Using the bike during the flood, what next?

A - W
A - W Posts: 253
edited December 1969 in Commuting chat
Right then after the flooding around my area in Hull I need to get some oil for my chain etc as it went through many a large puddle/flooded area and it has a bit of surface rust on so wanting to make sure everything is ok.

Anyone any other advice to help look after my bike as in a couple of occasions the water was over the hubs.

Thanks.
FCN 10

Comments

• A - W
    Bike is a Spesh Sirrus Elite if that makes any difference?
    FCN 10
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Just use any quality wet lube, Finish Line etc. After riding in poor conditions you should also hose your bike down to get rid of grit/crap etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    HEADSHOP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • dont hose your bike down, you'll wash the grease out of the bottom bracket and headset.

wash it by hand, sprey the gears with WD40 or GT85 to dislodge water, then use finishline wet lube
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Random Vince</i>

dont hose your bike down, you'll wash the grease out of the bottom bracket and headset.

wash it by hand, sprey the gears with WD40 or GT85 to dislodge water, then use finishline wet lube
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just a quick question, I was recommended dry lube for my chain by my LBS is there a reason why wet lube is better? (I always used to use 3 in 1 oil...)
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Wiping the chain after a wet ride and then putting on any oil should protect it!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • frogcp
    frogcp Posts: 1,194
    I don't think riding the bike through hub deep water is a good idea. The pedals will be dipped in and out, the hubs will get water in them, as will the bottom bracket. I don't think you can actually ride a bike in water that is headset deep.

The grease in the bearings will emulsify (sp) with the water and help to flush the lubricant out of the bearing. The water will cause rust and that will knacker up the bearing. I'd recommend you strip down and re-lube any bearing that has been ridden through deep water, even for a short time.

Vultures circling high in a clear blue sky - must be a traffic jam near by.

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    *Ahem* Yes you can!

http://llanwrtyd-wells.powys.org.uk/bog.html

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • A - W
    Thanks for the advice so far.

I thought hubs were sealed and therefore you shouldn't get any water in?

Sorry for being thick, but whats wet/dry lubes and can anyone recommend some please?
    How much should I put on?

Having riden in this morning there is defiant chain rattle/squeak. I wil endevour to give it a good clean all round some evening or at the weekend.
    FCN 10
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    I need this advice cos of the floods, too.
    I ride a Spesh Sirrus elite, too. Spooky!
  • domtyler
    edited March 2011
    Wet lube for wet weather
    Dry lube for dry weather

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">don't hose your bike down, you'll wash the grease out of the bottom bracket and headset." <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rubbish, never with a standard garden hose, maybe with a pressure washer though.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I don't think riding the bike through hub deep water is a good idea.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't think he was doing it for the fun of it, some areas of the country have had floods if you've missed the news.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    I PEN VAPORIZER
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • I always wash my bike with the pressure washer. I use a de-greaser and a couple of different brushes and give everything a really good clean. My other half says that I should get all the grit and dirt out of everthing otherwise it wears things too quickly.

I always re-lubricate everything after too. Is this wrong then?[?]

**All I'm trying to do is get to work**
    **All I\'m trying to do is get to work**
  • A - W
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by maz</i>

I need this advice cos of the floods, too.
    I ride a Spesh Sirrus elite, too. Spooky!

Spooky. [:)]
    FCN 10
  • A - W
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Wet lube for wet weather
    Dry lube for dry weather

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">don't hose your bike down, you'll wash the grease out of the bottom bracket and headset." <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rubbish, never with a standard garden hose, maybe with a pressure washer though.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I don't think riding the bike through hub deep water is a good idea.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't think he was doing it for the fun of it, some areas of the country have had floods if you've missed the news.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

It wasn't by choice, it couldn't be helped as the water was up to knee level and I wanted to get home.

If I'd have been in the car I'd have had to leave it stranded as did many. It looked in parts like everyone had just run and left their cars.
    FCN 10
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would clean, dry and regrease all affected bearings soon as possible (pedals,bb,headset,hubs). Leaving it till later could be expensive. If you have a sealed bottom bracket cartridge unit then this may not be possible, or you may be lucky and it is well sealed. I would ride using the sealed bb until it becomes apparent it has been affected, then replace if necessary.
  • A - W
    Thanks for that xroads. Will have a go tonight once the kids are tucked up.

Any recommendations for greasing?
    FCN 10
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I dont go for any brand names/makes, just use a tub of cheap motor grease I used on my car (castrol general purpose grease). For the chain, I rinse/scrub using white spirit, dry, dip in chainsaw oil, hang to drip, then wipe down.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by A - W</i>

Oh, I really wouldn't grease the kids. They'll just keep slipping out of bed...

[;)]

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • A - W
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by A - W</i>

Oh, I really wouldn't grease the kids. They'll just keep slipping out of bed...

[;)]

[:D][:D]
    FCN 10
  • domtyler
    edited March 2011
    You could try greasing up the wife and yourself before bed though, just a thought, might be fun.

I'll, er, get me coat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Digital Vaporizer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • frogcp
    frogcp Posts: 1,194
    I always thought that wet and dry referred to the state of the lube rather than the conditions. Wet describes such as oil based lubes which remain liquid after application. These penetrate the bearing but attract muck. Dry describe lubes which have a liquid penetrant to carry the actual lube into the bearing but that evaporates off leaving the lube behind. As they're dry road muck doesn't stick.

Please feel free to correct [:)]

BM, Never heard of bog-snorkeling?? How do they stay down - unless they clipped into the pedals. I can just imagine some future descendant of Arch finding some well preserved snorkller and his bike in the peat. [:D]

• Mr Celine
    Mr Celine Posts: 170
    I also ride a Spesh Sirrus (Comp if it matters) and it has been ridden through floods, is regularly ridden through fords and all recent rides have included torrential rain or thunderstorms. I've never had to regrease or replace hubs or BBs. Standing water such as floods is not under pressure and your bearings should be full of grease so it is unlikely that much water will have got in.
    Give your bike a good hose down afterwards. If your water pressure is high, keep the hose well back and if your are using a pressure washer keep even further back, as water <i>under pressure</i> can force its way into your bearings.
    When you've hosed it down get rid of as much water as possible by bouncing the bike, spinning the pedals etc, then spray the chain and mechs with GT85 or WD40 to repel water.
    Leave to dry then apply chain lube - wet if you're going a long way in the rain, otherwise in summer use the dry lube as its less messy.

<i>What is grey and comes in pints?</i>
  • frustruck
    frustruck Posts: 373
    If you cycle in water well above the front hub, the front wheel will act like a rudder above about 4 mph. It is a strange feeling as you have to steer 'backwards' to get anywhere.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by frog</i>

I always thought that wet and dry referred to the state of the lube rather than the conditions. Wet describes such as oil based lubes which remain liquid after application. These penetrate the bearing but attract muck. Dry describe lubes which have a liquid penetrant to carry the actual lube into the bearing but that evaporates off leaving the lube behind. As they're dry road muck doesn't stick.

Please feel free to correct [:)]

BM, Never heard of bog-snorkeling?? How do they stay down - unless they clipped into the pedals. I can just imagine some future descendant of Arch finding some well preserved snorkller and his bike in the peat. [:D]

as already said, and printed on the finishline bottles,

wet lube is for extreme conditions, and stays slightly wet

dry lube forms a coating but doesnt allow dust and dirt to stick to it.
  • My current bike has been ridden through dozens of fords and quite a few of these have been above the level of the hubs. Last winter during the melt after a big snowfall in Worcestershire I rode through one up to the level of the top tube. I was particularly amused as the same ford defeated a Mercedes 4x4 which was stranded in the middle !
    My hubs are a Sohn dynohub at the front and Shimano Deore XT rear and both seem absolutely fine as is the bottom bracket. Brief immersion in water won't do too much harm to a set of sealed bearings IMO.

Regards