Hardtail around œ250

thedktor
thedktor Posts: 234
edited July 2007 in MTB buying advice
Helping my lad choose a bike, budget is œ250 give or take, but we are looking at œ300 bikes and then try for a discount. Usage is mainly road, pavement and general muckin around as kids do. Nothing hardcore, long distance or particularly fast.

The GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc is top of the pile because:
a/ it looks nice
b/ its spec ticks all the right boxes (discs, 24 sp)
c/ I can get it locally

Here its available for œ270 so has certainly got my attention:
http://www.raleighbikes.info/product_in ... he-30-disc

I know the Mongoose Tyax is generally quoted as the best œ300 bike but:
a/ stock is hit and miss - we want the bike in 2 weeks
b/ I'm not familiar with the brakes whereas the Tektro mechanicals on GTs are common and reliably functional.
c/ Damped forks are better no question, but are just something else to go wrong as the bike will no doubt get abused and neglected!

Also, what's with the Halfords GT Aggressor - I've seen a post saying its the best spec bike for œ300 but looks pretty much the same spec as the Avalanche with a different fork, or am I missing something obvious?

So, I know we are looking at a budget low-end machine and the compromises that result, but is my thought process along the right lines?

Thanks

TD

Comments

• Ticaboy
    Ticaboy Posts: 314
    An Aggressor is an Avalanche frame, but with Halford's own component choices put on it. Some sort of historical deal between Halfords & GT. If the bike is going to get abused, then you might as well go with the Aggressor, as replacement parts should be easy to come across from Halfords themselves.

GT Avalanche Expert 2006
  • I think the Aggressor XC3 is better looking than the Avalanche 3 too. The differences are minor - Rockshox forks rather than SR Suntour and branded wheels with different tyres.

<hr noshade size="1">My Kona
  • thedktor
    Lunchtime I popped into Halfords, followed by the LBS.

The Halfords Agressor is indeed a nice looking machine in blue, and like the similar Avalanche appears to be very good value, and not overly heavy for the price.

However my LBS will do me a great deal so I will go with the Avalanche I think - better service, and the matt black looks very tasteful.

Am going to muse it over for a bit, but am still open to opinions.

Thanks

TD
  • Unklehomer
    Unklehomer Posts: 646
    Certainly safe framewise with the avalanche (or aggressor if frames are the same), and if he gets into it the parts can all be upgraded... and will be able to build a very decent mid range bike from it... possibly giving him a nice hardtail for life...

I would deffintly go LBS over halfords, unless you're one of those rare people with a good halfords, or unless your LBS is run by poo flinging monkeys...

Certainly better after care, which halfords don't really care about...

<center>I ride cos i like it and I'll ride where i like!
    Me and My GT
    Snowy</center>
    <center>I ride cos i like it and I'll ride where i like.</center>
  • Have you thought of the hardrock especially going for the 06 model there are some excellent deals to be had.

Have to admit though the avalanche does look a tidy bit of kit and if your LBS will do you a deal get in
  • thedktor
    Arghhhh, buying a bike is never simple eh.

My lad has ridden my Rockhopper several times this week and is seriously smitten (as am I). Now a œ550 bike is way over budget but he's willing to contribute more, so we are *considering* the œ500 GT Avalanche 1.0 which at least comes with hydraulic discs unlike the 'hopper.

I may be able to get a deal on another Rockhopper from LBS(1) but its still going to be a lot considering no discs, so LBS(2) will be approached for a deal on a GT.

So, the Avalanche has Tektro hydraulics, which from experience work adequately, but the fork is an unknown to me "SR X-100" - presumably suntour? Is it any good?

I suppose the argument is either to get the Rockhopper with its better frame and forks and hang some disc on it at a later date, or start off with a cheaper arguably less high quality bike and upgrade parts (forks?) as and when they destruct.

Can't decide as usual! My son has promised to look after it and use another bike for throwing outside his mate's houses, and hence the consideration of a more expensive bike.

TD
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    The x-100 fork is probably pretty much the same as this one
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=sia4c46dd8115cb5e87bd69c97e7971a/index.php?screen=sh.detail&tnid=1376
    since the magnesium legs, stanchions and crown seem to be the same.
    It's a budget fork but it works nicely. Don't expect any miracles, though, it's not an high end marzocchi :)
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I have an Avalanche 1.0, the fork is fine and the bike is a great ride.

What does your son want...that is the question. No point splashing 500 notes on a bike he doesn't like.