Which MTB?

greggyccp
greggyccp Posts: 5
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
I'm currently road riding and doing triathlons and looking to get into mountain biking and adventure racing. I've been looking at a specialized FSR xc and lapierre x-control. Both are full suspension. Not sure if this is a good idea for racing

Comments

• Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    Look at 5" machines for adventure racing Your body will thank you.

All the big boys do great toys at this market segment.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • greggyccp
    greggyccp Posts: 5
    Sorry about my ignorance in this field but what is 5"? is this the equivalent of 120mm travel on rear wheel? Most seem to do 4" or 120mm
  • he's saying you need a 5 inch travel bike for what you might be doing.

Its only in recent years that anyone has started using FULL SUSPENSION bikes for XC racing, and many racers still use rigid bikes on flat courses. Its worth considering what you really want the bike for and what kind of terrain you'll be riding on.

i personally would use a rigid bike (oh i do!) as there is less to go wrong and they are lighter. but i would use a front suspension fork. most racers are still using short travel forks maybe 80mm or at most 100mm (4 inches only!)

What kind of racing are you planning to do?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    There is a vast range out there. I guess it depends on the type of adventure racing - you mean enduros? There are some lovely super light carbon fibre or ti bikes out there, but if you intend to race in mucky Irish conditions maybe you should be looking at something like the Thorn Raven Enduro with its mudproof Rohloff and simple (albeit heavy) frame. A lot of the nicer bikes will simply die after a few hours exposure to mud and rain.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.' Hunter S. Thompson

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • Might be worth sticking a post on here as well:

http://www.whatmtb.com/forum/

I'm not a failure - I'm a deferred success!
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    I just took delivery of this last week, and it's awesome.
    Equivalent UK bike is probably a kona dawg primo, which I can testify to as i've ridden one at dalby.
  • I've got a Kona Dawg Primo and it is spot on around the likes of Afan and Glyncorrwg trails. It also works well in places like the Brecon Beacons if that's any help!

fat-boy tryin'
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    OT:
    I just don't get this MTB suspension thing at all. I have a road bike for the roads, and a hardtail MTB for MTBing. I do fairly difficult trails/rides etc, and it really issn't a problem. The manufacturers keep coming up with four-point, soft-ride, springy-b0ll0cks etc, but...er...I don't get it!

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">kinckers kanckers konckers</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • ashbyalien
    ashbyalien Posts: 609
    it depends what you're doing.

i've got 1 road bike, a hardtail that i use for general off road stuff and as my winter hack and a 4" full suspension bike that i use for 24 hour races.

as much as i'd like to have a lightweight mtb for racing, from past experience, my body says no. full sus has its place, for most of the uk i'd argue that you dont need 5" or above, sure full sus mtb's are heavier and slightly more maintenance but they do allow you to ride longer, faster and in more comfort. and thats got to be a good thing.

<font size="1"><font color="red">www.myspace.com/sfcv2</font id="red"></font id="size1">
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Get a light one. It'll be easier to push up the hills...

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fnaar</i>

I just don't get this MTB suspension thing at all. I have a road bike for the roads, and a hardtail MTB for MTBing. I <b>do</b> fairly difficult trails/rides etc, and it really issn't a problem. The manufacturers keep coming up with four-point, soft-ride, springy-b0ll0cks etc, but...er...I don't get it!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    It's not just about whether or not you can <b>do</b> a particular trail, it's about how fast you can go. I could DO one of the downhill tracks at wharncliffe on a HT, but I wouldn't be going very fast...
  • its a compromise though isn't it?
    FS bikes will be more comfortable over really bumpy ground, maybe even a little faster.
    BUT the trade off is that they weigh more and are of negligible effect going uphill,
    or on the flat.

But as with all cycling the thing that makes people go faster is the quality of the engine,
    not the quality of the bike.

If the OP is racing, it would make sense to use a hardtail UNLESS he's racing downhills.

Then again he might just buy a bike because he likes the colour [;)]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    I have an Inbred. What more can you possibly need? [;)]

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    Presuming the OP budget is around œ800 - a good hard tail would be my choice.
    If money is no object, get an expensive light full suspension bike. With FS, the back wheel is in contact with the ground more which is very nice on fast bumpy descents and also noticeable on the flat and even on climbs - I think they are a little faster all in all if you are riding fast on proper rough stuff.

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    Specialized Epic is a great midpoint between FS and hardtail. The 'brain' feature on the rear shock means that you can keep it locked up for most of the time, but that it will absorb bumps/roots/sensible drops when you need it to. I was sceptical when I borrowed one for a trial last year but was soon converted. It's a great piece of kit that works just how it says on the tin.