Best Way To Seat Tyres Onto The Rim?

Stewwmb
Stewwmb Posts: 257
edited December 1969 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok just got a brand new set of tyres, quite cheap of a guy at work.

What i want to know whats the best way to get the tyre to seat evenly onto the rim, The rims are Mavic 317 disks and the tyres Conti Vapors if that helps?

I`ve tried to get them to seat straight but always get a bit where the bead seems to sit lower in the rim than the rest of the tyre. I`ve tried inflating with the wheel off of the ground, so there is no weight on any of it but it does`nt help.

So i thought i best ask the experts [:D]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><b><font color="red">>Me Bike<</font id="red"></b></center><center><b><font color="red">>What Mountain Bike Flickr Photo Group<</font id="red"></b></center>

Comments

• buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Try letting some air out, and pulling/pushing the offending bit of tyre.
    Repeat this round the wheel.
    Then pump to required pressure.
    That's what Sheldon says IIRC.

<center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Bit of soapy water could help as well, certainly helps me get tyres onto my tubeless rims.

My Pics Updated!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • i just keep pumping til it pops on (60+ psi)

am i bad[?]

Live life like your dying.....cos you are :)
  • Marky Mark.
    Marky Mark. Posts: 646
    Now I'm not sure of the techincal terminology but I find that if you swear enough and chuck things around in a childish manner you'll eventually get it right, it might take some time and you may damage other parts or yourself but it does work.

Trust me, I'm not an engineer, I have bugger all patience, and don't feel like being helpful this evening.

The Family
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Yep, 'tis a tried and tested method that!

My Pics Updated!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • magicwmb
    magicwmb Posts: 251
    You may need to go up to about 80psi before they seat....just dont stand with your face near the tyre when you do it!!!! They usually get easier after they've been off a few times, just watch for damage before you exceed the recommended pressure-they dont half go if they do pop!!

Magic

Riding, wrecking and repairing MTB's for too long!!
    Magic

Riding, wrecking and repairing MTB\'s for too long!!
  • I would not go above the maximum recommended inflation pressure for seating a tyre. You can end up exploding the rim, or the tyre, and cause a lot of damage to anything to near it.

Best for way for seating a tyre is what Buddha says.
    Inflate the tyre to the point it can hold it's shape (probably about 10psi). Now with the wheel side on in front of you, hold the tyre/rim between your fingers and palms, and use your thumbs to ease the tyre up into the bead. For tight tyres, a bit soap (wahing up liquid is ideal) applied to the rim/tyre bead will help.

<h6>"Regrets last longer than pain"</h6><b>MTBscotland</b>
    <b>North Shore Freeriders</b>
    New Pics
    Old Pics