Cycling Weekly

firsttothecafe
firsttothecafe Posts: 4
edited April 2007 in The bottom bracket
I've managed to something very hard over the last two days.

For the first time since about late 1988 (when i was a spotty 13 year old!) i've not bought this weeks edition of Cycling Weekly.

I personally feel that the magazine has nothing to offer me anymore. I remember a time when some of the best road riders in the world regularly featured on the front cover and there was extensive race coverage and interviews inside. I appriciate that some of these types of features are now cover by Cyclesport magazine but the current design of Cycling Weekly is like a weekly version of Cycling Plus (which as a monthly magazine i do occasionally buy)

Once upon a time it was the bible of all knowledge when it came to domestic and international racing, you almost couldn't race without buying 'The Comic' to find out previous weeks results and upcoming race news. About 15 years ago it even had an entire section dedicated to mountain biking.

I'll be using the internet now for all the day to day news, entries and results and buying the monthy road and mtb magazines for enjoyable reading.

Does anyone else feel the same?? I'm looking forward to getting some serious miles in over the weekend and with the œ2.20 i'm now saving each week I can afford an extra cake in the cafe.

Enjoy the weekend everyone, mine will be a 'cycling weekly free' one!!

Comments

• ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Yes. I agree. I can't even be bothered with the monthlies anymore.
    I have pain!
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Have to agree, I usually get it every week but this week's had absolutely nothing of any substance in it at all.
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    Cycling weekly was a must read for the racing enthusiast with reports and photos of many of the local TT's and road races. There always seemed something new and interesting to read with articles on touring etc.

It's not the same and I don't know if it is the readers who have changed or the paper. The enthusiasts are bored with it because it has nothing new to say.

It's the world we live in now. Cycling Weekly has to rely on a wider audience to survive and has adapted accordingly.
  • I enjoy the comic and have for years,maybe its because Im changing too,in that I no longer race,so its of interest to me.I also read the monthlies.What I don't understand is people slagging it off on another publications forum.Do you get brownie points or a free mag for doing so?.Why not go on the CW forum and have your whinge there.At least they might respond to you.Its the same on cycling+.If you went into a shimano shop would you slag campagnolo off.
  • Cougar
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by campagchris</i>

I enjoy the comic and have for years,maybe its because Im changing too,in that I no longer race,so its of interest to me.I also read the monthlies.What I don't understand is people slagging it off on another publications forum.Do you get brownie points or a free mag for doing so?.Why not go on the CW forum and have your whinge there.At least they might respond to you.Its the same on cycling+.If you went into a shimano shop would you slag campagnolo off.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's one for the weekly then. [:D]
  • [:)] but do you not think it could have changed because of the internet.As we can get up to date reports as they happen.If they printed all the results they put on their website,ie http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Boo ... 07859.html we would be up in arms saying we have already read it.
    My point is how can they CW change if people complain on other forums,surely if you want change it should be either to the "comic" or on their forum.[;)]
  • Cougar
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by campagchris</i>

[:)] but do you not think it could have changed because of the internet.As we can get up to date reports as they happen.If they printed all the results they put on their website,ie http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Boo ... 07859.html we would be up in arms saying we have already read it.
    My point is how can they CW change if people complain on other forums,surely if you want change it should be either to the "comic" or on their forum.[;)]

To be honest I haven't read it for about 18 months so I'm not in a position to criticise. And you are right this should appear on their own web site or letters page. The internet has impacted on the way all news is communicated with CW no exception.

My point is that at the end of the day the end product is what the majority of readers want. If more people buy it then keep it that way, and if they don't buy it then they must change to survive.
  • Tried to raise the point on the Cycling Weekly forum but got so much abuse back in return I didn't feel the point in progressing any further.

Procycling is the only road based cycling magazine that I now buy. I've looked and all the furums that the other magazines have on their websites and the Procycling one is the only one that i'll now be posting on.

My intital point that I made on the Cycling weekly forum was about the lack of mountain bike coverage in the magazine. With the world mountain bike championships taking place in this country this year I was saddened by the lack of coverage in 'Britain Number One Weekly Cycling Magazine'.

The reaction to my point shocked and saddened me. I was surprised by how aggressive some of the responses were. One reaction was 'if CW start covering mountain biking then i'll stop buying the magazine'. I just feel thats it's a shame that peoples view of the sport is so narrow minded.

I buy the monthy MTB magazines as well. I've now booked my hotel room in Fort William, I've also booked hotel rooms in London and Cantabury ready for the Tour de France. In April i'll be riding the Tour of Flanders sportive.

For me cycling is about having fun with your mates as well as raising my fitness in order to compete, I feel it's a shame when other people have such a negative view about cycling.

Road, Mountain Bikes, Track, BMX - it's all cycling.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Chris you should take it as a compliment that CW is being discussed on other forums. If the situation is reversed I don't think that other publications are discussed on CW's or any of their competitors' forums. The only reason I think it is being discussed here is that CW is the premier road publication in most roadies eyes.

<font size="1"><b><font color="red">I have pain!!!</font id="red"></b></font id="size1">
    I have pain!
  • Cougar
    I think I will buy next week's CW out of interest.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ivancarlos</i>

Chris you should take it as a compliment that CW is being discussed on other forums. If the situation is reversed I don't think that other publications are discussed on CW's or any of their competitors' forums. The only reason I think it is being discussed here is that CW is the premier road publication in most roadies eyes.

The thing for me is that if we aren't happy we should say on the respective forum,I agree about the C.W.comment,I have seen many changes over the years and you can't please everyone but its unfair on Procycling that its discussed here.I hope this picks up for the same reasons I hope the cw forum picks up and that us cyclists join together and have some great debates.See we got one going here now[:D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by campagchris</i>

.Why not go on the CW forum and have your whinge there.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What happens, when you follow your method, is that the post gets deleted without explanation. First-hand experience allows me to make this claim!

Sort of goes against the definition of 'forum' really. Sounds more like Jonathan Ross trying to say "rankers" !
  • I cancelled my subscription to CW last autumn after many years. I had a phone call from them this week asking me if I was interested in subscribing. I had a very nice chat with the chap, explaining why Cycling Weekly was of no interest to me (in quite some detail).

CW sank in my view when it started focussing on silly "get fit quick" and cyclosportive articles, while reducing coverage of what should be it's key interests, the domestic racing scene.

Robert

www.northbucksroadclub.org.uk
    www.robertsaunders.org.uk
    www.northwoodwheelers.org.uk
  • It's a testament to the old "Comic" that it's still going strong! Must be being bought by all those old "Testers" to read at 5am whilst waiting to start their weekly 25 on the O2!
    When I were a lad it used to be avidly waited for, read from cover to cover, mileage chart torn out, pinned upon bedroom wall, filled in for a couple of weeks (Go on, admit it, you did/do just the same). The only competition to it was International Cycle Sport (Now long deceased)and Pronews (Ditto, but that was laugh, what happened to Hans Groper?).Then along came MBUK, then many other titles.
    I too may have to buy a copy, simply for a nostalgia trip!

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • The "comic" must be doing something right as it sells 28,137 copies a week on average.
    I like all cycling magazines for different reasons,but must admit to a soft spot for the "comic". Mind I enjoyed International cycle sport,pro news and cyclist monthly when they were on the go.I think the internet has changed many magazines as we are spoilt with up to date news.Don't know if its a good or bad thing but theres nothing like lying in the bath after a hard day on the bike reading the "comic"[:D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cougar</i>

Cougar, did you enjoy it?

Robert

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by campagchris</i>

I enjoy the comic and have for years,maybe its because Im changing too,in that I no longer race,so its of interest to me.I also read the monthlies.What I don't understand is people slagging it off on another publications forum.Do you get brownie points or a free mag for doing so?.Why not go on the CW forum and have your whinge there.At least they might respond to you.Its the same on cycling+.If you went into a shimano shop would you slag campagnolo off.

Well I had a good grump here about the new format of ProCycling. It started a good discussion in which I think I was in the minority (unfortunately). Other than that I made it into the mag with a forum posting about doping. So they presumably don't hate me for my opinion!

Robert

• Cougar
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grumpy Bob</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cougar</i>

Cougar, did you enjoy it?

Robert

I read it in about 10 minutes and then wondered why I bothered.

[:D]
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I was a 2 year repeat subscription reader of C.W.and had just renewed when a new
    EDITOR took over. The changed format of the "comic" had me regretting my outlay
    for the next 20 months and now I "Browse" the mag and if there is something of interest I buy it. HOWEVER I find it to be a cross between a cycle equiptment catalogue and a tourist magazine but with the mandatary picture of L. A.from Houston. Therefore I conclude that it is aimed (as are the others)at the U.S.A. market and the last time I checked the ciculation was down to 26,257 from well over
    30,000 when I subscribed. THIS MAGAZINE puts plastic cling film so I cannot browse
    and I want to know what I am buying so I go without. Sorry.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • vinocough
    vinocough Posts: 56
    http://www.zinio.com/express2?issue=200949617
    you can try it here for free.
  • turbo
    turbo Posts: 8
    For what its worth here guys Ive already stated (on another forum)that im a 35 year old newcomer to the sport, and ive been buying CW in preference over the likes of procycling. Maybe its an age thing, but its much more benificial to me to be able to read the results of the amateurs and the times that they are putting in, instead of reading about the abilities of guys that mere mortals (like me)have absolutley no chance of replicating. The other thing for me was the amount of advertisements in the mags that concentrate on the pro peloton. Ok i admit CW arent faultless here, but count the amount of pages dedicated to ads in cyclesport or procycling and you arent left with a whole lot of magazine.Another point worth mentioning is the price of them! I live in Ireland, and when you compare what the UK lads are paying for the mags, to what we have to pay its ridiculous