Smithfield Nocturne

Echappee
Echappee Posts: 79
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Forget about the Swiss Tour, Dauphine etc - how did Procycling fair in the Smithfield Nocturne race in London on saturday?

Comments

• Alright Echappee? Am finally replying to your post! Indeed - drop everything - how did Procycling do at the Nocturne? Well, very middle of the road (pun very much intended) as it turned out, but thanks for asking! But not as badly as I'd feared going into it, knowing I was going to be racing in the ironically named 'All Stars' event against the likes of genuinely fast riders such as The Guardian's Matt Seaton and those boys from Cycling Weakly... Turned out on the day that we were a very motley crew from the media world, so I was happy to finish around mid-way - about where I deserved to be. So much for the whispered, "Let's all take it easy for the first five laps to keep everyone together and then rinse it in the final two," that someone gamely suggested on the start line. The bloke from Bloomberg went after his 15 minutes of fame (or two, as it turned out), which was fair enough, but then the race remained strung out from there. I wasn't able to hang on to the second group on the road for more than a few laps, and spent the rest of the race on my lonesome trying to get back on to them. Great fun, though, especially with the crowds and the commentary, and the Nocturne was a great night, despite the downpours. It will be back bigger and better next year, I've heard. And hopefully so will I - smaller and better...

Ellis Bacon
    Deputy Editor
    Procycling
    Ellis Bacon
    Deputy Editor
    Procycling
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Yeah, I wondered what happened to the five laps and then race. (I'ts Alex here, London Dynamo kit, work for BBC). My legs and lungs were absolutely torched by the end. The results said I was fifth but I really don't remember much other than trying to hold on to the back of Ben Wilson, Matt Seaton, Guy Andrews and Phil Sheehan and then feeling my vision go a bit blurred. I'm sure you went past me as well but I totally lost track of how many laps and placing.

Great evening's racing and a great event all round. Next year I will be faster...