Worn rim

rustychaincp
rustychaincp Posts: 235
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I've just discovered that my front rim, built into a Shimano dyno hub, is completely worn. I'm not very impressed with the rate of wear (my MTB rims last longer). How do I go about finding an alternative rim, where I can use the same spokes? The rim I'm replacing is a Ambrosio Keba.

Ta

Comments

• Paul Lavery
    Paul Lavery Posts: 1,463
    I thought for a minute there you were 'coming out'! Moving swiftly on, I've had a similar problem with my CXP33's wearing out. The problem isn't the rims, but the hardness of the brake blocks. I'm in the process of having another set of wheels built and will be paying more attention to rim [material] and brake block [material] compatibility this time round.

Only ever regret the things you didn't do!

Only ever regret the things you didn\'t do!
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    See this other thread on worn rims and brake blocks:

www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?T ... hichpage=2

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I think Mavic make their own brake blocks.
    Anyhow, I'm using Swissstops, which are a lot better than the Tektro blocks I had before.
    GHP (green high performance) are good - I'm using them - faster stopping, and possibly less wear too - difficult to tell if the reduction in wear is actually due to my rims having "bedded-in".
    They also make a black compound which may be even more rim friendly.

Koolstops also get good reviews here.

I have seen the odd thread (I think the main one was on the CTC forum) suggesting that at least 1 person had found their Mavic ceramic rim to suddenly shatter/split. Not sure if this is a fatigue issue to do with the harder ceramic rim material, or whether it was just bad luck.
  • rustychaincp
    rustychaincp Posts: 235
    I've found the original receipt and the rim is 2 years old. I guess the wear is reasonable as it's on my urban untility bike, which gets used every day and receives little maintenance. Looking at the wear pattern, the offside rim is unevenly warn, probably due to poor brake set up. [:I]

Going back to my original query, is there a way to determine if a replacement rim will allow me to use the same spokes (ie are the eyelets at the same radius as the Keba rim I'm replacing)?
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Simplest would be to get another Keba, and use less aggressive brake blocks to try and make it last as long as possible.

For finding other rims that will take the same spokes, look for a spoke length calculator that has a rim and hub database built in
    - eg Damon Rinard's Spocalc.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Is reuse of spokes a good idea ? I'd always assumed that rescuing hubs might be ok, but the rest should probably be binned when the rims have had it.