Spec Stumpjumper Elite 2007 - Review

thedktor
thedktor Posts: 234
edited June 2007 in MTB buying advice
Spec Stumpjumper Elite 2007 - Review

Well, as luck would have it I injured my back just before taking delivery of my new toy so have not ridden it more than a few minutes!! [:(]

How frustrating, but in my boredom some first impressions, maybe of interest.

Firstly, going back to the Comp version I had briefly before swapping - the black with red striping really did look fabulous http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... 1b0s1p1603 , and is not a million miles away from the top pro carbon model, http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... 1b0s1p2256 , at least from a distance!

So, on taking delivery of my new Elite I wasn't too sure what to think of the paint job - its more subtle with less gloss, a kind of a satin finish. Coupled with the grey-brown forks this bike is a long way from the fashionable all-black.

However, it has really grown on me and I now think it looks very cool in a understated, non-flashy way - which is how I like things. Here it is:

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/9928 ... peryy7.jpg

Weight-wise it doesn't save a lot over the Comp, my scales still hover around the 28/29 lb mark with pedals, maybe there's 1/2lb in it - not enough to notice.

For the extra 300-quid the differences are not that obvious but at this price that's the way it is.

The XT cranks look the biz and are a welcome change from the black standard on most bikes. The XTR rear mech is unnecessary but looks nice, and the LX shifters have given me the crisper shifting I was after as well as the thumb or finger upshift options - not a critical feature but quite handy when you have it.

The best bit for me is the forks - flick the switch and they change from 100 to 120 to 140 travel, how cool is that? - I had no idea such a feature existed until now, assuming the U-turn "wind-the-handle" adjuster was the only option.

The suspension retains that out-the-crate plushness that so impressed me with the Comp, and not surprisingly the frame geometry etc. is the same and the Medium feels perfect for me at 5'10".

The adjustable stem is a nice feature (also on the Comp), not sure if other manufacturers offer this? Finally the Avid 7 brakes: they don't seem so sharp as the Comp's Avid 5's, maybe that's a good thing, but they have not been bedded in yet. I can't really see the need for the adjustable bite point - I would prefer a modulation adjuster, or am I missing the point?

In summary: all the good points of the Stumpjumper Comp, but with some worthwhile upgrades. œ300-worth? Well, if you can afford it yes, but the Comp is a fantastic bike for œ1500 (or less now). And you have to draw a line for your own budget somewhere ......

TD

Comments

• i saw the STUMPJUMPER FSR PRO CARBON recently and the owner showed me something unbelievable. He pushed with his thumb on the top tube about 3" from the front forks the tube actually flex'd and bow'd under the pressure. it was scary to imagine that this frame although not designed to take forces in this direction would be VERY weak at that point should someone land on the top tube in an accident.

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    Click here to see what items i am currently reviewing and testing
    My Full sus ride My Single Speed Full Sus Lower Wyre Car Park
    <b>WhatMB Forum Members Flickr Group. Please join up</b> My Flickr photo Album
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • thedktor
    Hmm thats a bit scary!

I can confirm that the aluminium frames dont do this.....

TD
  • Yep thankfully they don't..... got a Stumpy FSR Pro and it has all on keeping my 95kgs in check without the frame starting to bow'n snap!
  • thedktor
    Ah what a relief - after 3 weeks off my bikes due to a back strain it was like being born again going out at the weekend. [:)]

Nothing too strenuous, being cautious, but enough to realise what a fabulous machine this Stumpjumper is!

With the suspension deliberately set soft the ride is incredibly plush, and not significantly bouncy for moderate speed. Perfect for recovering on - just sooo comfortable. And with the forks extended to 140mm a not too extreme riding position either, but still enough weight on the front to keep things planted.

Drop the forks to 100mm and the bike seems to shrink in size and encourages harder riding, the difference is quite surprising. I am 100% convinced now that the upgrade to include this feature was well worth it.

The 7's are still not as sharp as the Avid 5's fitted to the Comp model, but have been getting noticeably more powerful the more I ride - no big hills yet so some more bedding in to do - 2 fingers already provide plenty enough stopping anyway.

The gears? yup I'm a Shimano man it seems and am plenty happy with the LX shifters on this model - the finger down-shift I prefer. And now I have a choice anyway, very good Mr Shimano

Overall, what can I say, just a pleasure to ride, fast or slow. [8D]

TD