New Format Mag

Grumpy Bob
Grumpy Bob Posts: 41
edited February 2007 in The bottom bracket
AAAAGH!
Living up to my username...
I don't care for the new style, I prefer the old logo. I don't expect you to change back, but please, don't go down the awful cyclosportive route that ruined Cycling Weakly! And please work on cleaning up the internal layout!

Robert

Comments

• Thats a shame you dont like it,I think its ok. Saying that though, its my first issue subscribed-yaay !! no more trawling and thats got to be good news. Perhaps as you get used to it, it may be grower? I hope so
  • I've no objection to change, it's just the new logo and layout seems too amateurish to me - rather like a club magazine. Not best pleased by the contents either. My annoyance is that this issue is the first after I renewed my subscription, and I will be mighty annoyed if this magazine goes down the cyclosportive route (one of my reasons for cancelling my Cycling Weakly subscription).

I notice they are still using the old (and rather stylish) logo on this website.

Robert
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grumpy Bob</i>

AAAAGH!
    I don't care for the new style, I prefer the old logo. I don't expect you to change back, but please, don't go down the awful cyclosportive route that ruined Cycling Weakly! And please work on cleaning up the internal layout!

Robert
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Grumpy Bob
    if I were running Pro Cycling Magazine, I'd give you a page to yourself simply to comment on the doping situation. Over at C+ I found your comments on Tyler and again on Floyd informative.
  • I've already replied to Grumpy Bob in an email he sent us as well. Just thought you might be interested in what was said:

Thanks for your comments. I agree with some of what you say about the redesign, but by no means all. I agree there is probably too much colour and that is something we'll rectify in the Feb issue we're working on now. As for the logo, I never liked the old one but do realise it was distinctive. However, it had become very dated and I think we've changed it for the right reasons. I think the new cover is clearer, both in its use of the image for which there is now more space and the use of cover lines. Ultimately, though, all that counts with a cover is sales - if we sell more mags the cover will have worked, if not then maybe we'll have to look at it again, although it will take readers some time to get used to it.

As for the cyclosportive angle, it's premature to judge how the mag will develop based on the Jan issue because it is a one-off special about climbs. The Feb issue reverts to a more traditional format with two at-home features on leading riders and most of the standard features. I think Cycling Plus cover the cyclosportive side of the sport extremely well already and there would be no point in us going down that path.

Thanks again for your comments, it always good to get feedback from readers

Peter
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Please say Plastic Peleton People is still in the mag, please say it hasn't been scrapped!!?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by grimpeur</i>

Please say Plastic Peleton People is still in the mag, please say it hasn't been scrapped!!?

Don't worry, it's still there! [:D]

Paul
    Art Editor
    Procycling
    Paul
    Art Editor
    Procycling
  • Ive read it more today, I really do like the new format-theres LOADS more info than before and the focus is more on the riders which IMO is the best change. More trendy now as well. I have to say also I just love that historical stuff and I was well into the night reading it. Bravo.
    I do though wish though it was available in-sorry guys-'handbag' size like Cosmo and Glamour.
  • I was really pleased to get such a quick email response from the ProCycling team.
    Can I add that I would like to see the return of Honest Jean?
    Sorry for being such a stick-in-the-mud!

Robert
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grumpy Bob</i>

AAAAGH!

Robert

Grumpy Bob
    if I were running Pro Cycling Magazine, I'd give you a page to yourself simply to comment on the doping situation. Over at C+ I found your comments on Tyler and again on Floyd informative.

Perhaps a bit too intemperate for the press however! At least I can bring a Research Scientist's view on doping. So much of an athlete's post-positive-test PR guff is aimed at distracting the uninformed reader away from the reality of the situation and into bizarre conspiracy theory territory. The other issue is that the anglophone athletes get a different treatment to the others in the anglophone press.

Dick Pound's new book makes interesting reading.

I would find a regular summary of the current (anti-)doping situation very useful. I would be happy to advise on technical aspects (e.g. with gene doping). Some of the excuses presented by athletes as listed in Pounds book are amusing.

Robert
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

AAAAGH!

Robert

Grumpy Bob

Perhaps a bit too intemperate for the press however! At least I can bring a Research Scientist's view on doping. So much of an athlete's post-positive-test PR guff is aimed at distracting the uninformed reader away from the reality of the situation and into bizarre conspiracy theory territory. The other issue is that the anglophone athletes get a different treatment to the others in the anglophone press.

Dick Pound's new book makes interesting reading.

I would find a regular summary of the current (anti-)doping situation very useful. I would be happy to advise on technical aspects (e.g. with gene doping). Some of the excuses presented by athletes as listed in Pounds book are amusing.

Robert

I hope you do get a chance with one of the magazines to give your expert view on the situation, as some of the more techinical aspects of Tyler and Floyd's highly detailed and sometimes hard to understand defence needed converted into plain English and criticised in plain English, which you did very well.
  • jdfyfe
    jdfyfe Posts: 21
    ...I agree with Dave re Grumpy Bob and his ability to give an understandable and insightful view of the doping issue...

...I can actually remember his posts! which is saying something given the number of posts that have been written on the subject...relevant and knowledgeable...not bad at all for a former (or maybe still current) Dundee Wheeler [;)] - or is it Thistle? [:o)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jdfyfe</i>

...I agree with Dave re Grumpy Bob and his ability to give an understandable and insightful view of the doping issue...

...I can actually remember his posts! which is saying something given the number of posts that have been written on the subject...relevant and knowledgeable...not bad at all for a former (or maybe still current) Dundee Wheeler [;)] - or is it Thistle? [:o)]

A Wheeler! I still miss the Dundee cycling, though the club I joined here in Milton Keynes is fun (www.northbucksroadclub.org.uk)

R
  • grimpeur
    Just picked up the new magazine and although the new layout is a nice change. I think it is rather cluttered, not much order and often too much crammed into a small space. It reminds me of the mess that is CyclingPlus. The old ProCycling layout was simpler and in my opinion easier to read.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was going to buy a copy - but the picture on the front cover put me off - I thought the redesign was supposed to be forward looking and yet you put a picture of an 'old' cyclist on the cover. By all means put Lance on the US edition, but save us the blatent north american marketing hype by putting him on the cover.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I like it I think it stands out more,and should attract more buyers.Great mag this month with 50 greatest climbs,and the van impe article,well done,really enjoying reading it
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by grimpeur</i>

If it has dont worry, you can still see it at http://www.secretsofthepeloton.com

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • I've given it some time, but I now have to agree with GrumpyBob. The new logo sucks. I always and still do like the previous grahics of the magazine. Can't get into change for the sake of change. What does the new format do but make the magazine less distictive?

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • The cover doesn't bother me its whats inside that counts.This months mag is superb I think.Keep it up[;)]

ps thanks for the calendar but no picture of vino's vuelta win[:(]
  • ps thanks for the calendar but no picture of vino's vuelta win[:(]
    [/quote] good point c.c. wheres vino's pic on the calendar[8D] could give you one of mine cough cough
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I really rate the new-style mag, but correct me if i'm wrong - was the Ellis Bacon piece on the Time Megeve sportive chopped mid-article? It ends in the middle of a sentence and I can't find where it continues...
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • ha ha I am glad I am not the only one who thought that.

http://fenlandclarioncc.wordpress.com/
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by phil s</i>

I really rate the new-style mag, but correct me if i'm wrong - was the Ellis Bacon piece on the Time Megeve sportive chopped mid-article? It ends in the middle of a sentence and I can't find where it continues...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, come on guys - can you get Ellis to post the last bit on here? I was enjoying the article when suddenly it ends mid-sentence. Luckily I had the results of the event to hand, having ridden it myself last year, so could see that Ellis had finished but would like to read the last part.
  • Maybe I can comment on the issue you guys are discussing next month, when we in the West finally get to read it.

"You can be in my dream, if I can be in yours"-Dylan
  • Hi guys,

Thought you`d like to know u can find the missing page in the Pro Talk section of this forum under "missing page January issue" as a PDF file.
  • EdMax
    EdMax Posts: 5
    I agree that the logo is a step back to the mid 70's, but the content is an improvement (maybe that's because it's all about climbing, a subject you can't go wrong with in my book). I think the editor's comment about the focus of content moving from news to "the inside access we have to the stars and up-and-comming names you want to hear about", is a good move. I am looking forward to 2007.

Ed
  • grimpeur
    so, when's the next issue out?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by phil s</i>

Don't worry, they kept that out on purpose, but will include it in the U.S. version.

If it ever arrives. Promptness is no concern, i quess [:D]

AmerliN

<font color="green">"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO RIDE CRACKED CARBON"</font id="green">
    <font color="green">"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO RIDE CRACKED CARBON"</font id="green">
  • Further to Grumpy Bob's email I'm sorry to say that I agree.

There was a lot about the old design that distinguished it completely from other publications, it had a lot more clarity to it, it was easy to read. I haven't had a chance to tuck into the new one so I can't comment on the editorial but the problems that I have with the look of it are simple, I find the cover and the majority of the spreads far too visually cluttered. The newsy stuff at the beginning is almost inaccessible, too many bits, too many graphical elements, too much coloured text, the text in the 'Freezeframe' section disappears into the gutter and then to cap it all, a whole article reversed white out of black. The term 'if it ain't broke...' comes to mind!

Overall I find it a little overdone however, it's still probably the best mag on the market and I look forward to finding the time to enjoy it.