Square taper BBs

ED209
ED209 Posts: 174
edited December 1969 in MTB workshop & tech
Shledon tells me a square taper crankbolt will lose preload under normal use, but how quickly? I think my one is taking the mickey.

After every half hour of XC riding I can put another 1/4 - 1/2 turn on the non-drive-side crank bolt. Is this normal?!? I'm finding myself stopping every 30 mins to tighten up the bolt when I'm out, having previously worn out my original crank (replaced under warranty).

I am not a particularly extreme rider by any means but I do weigh a bit over 15 stone, ride with SPDs, and have godzilla thigh muscles from doing lots of heavy squats [:D]. I reckon these factors combine to cause me to put down quite a bit of torque, comparatively speaking and I'm worried that no square-taper will do the job.

Does this meansI need to spend more money and get an LX HTII (actually, getting my frame faced is the problem as no LBS round here has a facing tool) [:(]? Or, is it just a quesiton of the replacement crank bedding in?

<font size="1">GT Aggressor XC2 - lovingly crafted by the artisans at Halfords with the addition of XT hydraulic brakes, M520 pedals, Ritchey Ergo foam grips and my old nice and comfy Spesh BG saddle</font id="size1">
<font size="1">GT Aggressor XC2 - lovingly crafted by the artisans at Halfords with the addition of XT hydraulic brakes, M520 pedals, Ritchey Ergo foam grips and my old nice and comfy Spesh BG saddle</font id="size1">

Comments

• have the threads been thread locked? as that could help. cause you have to be carefull that it is not the crank bedding in but the bolt coming lose.

try marking the bolt with something to see if the bolt is rotating or the crank moving on.

(tippex ,marker or a scribe).

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    Did you grease the taper? Its easy to overtighten the bolt and split the crank if you have.
  • ED209
    ED209 Posts: 174
    There's no grease on the taper [:)]

It did occur to me to mark the bolt and crank with tippex, i'm going to do that when I am next out.

I think threadlock is not desirable though? As the bolt does need to be tightened periodically....just not every half hour! I suppose if tippex reveals the bolt is coming undone I'll put threadlock on?

I need my bike to hold up to some riding as we are off to the lakes in a couple of weeks and I don't have time to take my frame anywhere to be faced beforehand. I suppose if it comes to it I can just go ahead and buy new HT2 cranks to put straight on, and worry about facing when I get back.

• what marking it could do is allow you to seen if the bolt has moved even if the crank feels fine. then it will show that the bolt is coming lose first and that is causing the arm to lose or....

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!