Left, right, left, right angst.

2»

Comments

• Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    well that's sort of what I meant. I accept that the British Army kill many more than 'they' do. I simply can't see the worth of it. The US counted every body part, ran up a total of millions, and what was it all for?

I'm not disputing the 'war aims'. I don't know enough to do so. I just don't see how killing that number of people is going to bear a political reward.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon L2</i>

I just don't see how killing that number of people is going to bear a political reward.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At the sharp end it's about personal survival. The Paras slaughtered vast numbers of Taliban as they attacked the outposts. If they hadn't done so, then they themselves would have been killed. I was seeking to reassure rothbook that his nephew is in rather less danger than he thinks because a Para unit is perfectly capable of looking after itself.

In Iraq a group of military policemen got trapped by a mob and all were killed. The same happened to a Para patrol and they fought their way out and all lived. When the chips are down, it's best to be with an elite unit.
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    of course you're right.

I still think that Rothers' nephew should be helped to a fuller understanding of his own potential though. And the uniform might help.
  • I suspect that Rother's nephew will have a better understanding once he takes his uniform off. At the risk of sounding didactic, different units in the army have different functions. The two primary strike forces are the Paras and the Marines. The Marines pride themselves on being the thinking man's soldier. The Paras pride themselves on being soldiers. They are hard, nasty and very aggressive. They are the last person you want to talk to in a pub, and the first person you'd want next to you in a fight. A young Para officer has a lot to live up to and a lot to prove to the men - but thinking isn't high on the agenda.