Dylan has shaven legs and hairy voice.
    Fausto [:D]
  • FAUSTO
    FAUSTO Posts: 34
    Nobody knows why they shaving legs?
    My godnes?!
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    if you have to ask you shouldn't be shaving them!
  • Melpro
    Melpro Posts: 35
    They shave them so they look good in a dress!

Massages and cleaning up wounds might shed some light on it for you.
  • FAUSTO
    I do not understand Mel...massages, wounds...every sportsman has massages!? In some other sports are more wounds and they are not shaving legs...
  • Melpro
    Melpro Posts: 35
    As I understand it - hairy legs make massages more painful. Cyclists have a tendancy to have more accidents than in other sports. Road rash is easier to treat and plasters easier to pull off if you don't have hairy legs.

If this is wrong I expect somebody else will provide more information.
  • FAUSTO
    Nobody knows??
    Maybe no one knows why...because good looking or what?[^]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FAUSTO</i>

Nobody knows??
    Maybe no one knows why...because good looking or what?[^]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Welcome Fausto ;-). Well spotted about the leg shaving thing too.

My opinion: cyclists shave their legs because they want to be like other cyclists.

---
    Jeff Jones

European News Editor, Bike Online Project
  • normally i shave my legs when i start racing and therefore will need to apply embrocation and massage, something which is very difficult to do with hairy legs
    before my "comeback" (to racing) when i was cyclig as a tourist and commuter i did not shave my legs but of course all the other reasons have validity as jeff says belonging to a peer group with pressure or without and yes it does look neater and feels better so fausto give it a go and get back to us!
    onward ever onward
  • FAUSTO
    Entire sportsmen have massage every day, after training or match or...and no one shaving legs..ok, maybe swimers and bodybuilders[:)]
    So this is not excuse.

Jeff is maybe right...

But I am asking about profi riders, first...and than I will ask about sunday riders[:D]
  • Fausto-are you obsessed about leg shaving? When I raced, shaving one's legs was normal, and as stated in other posts, done for ease of massage and embrocation application, as well as the gravel-rash from unwanted road contacts (shunts), bandages do stick better to shaven skin. Hairy legs were thought to cause infections to abrasions. And for me, personnally, when my legs are shaved, I'm 2 lbs lighter, and measurably more aerodynamic.

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • FAUSTO
    I just want to know why? Bandages or massages is not right answer for me...as I wrote..every sportsmen have massages and injurys and bandages and...and...

So, If man shaving legs and he fights 3 weeks for ROSE ( PINK ) coloured jersey than I think...???

....is something wrong...[:D]
    Why do they have headphones in ears?? Because they
    listen Boy George??
  • I've given all the reasons why I, and just about everyone I know who races, shaves his legs, although for some, it could be contractural. I see where you're going with this...and my only answer for you is that you will just have to ask an earphone-wearing, pink jersey'd, leg-shaven, Boy George lovin' cyclist why he wants to shave his legs. Include your Ph. #, I'll bet that guy'll call ya! Cheers!

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • FAUSTO
    So, you shaving legs and you are not profi-rider? My goodnes, why? Because you think that you look like pro? Or want to look like pro? And even profi riders do not know why shaving legs??
    Mama mia...
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    I've shaved my legs already, even though I won't be racing until late March or early April. My thighs need massaging every day with the training I'm doing. That's reason enough for me.
  • FAUSTO
    ...but only cyclist shaving legs?
  • my s.o. likes it. just high enough though to not get close to the "nether region"

http://www.doperssuck.com
  • Because everyone else does.
  • Back in the very, very early days of racing, they did it to stop those horrible, blood sucking horse flies and other such nasties from attaching to their leg hair and making a meal of the rider's legs.
  • FAUSTO
    Aha...and now I am going in bathroom and I will...zipp, zipp my legs...or not...that is tje question...or not???
    Jeff, help me!!!!
  • Anonymous
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FAUSTO</i>

Aha...and now I am going in bathroom and I will...zipp, zipp my legs...or not...that is tje question...or not???
    Jeff, help me!!!!
    I am afraid you are beyond help, Fausto. Once you start shaving your legs, there is no going back. Zipp, zipp, zipp is the only way.

I'm sticking to my view that it's mainly for fashion and 'me too' reasons. I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I will try to find out what started it.

---
    Jeff Jones

• Anonymous

Jeff, help me!!!!
    I am afraid you are beyond help, Fausto. Once you start shaving your legs, there is no going back. Zipp, zipp, zipp is the only way.

I'm sticking to my view that it's mainly for fashion and 'me too' reasons. I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I will try to find out what started it.

---
    Jeff Jones

• Fausto-

Most endurance athletes shave their legs for messages. The first thing that comes to mind is marathon runners- they shave their legs, and almost all triathletes shave their legs as well. This is not something specific to cycling, but cycling is one of the most prolific endurance sports; therefore the most attention is given to it. I work with a lot of professional tennis players and I would say that 60% of the men even in that sport shave their legs for this exact reason.

Also, what other sport are you referring to that has open wounds on a semi-regular basis? I small tackle in football (or soccer) does not begin to compare to the nasty road rash a cyclist can get.
  • FAUSTO
    Mammmaaa mia[:I]

Today I recived Procycling magazin and...and...Gillete is on the 15th page...Board Talk!!

But...ok...I am going to shave my legs...[:D]
  • FAUSTO
    Kestreljr-
    I referring basketball, handball or fieldball (very popular sport in Easr Europe[:D]...and every sport have wounds. In cycling? One or two times per year...if you are Mr.Infelice[:D]