Giant MPH3 Discs

Unknown
edited December 1969 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I need some help...........someone kindly crashed into the back of my car whilst my bike (Giant XTC SE 2006) was on the back. Luckily only the front wheel has been bent. i need to replace the front wheel and disc. What rim and disc should I buy? The disc measures 165mm across, is that the only dimension i need to think about when buying a replacement disc?

Ta

Comments

• Contact a giant dealer, they'll be able to supply the disc, as for the wheel what do you ride, i'd suggest a mavic xc717 or xm719 depending on likely drops on hope proII with det revs, from merlin would be nice.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • Kestrel_daos
    Kestrel_daos Posts: 932
    I think on an XT hub would be more in keeping with the rest of the bike. Good and functional without the bling.

<font color="blue">Giant XTC SX '06</font id="blue">
  • Sorry what is an XT Hub? is that a rim? also can i just buy any 165mm disc to replace the knackered one?
  • Kestrel_daos
    Kestrel_daos Posts: 932
    If you need a new front wheel. you'll need a new hub for the wheel (Shimano XT is highly recommended as not too expensive, but very good quality), and a rim for it to be built around (Mavix 717 for cross country or Mavic 719 for slightly rougher stuff). A new front wheel with that combo will be about œ45 from MerlinCycles

You'll also need a new disc which I thought was a 180mm on the front (certainly is on my Giant XTC SX), but may be a 160/165. Ask your bike shop - they should be able to get the correct disc for œ15 or so.

EDIT: sorry just rerear original post. If the disc is 165mm across, just ask your shop for one for the Giant MPH brakes. I don't know if other brands will still work.

<font color="blue">Giant XTC SX '06</font id="blue">
  • I used to have a Giant XTC with the MPH brakes, I know I had a spare standard disk but have no idea where it is. I will have a look and see if I can find it, if I do you can have it as I have no use for it.

I will mail you if I find it.

Dave

<font size="1"><b><font color="blue">My Rocky Mountain</font id="blue"></b>
    <font color="red">Merlin Malt</font id="red">
    <font color="blue">Me</font id="blue">
    <font color="red">Rocky Road</font id="red">
    <font color="blue">My old Giant XTC - Gone forever :( </font id="blue"></font id="size1">