what tyres?

Unknown
edited June 2007 in MTB buying advice
I need a tyre that gonna suit my current loop which seems to be 1/4 tarmac so I'm looking for a good(light?) simi slick mtb tyre, but which one????

Comments

• Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    Whats the other 3/4 of the loop like; surely you'd be better getting a tyre that suits the bulk of your local loop rather than the road section? If the rest is fire roads then a semi slick will be OK, if its epic moorland singletrack then you'd be better with a tyre such as Panaracer fire XC pro.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • most of the tarmac in uphill :( which is a pain and the reason I'm looking for a change,but the rest of the loop is normal xc/fields/funtime stuff.
  • Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    If its normal off-road then I really would advise soemthing similar to Fire XC pro. Its better to suffer a bit of pain on the climbs and have your bike as capable as possible for the rough stuff. I've used semi slicks off road and they really don't offer as much grip as you would like.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • freqy
    freqy Posts: 33
    hi, i so envy you.

im a lightweight freak!! gotta be light! but with tyres i had to go for the puncture protection type... 'Schwalbe Marathon Supreme'

cause in my city there is glass and metal filing's everwhere!!

i ran over a nail with these tyres not long ago...the nail was in the centre of the tyre and i was driving along with it banging on the floor...unreal no puncture.

i was getting a puncture nearly every week!! i got one about 5 miles away from home and had walk back.

but with these tyres i know i can go round a corner full speed and not have to worry about a fast puncture. true they are perhaps 150g heavier than a real light tyre (each) but its worth it..(my 'tune' hubs compensate). I dont race in competitions, but for the city its great , I soooo wish i could have a light set of tyres ....drooooolssss.

well , hope this helps.

good luck with your purchase.[:D]

freqy