Accommodation in Lake District

ED209
ED209 Posts: 174
edited August 2007 in Routes
Hi All

Me and the girlfriend are off to the Lakes in just under month, wondering if anyone has any recommended accommodation? As to location I would say somewhere near Ambleside or Grizedale - somewhere reasonably central with some easy (by which I mean signposted, visitor centres, that sort of thing) riding. We're both enthusiastic beginners, I've bought a good trails book and I'm sure I'll be on here asking for routes nearer the time but I bet there'll be days when we CBA with all the navigating and just want to go round a family trail! But of course am open to suggestions for other places to stay, you all know the lakes better than we do.

We were planning on B&Bs but someone at work had the idea of renting a static caravan. I could even go for a tent but she is not so keen. Not sure how bike-friendly B&Bs are....our bikes aren't expensive but the Luton boy in me will want to chain them to something overnight all the same....so if anyone has stayed at a good one with bike storage please say!

I'm also thinking a caravan would be good to give us a base we can return to as and when we want during the day. Or just hang round if it's tipping down and we are knackered. Thing is though, we are going up on a Wednesday and staying for up to one week...not sure how many caravan rental sites will split the weeks like that but I figure it's not the school holidays so it can't hurt to ask.

BTW, originally she wanted to go on a caribbean cruise but I've talked her into this! So I need to come up with something good or she'll never agree to another biking holiday [:D]

<font size="1">GT Aggressor XC2 - lovingly crafted by the artisans at Halfords with the addition of XT hydraulic brakes, M520 pedals, Ritchey Ergo foam grips and my old nice and comfy Spesh BG saddle</font id="size1">
<font size="1">GT Aggressor XC2 - lovingly crafted by the artisans at Halfords with the addition of XT hydraulic brakes, M520 pedals, Ritchey Ergo foam grips and my old nice and comfy Spesh BG saddle</font id="size1">

Comments

• mrjiey
    mrjiey Posts: 55
    theres a great B&B in coniston, called sunny brae cottage, bike friendly. heres the site http://www.coppermines.co.uk/availabili ... rty_id=113
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The YHA in Ambleside is great - more like a budget hotel really and right on the waterfront. You no longer have to share rooms! There's a static caravan park in Hawkshead which might be an option. The Drunken Duck Pub (near Hawkshead) has good quality accommodation.

If you are going for B&B: the tourist information centres usually have approved accommodation lists and can book for you. They'll also give advice. Saves shopping around looking for vacancies. Best phoning rather than going on-line.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Bit late for you but if anyone else is going up and needs a good place to stay try my friends dads hotel in Far Sawry (just over the car ferry in windermere)

the shore run is a short ride from the hotel (ask the barman for the shore run directions) and the rest of windermere and grizedale is all within a couple of miles

http://www.sawrey-hotel.co.uk/

the food here is brilliant (eaten enough of it to know) and the hotels ajoining pub has a good friendly atmosphere and a good selection of local beers & ales.