DOLLAR DOLLAR bill Y'all

esmit208
esmit208 Posts: 41
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Well Mr. Basso has let his love of fame and fortune lead to his ruin. Don't get me wrong, I am not nor would I ever gloat. No team will even consider him until 2009 and if he is lucky it will probably be a Pro Continental tem. I actually enjoyed watching him race and would like nothing more than for he and Ullrich contest the TDF. It's sad to see such a talent never reach his zenith. And why? $$$$$ that's why. It's been said over the course of history that $$$$$ is the root of all evil. To any aspiring athlete of any sport let it be a lesson, and hopefully a lesson you WON'T have to learn. If it is coming to you, you will get it in due time, be it fame, fortune, or the beautiful girl. Enough said!

Edward G. Smith
Edward G. Smith

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Yes, money is the root of all evil!
    Hopefully the Puerto-fallout will discourage those who'd otherwise reach for the syringe to help them.
    Will Basso continue? I can't remember how old he is, but to keep going for 2 years and hope to return to the top is too much to expect.

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Spiralpro
    Spiralpro Posts: 34
    He's 29. Which means that if he is determined and keeps training hard he could return to the pro tour but as esmit points out he will be lucky to ride in a continental team. This is a pity. And personally I feel the length of the sentence has done nothing for cycling. A cheat must be punished but cycling needs to look at how to deal with the scourge of doping in the sport, and the authorities pushing for the maximum sentence is noit very encouraging. Would any of the less well off riders now consider coming clean???
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    In fact, don't forget he will ONLY be able to ride with a Continental team at the end of his sentence. He'll have to wait a further 2 years before re-entering the ProTour, at the age of 33. To be realistic, his career is over. I just wish he really talked to the prosecutors and exposed the whole connection, how he got into the doping ring. Right now, he's just taking it in the butt for someone else. There is this statistical annomaly with Puerto riders and ex-Riis riders that someone ought to shine a bright light on. If money is the igniter in this story, misplaced loyalty is what brought us to this sad ending.