Can Cadel Evans get on the podium

Spack
Spack Posts: 18
edited August 2009 in Pro race
I have a dream. A dream where an Australian stands on the podium of the Giro for the General classification. I dream a bigger dream of the day when an Australian stands on the podium of Le Tour de France for the General Classification.

I dream of a clean sport where no drugs are taken and parents are keen for their boys to take up this sport. A sport where Australians can go to the top through hard work and dedication and perseverance.

Stu O'Grady won the Queen of the classics. Why can't an Aussie win the King of the tours? I have a dream.

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Spack</i>

I have a dream. A dream where an Australian stands on the podium of the Giro for the General classification. I dream a bigger dream of the day when an Australian stands on the podium of Le Tour de France for the General Classification.

I dream of a clean sport where no drugs are taken and parents are keen for their boys to take up this sport. A sport where Australians can go to the top through hard work and dedication and perseverance.

Stu O'Grady won the Queen of the classics. Why can't an Aussie win the King of the tours? I have a dream.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

As a fellow Aussie Spack, I too look forward to the day an Aussie makes the podium, and maybe it could even happen this year.

I still have reservations about Cadel though. The last two years Cadel has been a follower, not an agressor. He did say he was riding on his limit in both editions, I just wonder how much more improvement is in him?

I think Mick Rogers has still got alot of room for improvement. Perhaps he might suprise us this year. If I was a betting man (I am not), I wouldn't mind a small wager on Mick finishing higher then Cadel in GC.

But sure - bring on the Aussies and dream out loud!
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    In a word..........NO! Evans doesnt have that littel bit extra needed to mash up the big boys in a GT. Mick Rogers on the other hand.............podium in 2008 if not this year
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • Spack
    Spack Posts: 18
    I will bet you a nice cold beer. Which state are you in?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Is Evans' time done? I think this may well be true.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Spack wrote:

Who is this guy -- Martin Luther King?
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Maybe somebody trod on his dog. :lol:
    Mens agitat molem
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Is Evans' time done? I think this may well be true.

Why have you dredged up a 2 year old thread?!
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    No! Missed the bus Ha Ha
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman