Spoke Tension Meter

buddha
buddha Posts: 1,088
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Should I bother getting one ^^^ ?

I've been doing fine just going by the pitch of a 'plucked' spoke (as per Sheldon) when truing and the 2 complete rebuilds I've done so far.

Is it worth œ50 (park), or is the pluck/pitch method okay? As I'm not really going to use it that often.

<center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
<center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>

Comments

• wheel builders do use them.

when i am putting a wheel together i use one. i build my wheels at the LBS so use theirs.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
  • Ticaboy
    Ticaboy Posts: 314
    See if a 2nd hand one pitches up on Flea-bay. I'm looking for a Trueing Stand!

GT Expert 06
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    I have the Park one. Although I have built wheels for years without, having one lets me get the tensions a lot more even and removes any doubt about if you are too loose or tight

Pinging spokes only works for 2mm spokes and if you use the same ones each time. if you use tripple butted 1.5 etc then they ping totally differently and need different tension

Also I noticed old wheels I built and would have said where fone had differences in tension of up to 20 lbs, now I get them withn 5 so my build quality os far better

In short, yes they are worth it if you want perfection. Bit like a wheel building stand, you dont NEED them but they do help

Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XT, Easton 70 bars, ODI rogues, KMC Chain, various bling
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • buddha
    20lb difference. That may explain why I've been dinging so many wheels recently - lol

So for the money is the Park TM-1 the best buy.
    Don't want to pay œ200 for the DT meter!

• madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Park one works very well and is as tough as old boots. Nack is to release the handle slowly and not ping it open

Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XT, Easton 70 bars, ODI rogues, KMC Chain, various bling
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • please note haveing and using a spoke tension meter will not make you build wheels better. but could make your built wheels better.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
  • buddha
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

please note haveing and using a spoke tension meter will not make you build wheels better. but could make your built wheels better.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    You've heard of my legendary mechanical inabilities then[;)]

edit: just ordered the Park TM-1 BTW. Thanks all!