Hincapie Giro GC Contendor?

Autobus Straggler
Autobus Straggler Posts: 47
edited May 2007 in Pro race
Here is a wild thought, Hincapie in the Maglia Rosa! Possible, he contested the sprint yesterday, and has had a relatively easy season...other than recovering from the broken wrist...he should be more fresh than usual...its a race that suits him in my opinion...think, he has two more individual time trials...he is going to be working for Leiphemer anyway in France...if Popo doesnt have it, look for Hincapie to at least be on the podium.

Give me pave or give me death!

Comments

• campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    I think their might be too many hard climbs for George.With the finishes at tre cime laverdo and the monte zoncolan in particular.I know he climbed ok in past Tours but I'd be very surprised if he's in top ten to be honest.But isnt that why cycling is great.I think we might see a big surprise this year with Riccardo Ricco going close
  • Agreed...i have always been routing for George, and i thought this year would be his classics year, so i have to cheer for him to win something...

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,157
    If someone with Hincapie's build won the Giro I think the sport would lose any remaining credibility it has.

A guy his size should not be competitive in the mountains.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Where was Big George in the Paris Roubaix?? Is the handlebar incident still bugging him?? I guess being head over heals about the cobbles can go too far [B)]. Anyhow, surely he's too big for the big climbs. I guess if not, surley Petacchi or McEwan will wop him in the sprint at Alpe D'Huez. [;)]- Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • George broke his wrist in a fall during the Tour of California. Finished the stage riding about 100 miles with the pain. He was not recovered enough to ride Paris Roubaix - the cobbles would have been too much. He rode the Tour of Georgia and is now riding the Giro in support of Popo and for training for the TDF.

Holly
    Holly
  • Hincapie would have been a contender this year at Paris Roubaix if it was not for the broken wrist...as far as him being too big for the climbs, his only TdF win was I think stage 16 in 2005 which was not only a mountain stage, but a summit finish...and though last year he was pretty weak overall, largely due to slow recovery from a broken collarbone, he was in the lead group through the first few hairpins on the Alpe, which check me, isnt in the Tour this year...However, finishing two minutes back today does not help him at all, I think big George is possibly one of the greatest domestiques ever to ride in the peloton, it would be nice for him to snag a big one

• Stark.
    Stark. Posts: 108
    I just don't see Hincapie challenging for the Giro. As mentioned before there are some real brutes of a climb coming up later and some huge chunks of time to be lost. Given the gap in his season I suspect he'll be in better shape for the Tour.
  • andyp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Autobus Straggler</i>

...as far as him being too big for the climbs, his only TdF win was I think stage 16 in 2005 which was not only a mountain stage, but a summit finish...and though last year he was pretty weak overall, largely due to slow recovery from a broken collarbone, he was in the lead group through the first few hairpins on the Alpe, which check me, isnt in the Tour this year...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">So he wins one stage in the mountains after sitting on the back of the break all day and suddenly he's a GC contender? I've heard so many people spout this as proof of Hincapie's ascension to Tour de France winner and it is utter rubbish. He got lucky.

He should stick to being a heroic loser. He's very good at that.
  • funaki
    funaki Posts: 29
    Time for reality here folks, Big George is a classics wizard, but he is no slimline mountain pixie; Hell will freeze over long before Mr Hincapie wins a Grand Tour. By the way he lost two minutes on the first mountain top finish.
  • I don't think George ever thought of himself as a contender for the overall in a Grand Tour. That was media hype - hoping for another American at the top. He has been a superb domestique for years - and a true team player. He can sprint - he can do the Classics and can climb - maybe not every climb but he can climb and win a stage here and there. Personally, I think he is a class act.

Holly
    Holly
  • Stark.
    Stark. Posts: 108
    andyp called it right about Hincapie sitting on the back of the break all day to win his stage. I seem to remember that on the day he looked pretty shocked that he'd won. You've got to say he'd be a great rider to have on your team though.
  • Another great day by hincapie!

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

If someone with Hincapie's build won the Giro I think the sport would lose any remaining credibility it has.

A guy his size should not be competitive in the mountains.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It's cynical but true I think.

Take that guy who's name I have forgotten, who was 2nd in the Giro last year. It didn't take long for him to test positive.

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • andyp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimmythecuckoo</i>

It's cynical but true I think.

Take that guy who's name I have forgotten, who was 2nd in the Giro last year. It didn't take long for him to test positive.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Jose Enrique Gutierrez aka 'the buffalo'. I know my view is cynical but I find that a healthy dose of cynicism is needed to watch the sport these days. Which is a real shame.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Well, yesterday's stage nailed this one down. A loss of 8'15" over the top half of the climb to the finish.

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • esmit208
    esmit208 Posts: 41
    SORRY ABS
    Mr. "H" is headed back to the good Ole USA. The GDT was just some much needed traning for the TDF.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Autobus Straggler</i>

Here is a wild thought, Hincapie in the Maglia Rosa! Possible, he contested the sprint yesterday, and has had a relatively easy season...other than recovering from the broken wrist...he should be more fresh than usual...its a race that suits him in my opinion...think, he has two more individual time trials...he is going to be working for Leiphemer anyway in France...if Popo doesnt have it, look for Hincapie to at least be on the podium.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edward G. Smith
    Edward G. Smith
  • esmit208
    esmit208 Posts: 41
    The cycling prognosticators seem to be picking so called "favorites" Cunego, Simoni, and maybe Ricco. But so far all these guys have failed to impress me. After all you can only give up so much time waiting for the mountains. At the moment Andrea Noe' is the man in PINK. Can you say DARK HORSE? Some person no one wouuld ever suspect will walk away with this thing by the time all ARRIVO in MILANO!

Edward G. Smith
    Edward G. Smith
  • Well he gave it a good 10 days, with the breakaway form he showed, especially with the kind of classics season it was, this could have been his year.

• Spiralpro
    Spiralpro Posts: 34
    Wasn't on here for a few days. Hincapie contesting for the GC, wild idea isn't the word.
  • Hey and lets face it, enough guys get busted doping, Hincapie could dominate the Tour!

• andyp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Autobus Straggler</i>

Hey and lets face it, enough guys get busted doping, Hincapie could dominate the Tour!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Do you not think that Hincapie might be one of the guys busted for doping? A guy his size climbing as he has from time to time makes me very suspicious.