Specialized Dinosaur over the hill?

Unknown
edited December 1969 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently have a 2001 Specialized Enduro Sport, pretty much as stock. The rear suspension is working fine, the frame doesn't have any damage, never been crashed. It also has a brand new set of Mavis Crossrides on there.

All I'm wondering is whether I'd be better buying a new bike soley for the fact it's getting on a bit. I went up to the trail on the weekend and totally fueled my passion for biking, sadly the bike's chain snapped so I've reordered a new one. Given the rest of the transmission may be on it's way out as well as the front fork tighening up a bit, would it be best counting my losses and selling it on for œ200ish to buy a newer low end model (Kikapu or Trance I was considering) or holding on, upgrading the components and fork to fight another day?

Even with œ200 from selling I'd need to raise another œ450ish to get something in last years sales, that money could buy a new Recon, LX groupset, discs and a sparkly service for it.

My major concern is the lifespan of aluminium and suspension bushings I think, should the rear arm seize up soon? Will the frame crack easier now?

Cheers!

PS Where do old bikes go to die, didn't see any as old as mine on the trails!
PPS Hello!

Comments

• Why not replace the gear cables & cassette, and have the suspension serviced?

Malt 4

Orange P7 - current rebuild

Deliverance
  • A lot of places seem to estimate the age of aluminium frames to be around 5 years, mine has gone past that, if the frame broke I'd end up spending œ500-œ600 or so just for a new frame (you don't seem to see many in the sales). I could buy a complete new bike for that now and save myself a packet in potential upgrades/servicing.

In all honesty if I'd seen lots of people on 6 year old aluminium bikes while out I wouldn't be having these doubts now. :)
  • There are a lot older frames than that riding around.

In fact, I have never heard of the 5 year rule. I would service it and upgrade what you want. If the frame hasn't been damaged, I doubt it will fail.

Unless you want a new bike of course, in which case the 5 year rule could be a good excuse. [;)]

Malt 4

Deliverance
  • Heh, yeah I think I'm just trying to justify it to myself. I'm bitter for it's chain exploding while I was out in the wilderness.
  • Chains do snap though - especially with a lack of maintenance.

Surely the Enduro sport was a nice bike at the time? A bit of maintennace and you could have it set up sweetly.

Would you get better nowadays for œ650? Probably not.

Malt 4

Deliverance
  • I was looking at the 2005 XXL (20" Coiler) or 2006 Kikapu Deluxe (both œ699 from paulscycles). I'm 6'6" so I can do quite well bargain hunting :) The Trance 4 was a similar price as well and looked interesting.

Similar spec components to what I already have already (deore/lx). The fork on the Kikapu seems pretty dire though going by a few reviews.

I think you're probably right though, if I spent that extra cash on the old bike I'd end up with a far greater setup.
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    I would suggest you actually try the bikes you've listed before ordering them. They're not quite as good as the look on paper.

The coiler for example is almost a downhill bike. Unless you're very fit you're going to really struggle to ride it up anything steep.
  • Yup, it's around 33/34lb which is only a couple of pounds heavier than my current setup. I liked the idea of the upright geometry and more travel to raise my confidence a bit, my Spesh is a bit stretched out. I'm cycling for fun and personal improvement rather than any sort of competition, let the hills hurt! :)

Oh and I do also have an Avalanche with fairly sensible XC bits on for going upwards/commuting/leisure trails. It's the more aggressive stuff I want to work on!