Advice for Born Again Cyclist wanted

Moovie
Moovie Posts: 22
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
Hello all, I guess after well over 20 years off a bike I would probably be classed as a beginner again, so here is my situation and looking for advice and suggestions .......

Want to get back into biking as a form of recreation and also as a keep-fit method.
My end goal is to be able to get to around 75 miles a day on occasion for weekend tours - and maybe even do a LEJOG possibly eventually [?]
Age is 45 and fitness level is ok (strength fair, stamina poor).
I have a Ridgeback Horizon, which I guess would be classed as a midrange fast tourer (24 speed, 700c-25) and I have just started riding again this week.
I live in Devon, so as soon as I go out the door I am presented with big hills [:(].
What is the best way to back into the cycling - I am finding the hills a real challenge (well, going UP them anyway [:D]). Should I just perserver and it will get better or try and find a flatter circuit to train on to build up fitness?

All suggestions greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Moovie

2006 Ridgeback World Horizon Touring
???? Ridgeback MBR

Comments

• gaterz1981
    gaterz1981 Posts: 503
    Hills do hurt, just keep at it. Many on this forum have asked the same thing about hills when starting up. Just spin a low gear on hills to save your knees. Dont over do it to start with and listen to your body.

I think living somewhere hilly is better as anything else is a bonus that way, imagine how people from Norfolk feel when then cycle in a place with hills!!!! (only a example...i have nothing against norfolk)

I work hard because millions on benefits depend on me
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... 81/MTB.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Steady away and keep enjoying it.[:)]

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • Moovie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gaterz1981</i>

Hills do hurt, just keep at it. Many on this forum have asked the same thing about hills when starting up. Just spin a low gear on hills to save your knees. Dont over do it to start with and listen to your body.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">They sure do - the final hill back to my house is 1/2 mile long and a constant 1:4 gradient - my first mini-goal is to tackle that in one hit [8D] - getting a bit closer each time (done three runs in four days since my 'reborn' status)
    but as you say - listen to your body - My HRM is telling me I am reaching 180 for a fair bit of the run, so don't want to go too mad too early [:)]

Cheers, Moovie

???? Ridgeback MBR
  • PaulSB
    PaulSB Posts: 821
    Moovie, I'm 53 and returned to cycling about 15 years ago. Although I'm currently recovering from an injury and have hardly pushed a pedal in 3-4 months I would normally expect to be able to ride 75-80 quite comfortably. 2-3 times a year I do 100 milers, organised ones, which are very tough for the last 20 miles or so but I always make it.

My riding is similar to your intentions. Better riders will have other views but as an ordinary bloke on a bike I'd say this. I still remember being pleased at doing 10 miles!!

1. Just ride. This is the best, and only, way to develop the fitness and stamina you need.
    2. Regular rides always going a little further will quickly push you along
    3. Set a target. Perhaps find a local charity ride of 50-60 miles. Use this as your target and build towards it. When I was doing this my aim was to build to the point that I could do the distance by a week before the event. You'll find when you do the event it's much easier with others around you. Plus you'll feel great passing all those who haven't touched a bike in years!
    4. Hills? Just spin in a low comfortable gear, it took me a long time to learn this but it works
    5. Stay on the middle ring for most of your riding. Again took me years to learn this as I thought the harder I worked on the big ring the faster I must be going
    6. Understand how to eat to keep your body well supplied with food and water.
    7. Learn to stretch after each ride. It will take away the next day's stiffness.

If you've just started, ride regualrly and are reasonably fit there is no reason why you shouldn' be up to 75-80 miles by the end of the summer. the trick is then to keep going through the winter so you are close to that standard next spring!!!!

<font color="blue">~~~~~</font id="blue">
    www.brfcs.com - the fans choice since 1996
    <font color="red">Paul</font id="red">
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi Moovie

EXCELLENT ADVICE FROM PaulSB!

I'm of similar vintage and returned to full-time cycling nearly 5 years ago. At first I could barely manage 6 or 7 miles, now 60 or 70 is a stroll in the park, I ride with a club, and probably get-out 3 times per week.
    Many friends of mid-40's have also taken up cycling in the last few years, one severely overweight guy inspired by the rest of us bought a bike after Christmas having never cycled, by end of April was doing 50 milers, since then he's upped the miles, has lost 4.5 Stone and will do his first 100 with us in a few weeks time.

As PaulsSB says, try and get-out regularly if only for 30 mins. Try and increase waat you did last time...bit further or a bit faster maybe. Vary your regular routes, have easy lazy sessions as well as harder sessions. Most of all enjoy being on the bike, it should not be a chore. Although aimoing for distance, short faster sessions really help build stamina, cardiovascular fitness and strength.

Welcome to C+ forum.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • When I started mountain biking in 1992 I remember trying to get up hills with burning legs, gasping for breath, lungs hurting even feeling sick on morning rides, now I am 15 years older and I can get up the same hills no bother, just get in a low gear and keep the pedals turning, much to the annoyance of younger mates!

My advice is to try to get out 2-3 times a week all year round over distances that you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel up to it, either don't bother or just a short local loop, for example I often do 20 miles after work for a token bit of exercise. If you feel keen, push yourself to do a longer/hillier route.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

Hi Moovie

EXCELLENT ADVICE FROM PaulSB!

I'm of similar vintage and returned to full-time cycling nearly 5 years ago. At first I could barely manage 6 or 7 miles, now 60 or 70 is a stroll in the park, I ride with a club, and probably get-out 3 times per week.
    Many friends of mid-40's have also taken up cycling in the last few years, one severely overweight guy inspired by the rest of us bought a bike after Christmas having never cycled, by end of April was doing 50 milers, since then he's upped the miles, has lost 4.5 Stone and will do his first 100 with us in a few weeks time.

As PaulsSB says, try and get-out regularly if only for 30 mins. Try and increase waat you did last time...bit further or a bit faster maybe. Vary your regular routes, have easy lazy sessions as well as harder sessions. Most of all enjoy being on the bike, it should not be a chore. Although aimoing for distance, short faster sessions really help build stamina, cardiovascular fitness and strength.

Welcome to C+ forum.

Fab's TCR1
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds like me too, I'm 46 and I've been back cycling for about 5 years. One thing I noticed is that I get more aches and pains than when I was younger, so I'd definitely recommend spinning in a moderate gear to save the knees and if you can get someone to give you a massage after long rides that helps to releave muscle pain.

Setting goals is a great way to improve. Last summer I was invited to some weekend BBQs and rode my bike the 50 to 60 miles there, stayed overnight and rode back the next day. It was a good topic of conversation at the party.

Most importantly enjoy your riding, don't kill yourself or do it so often that it becomes a chore
  • Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    Hello Moovie - I was 51 when I started posting here (hence the name! (but I do like the drink also...)) 52 now.[:(]
    My father in law is 72 and regularly knocks off 100km + rides two or three times a week (French, proud and living in lovely cycling territory in the South of France).He got me interested in rolling around when I was on holiday there...in the sun, reflecting that I might be too old for veterans rugby, might enjoy the 'sportives' where there is no massive competition and, apart from everything else, feel great when cycling through clouds to get to a hilltop and then whizz down the other side!
    Take plenty to drink on your rides, and gels, sandwiches - whatever, and stop if you want to stop.Cycling is for you and is measured against no-one...enjoy the fact that you have got going again.
    My HRM says nothing when it is folded up next to the printer[:I] - oops I forgot to put it on again, but the peacefulness of being out on a bike is very rewarding.

Maybe there needs to be a sponsored ride for Help the Aged where we can all be self - serving..? [:D]

(Not via Porlock Hill though...)[xx(]

Happy cycling
    m

103kg - kg361
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • I'm 49 in July. I had an ACL reconstruction & cartilage repair in my right knee last August. Since then I've worked hard in the gym, & since January I've been out cycling. I was 15st 12lb prior to Christmas, now I am steady at 13st 6lb. I'm also on a low fat diet which has helped enormously. When I started back hills were a killer, but with the weight loss & training they've become much easier & I now look at them as a challenge to get stuck into. One thing which has really helped me a lot is doing an indoor spinning class through the winter. I've done up to 80 miles out on the road, but usually do 30/35 miles each weekend which keeps it do-able. I do enjoy it but don't want it to dominate my life. It is difficult to decide whether to join a club & get more serious. The main problem with Devon is wet & windy weather??

Good thread.
  • I think Aperitif51 has the truth of it: "Cycling is for you and is measured against no-one...enjoy the fact that you have got going again."

Didn't turn a pedal from 18-48, then just occasional mainly short potters around til 4 years ago (54). Did a total of >7,000 miles in each of '05 and '06. Not fast. Mainly no more than 30 miles a day. But FOR ME it was a fair achievement. And I enjoy it. For health (post op recovery robbed me of 6 weeks in Jan/Feb) and other reasons, well down this year, but back to a 100 a week last few weeks and i feel fine. And that is all that matters really.

You decide what is an achievement. And then go on to more!

Good luck, enjoy.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Moovie
    Thanks for all the good advice here. I am really up for this and looking forward to hitting some personal targets (distance, time, ave speed etc - just haven't yet decided what and when they should be yet).
    I think as many of you said, just need to get on the bike and go! Really disapointed when it was lashing down this morning so couldn't go out for a ride.

???? Ridgeback MBR