Tom Danileson

PRB
PRB Posts: 9
edited April 2007 in Pro race
How do you boys think he'll go this year? You think he'll make the Discovery TDF team? I'm thinking he's due a huge break out year anytime now and is still realitavely young.

www.cycleseen.com

Comments

• He seems to have been bubbling under for a few years now without making that leap.

If things work out that way, he may be leading Disco at the Tour de France, so he needs to be ready.

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • funaki
    funaki Posts: 29
    Not yet convinved by Danielson, for every champ there are a dozen or so who are almost good enough to win. I have a feeling that he might be in this catagory.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He's 28 now and should be at his peak. Which would suggest that he's never going to be anything more than a fair to middling GC rider. He's over hyped simply because he's American and the US sports media are looking for the next Armstrong.
  • funaki
    funaki Posts: 29
    He's 28 now and should be at his peak. Which would suggest that he's never going to be anything more than a fair to middling GC rider. He's over hyped simply because he's American and the US sports media are looking for the next Armstrong.

Well can't argue with that. The likes of Contador were Pros at 22, i think to find the next Lance, then new talent will have to be thrown into the deep end younger.

As for Americans trying to find the next Lance, don't knock it The Spanish are looking for a new Indurain, the Italians for a new Coppi and the French for a new Hinault.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Not to mention the Belgians and a new Merckx! (Eddy that is, not Axel!)
    Perhaps we should be looking first for a new Webb?

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I'm gonna chime in on Tommy Gun because following him has been a roller coaster ride. Sure he's 28 and the chance that he ever wins the TdF is slim to none but he still can be a top notch rider. O'Grady is kicking ass at how old? Eki road until he was 40.

He started late because he was a MTBer. He switched and cleaned up on the US circuit for Saturn and then Fasso Bartolo totally misused him. Disco picks him up and Lance turns on the PR machine which was a big mistake because it caused a backlash with all the other US cyclists that had done their time pulling LA through the tours for USPS like DZ, Tyler, Floyd, VendeVelde and even Levi. They all became haters and that can screw with anyone's head.

In the last 2 years no matter what the dude did someone has always tried to pull him down. Even Johann played games (the Vuelta as a prime example).

I'm watching him now and he was a horse at Paris-Nice. He pulled that train at least 70% of the time when it counted and at the ToC when he had the Flu.

I say he has found his groove and put the haters to rest. The man deserves some respect and I'll give it to him.

chaos rules!
    chaos rules!
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chaos cycling club</i>

I'm gonna chime in on Tommy Gun because following him has been a roller coaster ride. Sure he's 28 and the chance that he ever wins the TdF is slim to none but he still can be a top notch rider. O'Grady is kicking ass at how old? Eki road until he was 40.

He started late because he was a MTBer. He switched and cleaned up on the US circuit for Saturn and then Fasso Bartolo totally misused him. Disco picks him up and Lance turns on the PR machine which was a big mistake because it caused a backlash with all the other US cyclists that had done their time pulling LA through the tours for USPS like DZ, Tyler, Floyd, VendeVelde and even Levi. They all became haters and that can screw with anyone's head.

In the last 2 years no matter what the dude did someone has always tried to pull him down. Even Johann played games (the Vuelta as a prime example).

I'm watching him now and he was a horse at Paris-Nice. He pulled that train at least 70% of the time when it counted and at the ToC when he had the Flu.

I say he has found his groove and put the haters to rest. The man deserves some respect and I'll give it to him.

chaos rules!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tom's done a lot of talking himself, saying he will be the best climber in wht world, , or words similar...his Vuelta 06, despite the stage win, will not have been enough for Bruyneel to bank on him as GC team leader in 07. I think Tom will be on his way at the end of 07...
  • not going to disagree or agree.

Tom with pull the train in the mountains this year at the TdF and needs to do a great job for Basso (or Levi). I think Johann will play is usual stunt and say there is no team leader for the Vuelta and it will be up to Janiz, Tom and maybe even Egoi to fight it out.

At the end of the year anything could happen. I think Tom will stay if he wants continue to be a super dm. If he doesn't he'll leave.

It sure would be funny to see him go to CSC.

chaos rules!
    chaos rules!
  • SteveB
    SteveB Posts: 3
    Disco has so many riders it's hard to zero in on just Danielson. Can't wait to see where he lands this year, though. Here's a couple of pics I shot of him at the 05 Tour de Georgia.

http://www.4bphoto.com/sb/tdg05_stage5/ ... on_JPG.htm

http://www.4bphoto.com/sb/tdg05_stage5/ ... on_JPG.htm
  • It is really hard to judge him. It just seems that he does not have the drive that he should. I think he is a great talent, and personally like him as a classics rider, but that is just me. I dont think Disco will give him that shot, but i dont think he wants it either.

Give me pave or give me death!
    Give me pave or give me death!