Northern Soul, ska and punk [:D].
    But also Iron Maiden and Moby [:I].

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>
    Surprised by omission by association of, for example, mamas and papas, the smiths, madness?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hmmmm, Of course, Hmmmm (respectively)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Wheres Debussy Ravel mussorgsky prokofiev authentic american 50's sun inspired rockabilly???[:0][?]

Yes, Hmmmm, Yes, Hmmmm, if I'm in the mood... [:)]

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Flying_Monkey
    Right. Something Mr Paul said on another thread in Cake Stop means I just have to get something out of my system.

'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol. The first time I heard this, I thought it was Westlife with guitars. Seriously. That bad. Worse than Keane meets Take That. Take everything that's cliched about mainstream 'indie' guitar bands that have totally forgotten anything about independence and what it meant, and hitch to everything that's bland and emotionally illiterate about the most crass manufactured pop. It's so cynical, so clearly devised to 'make it', such a betrayal of any notion of taste. And what's worse? When my stupid neighbour gets drunk and comes back having been unable to pull or something, she puts it on full volume and sings along in an out-of-key maudlin manner that seems to just accentuate everything that is bad about the song in the first place. The strange thing is I saw Snow Patrol before they were famous, and they were okay... not great, but funny, charming and forgettable. Now they may just about have reached the nadir of civilisation as we know it... (cont. p.94).

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

That I got no cerebellum
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Well, as Louis Walsh says, "oi loik it". I'm understanding of the whole 'real' music thing, but sometimes a song comes along that you have to make allowance for.

I was a pretty keen Iain Archer fan years ago, in his pre-SP days. At the time he was pretty much unplugged with a Lowden, and was really rather good.

• Flying_Monkey
    Sorry, Mister P - couldn't hold it in.
    [:)]

That I got no cerebellum
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

With clothes you do largely get what you pay for. A œ100 shirt will look a lot nicer than a œ15 shirt. The better materials used can be clearly seen. I get lots of comments on the shirts I wear, whereas other people don't.

But it all depends if you want to pay œ100 for a shirt I suppose. To me, I like looking my best and am happy to pay for the quality and style that goes with it. Others (most people!) clearly don't see it as important which is fair enough.

Ah yes, but an opportunistist scrabble around TK Maxx can easily blow that theory out of the water.

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

With clothes you do largely get what you pay for. A œ100 shirt will look a lot nicer than a œ15 shirt. The better materials used can be clearly seen. I get lots of comments on the shirts I wear, whereas other people don't.

But it all depends if you want to pay œ100 for a shirt I suppose. To me, I like looking my best and am happy to pay for the quality and style that goes with it. Others (most people!) clearly don't see it as important which is fair enough.

Ah yes, but an opportunistist scrabble around TK Maxx can easily blow that theory out of the water.

Yes, but a œ100 shirt discounted to œ15 is still a œ100 quality shirt and remains much better than a fully priced œ15 shirt from Asda.

Not sure if The Benj has been out to check the differences as he hasn't commented yet.
  • Mister Paul

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

Yes, but a œ100 shirt discounted to œ15 is still a œ100 quality shirt and remains much better than a fully priced œ15 shirt from Asda.

So you don't always get what you pay for then?

• Joe Sacco

So you don't always get what you pay for then?

Not always, no. What point are you trying to make here, I am talking about quality of shirt material? I think we have to stick to retail prices for true comparisons!
  • Mister Paul
    The point is that you don't always get what you pay for.

• Joe Sacco

That's great. Got any other words of wisdom? [:)]

You still get a better quality shirt for œ100 than œ15 though, whether it is œ85 better is subjective but it all depends on if you care about how you look I suppose.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Umm, how about...class as an analytical concept doesn't explain contemporary patterns in taste/cultural consumption - ie bourdieu is problematic? How about place, community (putnam) and tribe (maffelosi) as alternative explanations?

Strange, I was thinking something just along those lines...

• Anonymous
    Aw. That naughty chair really has done you good, young papercorn.
    [FYI I metaphorically tied papercorn to the naughty chair for being a bit cheeky in a deleted thread on cakestop about a month ago.]

...I tend to make an effort to give anything a go first time around and that's all I can do...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I don't; time is limited. After a while, one knows what is likely to reward an investment of it.

And when high expectations are disappointed, you feel that precious time has been stolen from you [V]

<font size="1">So you voted, and now you've got a government. I just hope YOU like it.</font id="size1">
  • Anonymous
    NickM, I couldn't agree with you more. That's my approach to these things, but FM is unusually broad minded I think! We have argued - proper head to head - about this in the past.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kirstie</i>

Aw. That naughty chair really has done you good, young papercorn.
    [FYI I metaphorically tied papercorn to the naughty chair for being a bit cheeky in a deleted thread on cakestop about a month ago.]

Yeah, and for how long...?
    Two bloody weeks, that's how long. I make one mildly sexist joke and Lilith here thinks that she can tie me to a chair in a condemned tenement in a run-down provincial city for two weeks!

You eventually turn up, sporting a silly grin, a new hair-cut and pathetic excuse about too many bacardi breezers and getting in a fight outside a second rate nightclub and expecting me to find it funny!

Well you, miss mentalist have caused me weeks of trauma! I've spent a fortune on shrinks and spent the last three weeks drunk!

Boohooboohoohoohoo![:(]

• Anonymous
    LOL! There there. I'll use the silk rope next time.
    But Bacardi Breezers? Mine's a Blue WKD, make no mistake

<cowers in corner>

Nooooooo leave me alone!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    LOL [:D]

no, but maybe you can educate me.

What is it about conforming to wear a strip of material tied around your neck that makes one look smart? Who decided this? What purpose does it serve?

• Joe Sacco

no, but maybe you can educate me.

What is it about conforming to wear a strip of material tied around your neck that makes one look smart? Who decided this? What purpose does it serve?

Sorry, can't help with that one as I don't wear a tie. Probably a good reason in the past for wearing one though, maybe you could look into it using the internet?
  • Mister Paul
    I've got better things to do, Mr Cowell. Like winding Bonjy up.