What? Long travel forks.

Unknown
edited June 2007 in MTB buying advice
Am so close to ordering an RC303

Just looking at my options, fork-wise. Something 130mm. Perhaps RS Revelation? Open to ideas.

Also looking at XT discs, levers, wheels for 250 from Merlin.

Ohh I could crush a grape!

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar

Comments

• Do you want flippy shifters? I'm pretty sure thats what merlin are selling for 250.

Revs are good forks, try actionsports.de
  • flippy shifters are an extra œ50. 250 is for xt hubs, dt 4.2 or 5.1 rims, and full xt disc brake set. which is a pretty decent deal!

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • Aye, that is good.
  • Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    I would agree with the revelations, I have a set and they are great, look good as well. You could also go for Pikes I reckon, but you would need a different front hub as I don't think XT has a 20mm option.

Mate of mine had an RC303, said it rode really well but the finish was rubbish and he sent it back in the end because of this. If you buy some helicopter tape / bike shield and fit them before you build it up it should maintain the finish.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • I'd like to keep the bike balanced and think that going bolt through would be overkill and tip the balance of the bike slightly?

I'm quite tempted by some Magura forks, just not using their lock-off as most people seem to say it's a load of w@nk. nice looking, light, and fairly reliable according to WMTB.

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • Seagull
    I think that Magura need a wind down version of thier 130mm fork though. I've never ridden the RC303 so I can't comment on that specific bike but most bikes with a 130mm fork that I have tried occasionally need the travel dropping for steep climbs. The latest XC series Marzocchi forks get good reviews, downside is that they are a touvh heavy.

• the rc303 has a short head tube and semi intergrated headset, which apparantly gives a similar feel and ride height of a bike running 100mm forks. (so the blurb says)

was your mate's an 06 or 07 model?

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Seagull</i>

I think that Magura need a wind down version of thier 130mm fork though. I've never ridden the RC303 so I can't comment on that specific bike but most bikes with a 130mm fork that I have tried occasionally need the travel dropping for steep climbs. The latest XC series Marzocchi forks get good reviews, downside is that they are a touvh heavy.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Maybe this is why so many people go for the 130mm Pace forks with LC2? I think that drops the sus to 100mm for climbing and sprints. Prepared to stand corrected.

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • Seagull
    Not sure on the model year, he got it earlier this year so it could be either.

• ahoy-hoy
    ahoy-hoy Posts: 640
    Revelations get a thumbs up here. Stiff, light, plush. I felt Pikes would have been OTT for my needs.

Since you are looking at the RC303, have you considered the usual Stiffee/Chameleon alternatives? Or are these a little to common for sir? [:D]

If it's any help, steep climbs with me Revs at full travel on me Stiffee ain't too great a problem. Just drop my elbows and go for it. Find it better than interrupting the flow by stopping and winding them down.

Have heard the new Magura forks can be a bit hit and miss reliabilitywise

<font size="1">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Cove Stiffee FR

Giant SCR2.0 roadie

Trek 4300 commuter
    </font id="size1">
    <font>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Cove Stiffee FR

mtbnut.com
    </font>
  • If pikes will fit i would get some. They are alot stiffer and make the ride alot better imo.

Dunk

<font color="red">Me</font id="red">
    <font color="green">My Hardtail</font id="green">
    <font color="purple">My Full Susser</font id="purple">
    Bored? Click a star to explor the web. Beware some don't work!!!
    <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="purple">*</font id="purple"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="blue">*</font id="blue"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="red">*</font id="red"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet"> <font color="green">*</font id="green"> <font color="orange">*</font id="orange"> <font color="yellow">*</font id="yellow"> <font color="violet">*</font id="violet">
  • My biggest problem is the fact the Zaskar does 99% of my riding, perfectly fine.

I could upgrade the forks (as I can only use 80mm travel and not anything above that)
    Set of disc brakes and an A2Z adapter
    New crank / BB
    New wheels

Then I'm thinking, if I'm gonna do all that, why bust up the Zaskar, why not just build up another bike. At least the missus can use the Zaskar with the seat down a bit.

The Chameleon looks ok actually. Similar sort of thing but a few quid cheaper.

Course the other option is to splash that little bit extra and go for a ti bike with xt kit from merlin

my brain hurts. time for a can of caffrey's!
    [xx(]

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • Seagull
    If you fancy spending even more then get a Nicolai Argon. You will have a very exclusive and exceptionally nice finished bike.

• hehe

bottomless money pit, i am not. i can spend as much as i want, as long as the wedding is paid for, the honeymoon is paid for, and the party back in england is paid for. and the missus doesn't find out how much i have in my secret stash under the bed. (money that is, not mags *WINK*)

I have around 500 in a small offshore account, with another 500 joining it very soon. this is about the limit for my spending (well, maybe a couple of hundred more if i go ti!)

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aphex2k</i>

hehe

I have around 500 in a small offshore account, with another 500 joining it very soon. this is about the limit for my spending (well, maybe a couple of hundred more if i go ti!)

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why Am i suddenly weary of sending you money (YGM By the Way).

TBH, i think you like the idea of a Zaskar the Most, and you seem to love your current one. You thought the Enduro was overkill so why would i long(er) travel hardtail be different?

<hr noshade size="1">
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc
  • It's not me you need to be wary off... It's the missus!

I do like the Zaskar, but.... I got used to discs, and the forks I currently have, give the bike too much front end weight. I'm carring forks that do 85-130mm but only using 85 as anything more makes the bike sloppy and slow to respond.

The Pace frame is set up so that although I'm using 130mm forks, it feels like 100mm. Quicker steering, but still plenty of front end comfort.

I'm not in any rush - I'll take my time. I don't have many weekends free - uni and work and wedding plans take up so much time!

GRR:::: Just had a chap of STW mail me with an offer of a brand new 303 in silver for 325. Only problem is it's small, and probably too small for me.

Bum.

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • Seagull
    I think that there is a bit of spin with an internal headset creating a reduction in 30mm of head angle. It may reduce it by 10mm at most. My headset cups certainly aren't 30mm deep. It wouldn't stop me buying the bike, I just take some of the words that accompany it with a pinch of salt.

I take it the Nicolai option is a bit over the budget then? They look like beutiful bikes, and I would love to own one some day.... See what Father bonus brings me in a few years when i've wrecked the Turner.

• Mad Splasherwmb
    Mad Splasherwmb Posts: 1,304
    30mm is a typical traditional headset TOTAL STACK HEIGHT. Difference between a zero stack headset and a traditional head set is typically 30mm - 13mm = 17mm. BUT only half of that is below the headtube, the other half being above. So the effect is only to jack the front end about 8mm.

<font size="1">George
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <b><font color="blue">VeeTee</font id="blue"> <font color="black"> Maxi-Baby</font id="black"> <font color="green"> Scotty Boy</font id="green"> <font color="red">
    My Photos</font id="red">
    </b>
    Believe in your limitations and they shall be yours.</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">George
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <b><font color="blue">VeeTee</font id="blue"> <font color="black"> Maxi-Baby</font id="black"> <font color="green"> Scotty Boy</font id="green"> <font color="red">
    My Photos</font id="red">
    </b>
    Believe in your limitations and they shall be yours.</font id="size1">
  • Oh yeah they are beaut bikes... I'd consider the Argon if it wasn't pretty much all my budget in one go...

Having said that, I *could* move bits off.....no.no.no.no. the zaskar will not be touched.....

i need to sleep. and stop drinkin caffrey's.

Mark 8-D

'97 Zaskar
  • Seagull
    Just sell the missus, easy to afford the bike then.