This isn't anyone here is it?

Archcp
Archcp Posts: 8,987
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
A film where, in an effort to show up some pretty crap bus driving, the film maker makes an elementary mistake - passing down the inside of a long vehicle, which might move off at any moment..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4SYxMnU ... ed&search=

I think I'd have just stayed behind...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.

Comments

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Yes, it was stupid by the cyclist. Buses always do that because their drivers are always pillocks.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I'm afraid the person in question <i>is</i> a forum member. I can't remember his user name though. Very naughty!

SNAPS
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Oh dear! Panticle wrote a good comment there. Bad driving, but also bad cycling.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

Oh dear! Panticle wrote a good comment there. Bad driving, but also bad cycling.

<font size="1">My bikes

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, that Panticle is really sensible. Really has her head screwed on right. I believe she's also excellent company for dinner, and a natural wit and raconteur...

And makes great films, like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9onKKAnzhOU

[;)]

• BentMikey
    Doh! I mixed you up with someone else I know online, sorry!

<font size="1">My bikes

• Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

Doh! I mixed you up with someone else I know online, sorry!

<font size="1">My bikes

Even I get confused, having a couple of different usernames for here and elsewhere... [;)]

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I ignore cycle lanes when I'm cycling, so it doesn't bother me much when motorists ignore them too. I'd probably have gone up the inside of that bus too.
    What this vid shows me seems 100% everyday normal behaviour by cyclists and bus drivers.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    I've seen a few of his videos before and quite a few replys comment on his cycle craft or lack of. There's even a local news piece on there from a slow news day.
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    Yes he shouldn't have gone down the left. As well as being generally dangerous, it was obvious from the video that space was tight. I wonder if the wearer does maneuvers like this to provoke conflict to get some video to post.

As for the cycle lanes in the video, yet again I think they need to be ignored. They led the cyclists up the left at the lights[:0], and they discourage proper road positioning at the junction[:0].
  • dondare
    When there's room and time to do so, filtering up the left does not give rise to conflict. Under certain circumstances it can get you killed, but years of experience allow me to identify these circumstances.
    The space looks a bit tight, maybe some of you have wide handle bars or panniers? Looked like plenty of room to me given that the bus was stationary at the lights. I'd have held back only if there wan't time to pass the bus before the lights changed and the bus started moving, and the cyclist making the film judged that about right.
    But for an inexperienced cyclist or anyone not absolutely sure that they had the time to get through, then it was a risky move, and I'd not recommend it.

• Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

When there's room and time to do so, filtering up the left does not give rise to conflict. Under certain circumstances it can get you killed, but years of experience allow me to identify these circumstances.
    The space looks a bit tight, maybe some of you have wide handle bars or panniers? Looked like plenty of room to me given that the bus was stationary at the lights. I'd have held back only if there wan't time to pass the bus before the lights changed and the bus started moving, and the cyclist making the film judged that about right.
    But for an inexperienced cyclist or anyone not absolutely sure that they had the time to get through, then it was a risky move, and I'd not recommend it.

The thing that struck me was that the lights change pretty soon after he gets to the front. If that was me, and they'd been red for a while as I approached, I'd assume they might be about to change. I only filter on the left for as far as I can be sure I'll get before the lights change - so sometimes I'm waiting back a bit for a while, but better to be safe than sorry.

• njc97
    njc97 Posts: 184
    Why did the cyclist need to go to the front anyway ? He's never going to outrun the bus, so even in best case scenario he forces the bus to sit behind him till the road gets wider. Surely the safest action would have been to stop and wait behind the bus till the lights changed.
  • dondare
    The back end of a bus is very stinky. I avoid waiting there if I can.

• dondare
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

The thing that struck me was that the lights change pretty soon after he gets to the front. If that was me, and they'd been red for a while as I approached, I'd assume they might be about to change. I only filter on the left for as far as I can be sure I'll get before the lights change - so sometimes I'm waiting back a bit for a while, but better to be safe than sorry.

If that'd been me, the answer would be that I knew the timing of the lights because I ride there every day. I'd also know that the bus wasn't about to turn left. I'd know the distance to the next bus stop and how much room the driver had to get past me between the lights and the stop.

• Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    And it was quite obvious they wanted to get to the front of the coach to confront the driver (you can tell since the video cuts and jumps at that point)

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    As a general rule I tell myself that as long as it's in front of me, a big heavy vehicle can't kill me!

But that said, on my regular route home I pass a very similar junction to the one in the video and - like Dondare says above - because I know the phasing of the lights I know whether I've got time to get infront of a bus and up to the ASL before the lights change. Then as long as I get a good start from the lights I can beat the bus to the bus stop 50m past the lights knowing that the vast majority of busses stop there so it's unlikely to pass me again.
  • magnatom
    Maybe I'm a big girls blouse [:D], but I avoid going up the left of large vehicles whenever I can. What happens if the phase of the lights has been changed (Some lights near me change the length of the phases at different times of the day). What if the driver decides to let a passenger off at the lights (yes he should look but....), what if he is daydreaming and decides to go even though the lights haven't changed (I've seen it happen!).What happens if that bus is out of service and is turning left?

It just isn't worth risking it for a few seconds advantage. If you know the bus is likely to stop just after the lights, why not wait until then to pass it safely on the left?
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    magnatom:-

All valid points, but what if you stay behind the bus and he accidently engages reverse and plows backwards into you?

It's risk/reward.

I go down the side of some HGV/PCVs when I think it's safe. I don't when I don't think it's completely unsafe. I sometimes do when I think it's almost completely safe and sometimes it turns out to be the wrong decision.

What you think is unsafe someone else might think is only slightly unsafe and risk it.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Greenbank</i>

magnatom:-

What you think is unsafe someone else might think is only slightly unsafe and risk it.

This is why I decided a while ago not to undertake these at all at junctions. We all make mistakes and if I was to make a misjudgement it could have serious consequences. My blanket ban means that I won't make that mistake.

Cycling is safe, and has some, but very small risks attached to it. However, in my opinion, undertaking large vehicles at junctions is the most dangerous thing a cyclist can do on the roads, and recent events in London back this up. I just can't see how it is worth the risk. I'd rather a 10 second delay.
  • True, but if you really want to get past them, why not do it on the right, where they expect something to come from?

The art of cycling safely ni high traffic environments is an excercise risk minimisation by the cyclist. Going up the left of any vehicle carries risk, and the bigger the vehilce the bigger the risk.

Personally I just don't do it, and any time I may lose by sitting there until it gets out of the way is fine with me, especially if sed bus / coach etc speeds up to faster than I can ride I get a free surf and don't get overtaken by an HGV. Result!

• That was a pretty bad cycling -- passing big buses/lorries/cars on the left is not the best idea. If I were in a similar situation, I'd take a primary position behind the bus. That would discourage any cars behind me from overtaking me dangerously and I could then draft the bus.
  • dondare
    Primary position behind buses is stinky and drafting buses is a bit risky in itself.

• BentMikey
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

Primary position behind buses is stinky and drafting buses is a bit risky in itself.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised at your position in this topic. Sure, I agree that there are times when it's good to go to the front, but I don't think this is one of those cases. I'll bet the coach driver was weeed off, quite rightly, though I think he was also an utter blunt for driving like that.

<font size="1">My bikes

• dondare
    I've just watched it again with sound. The bus sounds angry, but I can't see why. The cyclist couldn't have been actually blocking the bus at any point. Drifting into the cycle-lane occurred at a safe distance ahead after he'd overtaken. It really does all seem very commonplace to me.

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If the lights have just changed then there's plenty of time to get down the inside safely - I don't see the problem for an experienced rider - it's safe and legal and as someone else pointed out if the bus did run the light there is an escape route.

The cyclist does nothing that should antagonise the bus driver - the driver puts the cyclist at risk by encroaching on the cycle lane.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dondare

I must admit I'm a bit surprised at your position in this topic. Sure, I agree that there are times when it's good to go to the front, but I don't think this is one of those cases. I'll bet the coach driver was weeed off, quite rightly, though I think he was also an utter blunt for driving like that.

<font size="1">My bikes

Don't suppose I'd try it on a 'bent.