Drilled Or Not....

Hendrixmaster
Hendrixmaster Posts: 204
edited December 1969 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey.

Been a while since I was on here. And as it appears my mountain bike needs some new wheels... thought I'd come and ask your advice on here!!

Recently I've been riding 20" - 24" & 26" Trials Bikes. All have had drilled rims! They've seemed to have lasted a lot longer than the un-drilled, maybe because the rim is then re-enforced ?

I can pick up two 26" for my mountain bike for œ30. Use to be used on a 26" Trials Bike, so they only need un buckling. Before you ask, yes they do fit. Only the 20" bikes have the big thick back tires that you cannot buy from LBS.

So if you could help me out, just by saying if they're stong or not, when being used for XC & Street it'd be a realy help!

Cheers,
Hendrix

<center><i>Get busy living, or get busy dying.</i></center>
<center><i>Get busy living, or get busy dying.</i></center>

Comments

• Of course they are going to be realy strong but thats what they are designed for. you would be much better off going for nowmal rims for non trials riding. The only reason trials riders use wide drilled rims is so that the width gives the wide tyres they use the extra stability so they dont fold off the rim, and the only reason they are drilled is to keep the weight down as they would weigh a ton if they weren't!

so deffinatly have a look around for a standard rim! exactly what type of riding are you doing? and how much do you have to spend?

ad