fast rolling front tyre

loamy
loamy Posts: 154
edited June 2007 in MTB buying advice
I've been looking for a while but cant find the perfect front tyre. my budget is about œ15-20 and i need a tyre that with grip well round corners but also roll fast on and off-road. my rear tyre is a continental vertigo 2.3x26 but i feel it would drag too much if i put another on the front is this true or is it just me? any advise welcome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hyYbM_yem3I& ... ed&search= my ideal job. jonny cash is the best riding music!!!!!!!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/30973580@N00/?saved=1

Comments

• Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    I think that you will be better having a dragy, but grippier tyre on the front and a fast rolling tyre on the rear. Unless you are trying to cycle through mud something faster rolling on the rear will grip well enough.

If you have loads grip at the back and not as much on the front you'll be fine in a straight line but you could get some interesting cornering results. I'd rather the back drifted a little in corners than the front washing out as I can deal with the back end moving out.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • Satchmo245
    Satchmo245 Posts: 707
    I agree with ^ a grippy tyre on the front would be better. Maybe have a look at Maxxis Ranchero. The almost constant centre tread rolls really fast on and off road and the knobs on the edge are great for cornering.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>My Trusty Steed, The New Build</center>
    <center><font color="red">My Pics! Updated</font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="green"> Me Blog</font id="green"></center>
  • If you check out Conti's website, they have a chart with each tyres' uses. This includes a specific tyres useabilty as a front or rear, as well as the surface conditions.

I am looking to get a set of Conti Vertigos, or Explorers (the latter being faster rolling), which i ride mainly xc and trekking with. I also own Conti Travel Contacts, which are excellent trekking tyres for big distances; though the slick tred in the middle needs to be given respect in the wet and under braking.

I also have Panaracer Fire XC Pros, for off roading full on, but they really drag as a downside to their grip.

...Anyway, i'd just check out conti's website. You should be able to choose something from there, if you like contis.

Find the colour, sight and sound, a new exposure brings you round.
    Find the colour, sight and sound, a new exposure brings you round.