folds up to stick in back pocket, overshoes for the winter + lots of lights, long pump to ram down a dogs throat if its big enough to cause you serious damage when attacking you ( or belting morons with - it has a long reach when extended), good gloves for v cold days, a 750ml water bottle (with water - forget expensive energy stuff for up to 50 miles) and a source of cheap fig rolls as four is plenty to get you round a fifty as long a you have had a bowl of porridge before you set out. Cuppa-1.gif
    I must say goodbye to the blindfold
    And pursue the ideal
    The planet becoming the hostess
    Instead of the meal
    Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    You need shoes and pedals (might already have those). Helmet is a must. Mine just saved me from serious injury last week. Shades are nice to have.

As far as clothing goes, good chamois bib shorts are a must. The bibs really do make a difference and keep those privates well in place. A breathable, unzippable cycling jersey. I recommend you go for a few non-branded ones at first. It's obvious if you buy a pro kit replica jersey as your first one, that team will have a huge doping problem in the next week and will end up folding, leaving you to be made fun of by your chaingang mates. Just look at the guys who bought Astana jerseys! Cycling clothing can be obscenely expensive. Don't go for the top of the line yet, if ever. Those Assos shorts are extra-comfy but that shouldn't be a priority now. Don't go for the dirt-cheap ones either, though..

You'll want spare tubes (patching on the road is a b!tch), some kind of inflation device (I like CO2 carts, personally), a multi-tool or at the very least a multi-allen tool. I'm fond of Park Tools, but pretty much any brand does the trick fine. Also always tote around ID and emergency contact info on you, in case you get knocked out in a crash. If you have medical conditions or allergies, make it obvious on the contact sheet.

Unless you can chuck away your bottles and have a team car bring up fresh ones, go for the bigger bottles. Food is more complicated. There's such a huge selection of energy bars/gels/cubes, it's insane. Depending on your ride program, you may need more glucose at one point, more complex carbs and protein at another.... go on the Nutrition forum for this, it warants another thread completely. I like to have real food on me.

Apart from that, have money on you all the time in case you get the hunger knock in the middle of nowhere, or if you have to stuff your disfunctional ride in a cab to get home. All that's missing is a huge grin on your face and a friendly wave to other cyclists, and you're off.

Have a great time out on the road.

JC
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Wiggle DHB bib shorts are good - in fact any DHB stuff seems to be good value - also good value tops at Decathlon. Winter gloves and overshoes from Ozzo.

For lights get a Smart 1/2 watt rear light.
  • Haha... i've been buying my way through the wiggle catalogue getting myself ready for LEJoG next week; i'd give you a comprehensive list of essentials but i'd get so depressed totalling up all of the money i've spent that i might just kill myself.
  • Screw buying expensive kit until you know a bit more about, what type of cycling you are going to be into.

A pair of padded under shorts are a good investment, for £15 means you can wear any shorts as cycling shorts. A wicking top is a good idea too, instead of buying cycling specific stuff but a north face/berghaus type of one...so you can get use outof it off the bike too.

Forget the special shoes and pedals to start off with, it will cost you approx £70 minimum, and they are not essential if you are not racing. If you get into this in the future then sure thing buy them.

What im trying to say is, all you basically need to get out there is you and your bike. Enjoy that, then if you find yourself wanting to get a little more serious then you can buy things along the way. Buy some clothes which fit the purpose and dont make you feel like a pillock, and enjoy riding.

I started out buying all the kit, and now dont use half of it, i dont race, im not bothered if i average 17mph or 19mph......i just try and get out on my bike as much as possible whether it be going for a long ride, or to work or tesco.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You will need:
    Cage & bottle
    Shoes/pedals
    Shorts
    Jersey
    Winter top (buy now)
    Gloves
    Mini Pump
    Spare tubes
    Punture repair kit
    Multi Tool
    Helmet
    LED for rear

You may need:
    Tights
    Glasses
    Lights
    Lock
    Tool Kit (If you know how to use it)
    Track pump (helps get right PSI)
    Saddle bag

Energy drinks would be pretty low on my list.

I may have missed something but that's where I'd start. Get the top list for sure and the rest as and when. Buy decent lights, shorts and helmet. Otherwise go for bog standard/average in terms of price.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • feno46
    feno46 Posts: 66
    Whats the advantage with bib shorts over short shorts?.
    Its how far !!
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Bib shorts don't fall down.

I just wear normal cycling knicks. They don't fall down on me either.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Apart from the very cycling specific stuff (helmet, pedals etc) I'd go for general sports stuff that doesn't flap - wicking top, light fleece, thin rain jacket etc. You'll get more use from it off teh bike and won't feel like such a twerp when you stop to buy a pint/food!
    I pull a cycling vest /gillet over standard outdoor gear - visible, handy rear pockets, easy to take off and look 'normal' (if that is an issue!)

Cycling shorts are great but cheap ones can do the job almost as well as expensive ones, especially if you don't cycle very much. A firm soled shoe is better than a trainer. You could buy an MTB cycling shoe and wait with clips and special pedals until later?

Get tools by all means but learn how to use them FIRST in the comfort of your kitchen/shed/cellar! Pun*'ures are your likeliest problem but good tyres and careful riding can minimise this risk. A moboíle phone and ID are very useful things to carry.. :)
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Energy drinks - I buy big tubs of powder from Holland & B when they are on sale, much cheaper mixing up your own and tastes better than plain water.

I only use carb gels when training hard ( I run 1/2's & marathons but dont race bike). They are sickly and yucky, first option is fine for bike rides and easy training.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I'd say essentials are a pair of shorts (Endura do some decent hard wearing and cheap waist shorts which will be fine) A jersey (hundreds to choose from off Wiggle, Probikekit or Prendas) a pair of mitts, a helmet (if you want) and a gillet or windproof top for when its gets cooler. Basic tools to get you home (although I only carry a puncture repair kit and pump) and stick a banana in your back pocket and a few quid incase you get really hungry. Water in your bottle is fine or watered down fruit juice if you want a bit extra.
    That'll do you fine.
    Have fun!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Padded cycling shorts

Cycling jersey with rear pockets to stash keys, phone etc.

pump

tyre levers

spare tube

patch kit

mini-tool

water bottle (& cage on bike if it doesn't have one)

OS map (at least for the first few rides and always a useful ride planning resource after)

There is a stack more kit needed for wet, windy, cold etc. weather but that should come as no surprise. Go browse in a few shops and you'll soon find out the huge range of kit on offer and variation in prices. I would strongly recommend a track pump for home use, makes keeping your tyres up to pressure way easier. As for energy food/drink just use water and take along some bananas, ceral bars etc.
  • Bibs are also comfier if you are - like me - no longer the svelte slip of a thing you were 20 years ago. No waistband.
    John Stevenson
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Don't forget maps – otherwise you will be relying on chance to find all the good little lanes away from the busy main roads.
  • Thanks for all the advice, but no one said i would need a spare pair of buttocks
  • Oh yeah and a bucket of tarmac

The roads round my way are awful