Pyrenees trip

airegin
airegin Posts: 34
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
We're all set to ride across the Pyrenees this weekend - we're not doing the official raid pyrenean, but something improvised and it'll be self sufficient - no support car and no-one to transfer our bags. We will have a week to do it though.

I've set out the plan below : Is there any key advice that I need to know ?

Flying into Pau then starting with the col de Marie Blanque, Aubisque, Tourmalet, continuing along the legendary cols, and then finishing in Portbou - just across from Cerbere but on the Spanish side.
We won't be doing the busy roads near Andorra - we'll just go from Massat to Querigut, taking in the Port de Pailheres. Then rejoining the official route towards St Cyprien etc.

Accommodation booked -

I'm using road bike with cyclocross wheels, and carrying small panniers. The bike has been serviced so hopefully spare parts required will be minimal.
We'll be doing about 60 miles per day.

This is the first time I'm doing this so have tried to prepare for any eventualilty. The only thing I've had so far is a running race that's taking place up to col d'Aubisque the day we ride up it !! Is there anything else I need to know ?

All ideas welcome.

Cheers
http://www.2wheelchick.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Good luck on your tour, though one thing to be mindfull is the current and forecasted weather. At the moment it is unseasonably wet here in the Pyrenees with temperatures a good few degrees lower than normal. The forecast for over the weekend and into next week is mixed with the potential of snow high up.

This should not affect you directly however as all good scouts say "be prepared".

All the best,

Mike

[url]htttp://www.peak-times.com[/url][/url]
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • cocothedog
    cocothedog Posts: 163
    Hi Mike

Hope your Pyrenees ride went off ok.

I'm doing a ride end Sept to the Pyrenees from the Spanish side so would like to know how your trip went. In particular I'd be grateful for any relevant info on gradients, road surfaces, traffic, frequencies of cafe's/restaurante's/hotels.
    Cheers
    Dennis
    <6 is the first perfect number>