marika Posts: 392
edited June 2007 in MTB buying advice
yey or ney{any good anybody use}

cheers

My puppy Local Loop

Comments

• Marky Mark.
    Marky Mark. Posts: 646
    Right, where do I start some people like them some people don't. Personally I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!

With the exception of a torn sidewall which would have resulted in a burst tube anyway I've not had a single problem. Using Mavic XM719's and used standard (High Rollers, Panaracer XC Pro's) as well as UST/TNT (Geax Barro, Mezcal and Saguaro, currently running Barro in the current damp conditions) and I can't find a single fault, never been this long without a puncture of some sort and I certainly feel that œ35 for the kit it's a fantastic upgrade. Less rolling resistance, more traction, I'm loving it[:)]

Now to the bad part, it's a bugger to install first time but I'm now down to around half an hour for a pair rather than the initial couple of hours. Don't even start if you're short of time and do not attempt it without at least a track pump. Watch the video on the NoTubes website and use a higher washing up liquid to water ratio than it says in the instructions. I know it says you can use your existing tyres and I did, but found it easy using new and so simple using UST/TNT tyres as they inflated so easily.

At the end of the day there are people that have tried and haven't got on with it, those that have never tried it and the rest of us that won't go back to tubes.

If you do take the plunge, please, please, please take a tube out with you, just in case.

The Family
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    Ney, well..not for œ35 anyway. I used two BMX (20") tubes (œ10) and cut them around the outside to form a large rim strip with the valve in the center. Stretch this on your rim. Then carefully your tyre, get some contact adhesive from a DIY shop pay œ1-œ2 smear around the beads on your tyre inflate and pull/squeeze tyre until it seats, leave to set for 1/2 an hour. If you're using a schrader (car) valve you can remove the valve core with a valve core tool (œ1 ebay!) pump in some latex (tyre milk, justridingalong.com, œ9 for large bottle) replace core and inflate to 40psi, go for a ride to spread the latex thoroughly. If your tyre still goes down overnight don't panic, just reinflate and ride some more. Mine sealed after the second inflation. It is a great system BUT CHOOSE YOUR TYRES WELL, IT IS AN AR%*EHOLE TO CHANGE THEM!!! Lower pressure=more grip with no snakebikes. I also managed with a presta valve tube but had to unseat a bit of bead and latex in through the side and shake it around to re-seat the tyre. You can get cheaper latex if you shop around too, my first lot was œ3 on ebay! Although I never punctured, I have gone back to tubes because of my constant tyre changing (road slicks mon-fri). Choose well!

-Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • marika
    marika Posts: 392
    cheers matey so its better with tubeless tyres?other than punctures which i dont get a lot of are there real advantages,i noticed a huge difference going from steel bead to kevlar bead and am looking for the same again really

My puppy Local Loop