Changing my Cranks

Unknown
edited December 1969 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys

I thought instead of taking it to my local bike shop I would take some time to fit my new crank arm to my bike.

I have a FSA crank (ISIS type) and have no idea what I am meant to be doing in all honesty

I ordered some V Drive Xtreme downhill arms from CRC and I am hoping that the wrenches come with it as none of my allen keys fit. Any help would be ideal?

Thanks
Mark

Comments

• Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    Is the new crank ISIS? If so its easy, but you will need some tools and I doubt they will come with the crank. If its external BB you will be better off going to a bike shop as you BB shell will probably need facing.

First of all remove remove the crank bolts, you will need either a 8mm or 10mm allen key. Make sure you don't lose any of the washers.

You will then need a crank puller to get the arms off, these cost less than a tenner. Make sure you get one that works with ISIS, as it needs an adaptor from the standard square taper crank puller.

If you need to change the BB you will need a BB tool, and a big wrench.

Have a look on the park tool website for some guidance, its worth checking as some things are backwards threaded.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • Yep it is a ISIS type one, I actually bought the new crankset yesterday and I paid half what my LBS charged and therefore I felt it would be good to do it for meself
  • How can I work out if I have an external bottom bracket?