should you go back??

lm_trek
lm_trek Posts: 1,470
edited June 2007 in The Crudcatcher
Well i have a tough decision to make so thought would as you guys and girls!!

I work for sainsbury ( not sinsbury i wasnt invited to that party!!!) as a Dept manager, lately things have been tough i work as a fruit and veg manager but have ending up running fresh foods, produce and a deli counter with minimal staff and very tight budgets to beat, im exceeding sales and training but my wastage is a nightmare, thats the stuff we reduce or throw away, the store has historical bad wastage and nothing i seem to do corrects this, we have a new M&S opposite so we have to carry all the fancy stuff to attract customers and to be fair it works, i trade better than marks on fruit and veg and my fresh meat is beating them hands down. Well i have a duty manager who is a tw@t he has decided for every tiny fault its disciplinary action, well 2 weeks ago there was 12 packs of dates out the back, he found them and they were out of date not offered to customers but out the back and the next day i get a letter of disciplinary, after some arguing and chats with the store manager the hearing is dropped. This was because i threatened to take action as this accounted to constructive dismissal if he has no faith in my ability why push me into a bigger role and just waiting for me to fail, he denied this so the hearing went away but i can feel the tw@t behind me all the time just waiting to pounce!!!

So i went for a drink with a few mates the weekend, one of them is a store manager at morrisons where i worked as a duty manager, he said nothing for most the night except the odd joke and got a few rounds in, at the end we talked about work and i mentioned the above, he told them he could sort me out, get me my old job back better pay and better location.

The reason i left was my father was terminally ill, i needed to be close to home and my area manager at the time wouldnt let me move closer to home, in the end this area manager was sacked for bullying and harrassment.

So should i go back?? or stick out with the two idiots who run the store im currently in??

I should mention it took 2 days before i had a letter from morrisons and a phone call from the regional personel manager requesting me to come for a chat!! its happened really quick so im guessing my friend ethier carries some weight or they really want me back

ride it hard and keep it fun!!!
My Rides: Trek 6500 and Trek Fuel Ex 7and My Blog - Try it out!!

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Go back if you feel you can work under a mate, otherwise just start jobhunting. It's obvious you are unhappy there anyway, so why not look for something new?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guilliano/
  • lm_trek
    Ive tried going in a different direction but it involves a massive pay cut, and unfortantly i have some money issues and cant afford a pay cut!!

I wont have to work under my mate, i will be in another store, so no issue there, the liklihood of working together is low, but we have worked together in 2 separate stores before and tbh it was a blast!!

• It sounds like you already know what you want to do, what are you waiting for.
    Edit - list three reasons why you should stay at Sainsburys.
  • marika
    marika Posts: 392
    as my wise old man said
    your a long time working if u ain't happy

My puppy Local Loop
  • lm_trek
    3??

its close to home, i can get there in 15mins on the bus!!

Cant think of any others at the moment, i was never excepted in my current store im not one of the old boys club so always on the edge of the team, the store manager is 30 odd years service and the duty 27 and the other managers all lifers! so i was always on the outside, very strange way to work!!

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Sounds like my local Conservative Club.... a retirement home from home!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guilliano/
  • lm_trek
    yep something like that!!

Sometimes its annoying but other times if they want to be all secrets and whisperings let them, all i know is all new managers that come in dont stay, the fresh foods and deli both left after 12 months and now it looks like after 18 months i will be next, i know the store manager will get some serious grief as the regional manager and personel manager have threatened no new managers into our store as he cant keep hold of them, which is why i have 3 depts while the old boys only have one!!

• Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    Don't be unhappy at work, if you will be better off in many ways then its worth serious consideration.

Its taken me years to make the decision to move job, hopefully i'll be in a position to quit in the next week or two and it feels great at the moment.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • lm_trek
    it felt great to get the call, actually being wanted made me grin all day, very cheerful mood today!!!

• lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    I was in also stuck in a job a loved but in a place I hated (crap managment) It took some courage but I handed my notice in without having a permanent job to go to (teachers have set resignation dates for terms).

The thing was that the day after I did loads of people came and said how relaxed I looked. Never mind how I felt despite the lack of a job to go to.

At the time it was scary not knowing how I was going to pay the mortgage. But 4 weeks later I got another job.

Deep down I knew what I had to do but there was a fear of the unexpected. It was the best thing I ever did!

If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?