USADA sinks to the depths?

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited May 2007 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php%20id=news/2007/may07/may11news2
[V]
I'm disgusted and speechless!

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• That is ridiculous! There are times when Americans want a hero, and times when they want to crucify them. Of course the USADA is beating the crap out of a dead horse with Lance. Sure why not go after the guy who has come out clean after every investigation, working his heart out to raise money for cancer research, this is the scum the USADA needs to be hunting down. I mean we would never go after some oversized baseball player that cant half make it around the bases, that would just be un american. Not that i drool over lance, i appreciate what he did for our sport in America. If Floyd is right, these guys should be put to shame.

Give me pave or give me death!
  • Grumpy Bob
    Grumpy Bob Posts: 41
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OffTheBackAdam</i>

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php%20id=news/2007/may07/may11news2
    [V]
    I'm disgusted and speechless!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Do you really believe Landis? I think he's a cheat and that he has embarked on a campaign to discredit all his opposition. I for one do not believe a word he says. Note in the report that USADA are not permitted to comment. Landis' slur therefore goes on record with no counter comment from USADA.

Robert

www.northbucksroadclub.org.uk
    www.robertsaunders.org.uk
    www.northwoodwheelers.org.uk
  • Yeah, but they can comment as soon as the trail starts, and they will, they have inasmuch denied it anyway. Why would Landis lie? Countless people are giving him millions to form his defense...would you lie if people were throwing money at you and trusting you?...come on now, until he is proven guilty, properly that is, back off...so another american is the best cyclist to ride the TdF, sorry, it happens...if Leiphemer wins, are we going to crucify him?

• Grumpy Bob
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Autobus Straggler</i>

Yeah, but they can comment as soon as the trail starts, and they will, they have inasmuch denied it anyway. Why would Landis lie? Countless people are giving him millions to form his defense...would you lie if people were throwing money at you and trusting you?...come on now, until he is proven guilty, properly that is, back off...so another american is the best cyclist to ride the TdF, sorry, it happens...if Leiphemer wins, are we going to crucify him?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Landis' entire defence strategy is based on sowing confusion and throwing wild accusations at the anti-doping agencies and test labs. This is the same strategy that failed for Hamilton (and now Hamilton is facing further bans through Operacion Puerto if that association is confirmed).

Landis requested re-tests, they all came up positive. Seems to me that he's stuck in a difficult situation, he can't admit guilt at this stage, can he? How many proven dopers do admit guilt? Very few. I'm afraid I have little confidence in his innocence. I would be delighted if it all turned out to be a horrible mistake, but I do doubt that it can be the case.[|)]

R

• What I dont understand is how could Landis test negative so many times throughout the year, and then on one test, the one that vaulted him back into contention be the one that he tests "positive" for. It does not add up. You dont just boost your levels one night, and then perform the next day, that is just not how it works...I agree if Floyd is guilty, then he should fess up, he isnt as nice a guy as Basso, and will take far more flak than him...As far as Hamilton...who knows...however, why would he dope when he was not even racing...he would still be subject to tests...ugh, well at least pettachi is back!

• Grumpy Bob
    You have to remember that testosterone levels and ratios do fluctuate. The competent doper manipulates dope levels at a physiologically effective level that remains below the official level above which a positive result is recorded. One sees this with haematocrit levels, and I believe this was part of the accusation made against Armstrong following the retrospective EPO tests the other year. In other words an athlete could be manipulating testosterone levels but only pop above the positive test threshold on one occasion among a series of tests. I think the hard thing to explain away in Landis' case is the isotope ratio result, which is supposed to indicate an exogenous origin.

Regarding Hamilton, I think the Fuentes connection may predate his original blood doping offence, and might even offer an explanation of what was being done.

In both Landis' and Hamilton's cases I see as significant that the only real defence strategy has been one of attacking the integrity of the testing lab and WADA/USADA. I believe they share defence lawyers?

I don't know either Landis or Basso personally, so I have no comment as to which is more of a nice guy!

Robert

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,446
    Floyd Landis is caught in a corner and is fighting for his (professional) life. He knows the USADA can't comment on a case that isn't settled so can make any accusation he likes. His comments are part of his "fear, uncertainty and doubt" defence and are worth diddly squat.

He's going to get banned. Good riddance to him.
  • From what I understand it was not that his testosterone levels were high but that his episterone levels were lower to throw his ratio out of whack.

This whole episode makes very little sense... does the body metabolize the dope so fast that only 1 of eight tests fail?

The so called "super human effort" that won stage 17 for Landis was not his... it was the total lack of chase by the rest of the teams. Landis announced what he was going to do before the stage yet no one seriously chased him until it was too late.
  • After reading the latest on the Landis' camps tactics re: Lemond, I just despair at the "man" and his pitiful defence. Personally, I want him thrown out of cycling forever. He's just an embarrasment to the sport
  • Rasta Dog
    Rasta Dog Posts: 1
    I have been attending the Landis arbitration hearings and am dismayed that the press prefers to report the tabloid aspects of some testimony while failing to tell the complete story about the incredibly shoddy "science" used to implicate Landis in doping. It has not just been the "Landis experts", but in fact even the USADA's experts that have found the methods and results of the Paris lab to be unreliable. There are many reasons for this, but chief among them is the indisputable fact that the lab never had established a reliable baseline with their Mass Spec data. In fact they showed five (5) peaks, and had no way whatsoever to determine which to use as the "standard". In a medical lab, this quality of work would get a technician fired. In itself, the absence of a Mass Spec standard makes further testing, such as the carbon-isotope ratio test uninterpretable and essentially meaningless. Why WADA, an organization which is apparently immune to any checks or balances, would pursue a doping charge in the context of such markedly poor analytic science is a question that needs urgent attention. Unfortunately, these analytical science problems are not trivial. They are fundamental errors of methodology and are far more serious than what is being reported in the press, perhaps because like most kinds of science, it is rather complicated when you dig into it deeply. In the Landis case, reports of his having elevated Testosterone levels are not supported by the French labs' data. In fact, ALL of his levels on seven separate tests are uniformly low. What is odd, is that the claim by WADA --- that Landis' ratios of testosterone (T) to epitestosterone (E) were indicative of "exogenous steroids", was claiming an outcome that is physiologically impossible. All exogenous steroid use, whether patches, pills or shots; will simultaneously raise both T and E. The only way to increase T while leaving E low is to add T to the sample after it has been taken. Findings of high T, low E do not necessarily imply malice or conspiracy, but should signal that the test result is compromised and unreliable. This could be due to various reasons, such as contamination, machine calibration problems, gas flow rates, among others. Those familiar with Spectrometry and/or Endocrinology will, upon viewing the actual numbers on Landis' samples as produced by the Paris lab, immediately see the problems with their data, both analytically and physiologically. It strikes me as quite troublesome that WADA has unrestricted power to ruin someone's career and reputation even in the absence of compelling evidence. In a court of law this case would have been over a long time ago and Landis would very legitimately seeking financial compensation for slander and libel. (just an opinion, mind you). Many other aspects of WADA have been brought to light during this arbitration which have unfortunately not been adequately covered by the press. More than a few of these bring to mind the ancient warning; "Quis Custodiet Ipsos Costodes?" (Who watches the watchers?)
  • Thank you so much for your incite, i believe rasta has room to talk as oppossed to the rest of us...sadly,even if the USADA lets Landis off the hook, he will be stuck to the vuelta and the giro and the future, if that, no way he will ever be allowed to race again in france...thanks again.

• sorry about the horrible spelling, "insight"