Wheels for Specialized Langster?

donnie murdo
donnie murdo Posts: 986
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
Hey,

I recently bought a Specialized Langster for my daily commute. IMO it's a great bike and does it's job very well. I have already changed a couple of things on it to suit me. I realise that the wheels that it comes fitted with are pretty poor and may not last the course as I go over kerbs and potholes on my daily route.

Can anyone suggest a good set of wheels that come with a flip-flop or singlespeed hub and where I might be able to get them?

Cheers,

Colin

Comments

• That's it follow the hype and buy a Specalized Langster. :x
  • Thanks for your help!

I actually normally shy away from big brands when it comes to mountain bikes. But I needed a bike for work urgently and I wanted a singlespeed roadbike. As luck would have it my LBS had a 07 model Langster in stock and in my size for £320. Bargain! I need a bike that i don't have to care about or for as it will be used only for commuting and will be locked up outside all day. It's perfect for the job that I need it for.
  • Fair enough.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402
    theres a review on the langster London that says they re OK...are they the same?

If they re not going out of true and they re not stupidly heavy i'd keep em till they break, seeing as how they re likely to be knicked or knackered what with commuting?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yeah it's the same bike, The London one is a limited edition to commemorate the start of Le Tour in London this year . The bars and brake levers are different to the standard 07 and 08 models but that is about it.

I would rather get a good pair now that I feel will last rather than have to get them when these ones are bust. Just not sure where you go for these type of wheels?!
  • Actually it looks like a nice bike to me.
  • marmitecp
    marmitecp Posts: 203
    Search ebay for "fixed" in the cycling section or most LBS can build up a pair dependent on budget. I got mavic rims on ambrosio hubs built up for £125. Theres an ad in the back of C+ for a place that does mail order track wheels too.
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Hey, Donnie Murdo, are you named after the gaelic version of Danger Mouse?
  • smiorgan
    smiorgan Posts: 195
    If you really, really want to get a new wheelset, you could either get something cheap, or something more pricey that you're likely to want to take to a new frame if/when the time comes.

On-one provide good cheap hubs, and there are ones by miche, ambrosio etc. (I think the Miche ones may have subtly different threading tho). Some do online wheelbuilding orders

You might consider going upmarket to something like a goldtec wheelset - which has advantages and disadvantages
    - nice wheels, may outlast your interest in the langster to your new frame if that happens
    - can be re-spaced to different OLND (if you pick a new frame that's 135mm instead of 120mm rear spacing)
    - disadvantage - not the standard 42mm chainline (it's 45mm I think)

I'd watch the chainline of a different wheelset anyway - although for riding freewheel probably less of a problem, it will probably vary slightly between manufacturers
  • smiorgan,

Thanks for that. I see no point in taking to a new frame as it should last a long time and is IMO perfect for it's purpose. the wheels will not last any time as they suffer far more abuse that the frame ever will. I will have a look at the On-One website.

Cheers,

Star_rover,

Yes I am!

DM
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    pretty much any set of wheels will be better than the stock set that come with the wrongster.

i can recommend mavic cpx22s, pretty much indestructible, especially if you get them hand built. expect to pay 120-150 for wheelset.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I actually normally shy away from big brands when it comes to mountain bikes. But I needed a bike for work urgently and I wanted a singlespeed roadbike. As luck would have it my LBS had a 07 model Langster in stock and in my size for £320. Bargain! I need a bike that i don't have to care about or for as it will be used only for commuting and will be locked up outside all day. It's perfect for the job that I need it for.

£320 is indeed a bargain for a bike that's going to outside a lot. I'll be doing a training course in september and I really don't want to leave my road/mtb's bikes outside the college all day.