Trying to build up a cheap but tough bike...!

Unknown
edited December 1969 in MTB general
Hi all,

Basically, my brother is trying to build up a cheap MTB (hes one of thoe uni students in debt).
Thing is, he wants to 'proper' MTBing (Marin trail, Llandegla e.t.c). We also hope to do the Alps this summer (wouldnt be huge drops, but still...), so its gotta be pretty tough too!

Hes 6ft1 and weighs about 12stone.

So far, hes bought a Planet-X Armadillo frame (http://www.mbuk.com/biketestdetails.asp?id=405)and some On-One Reetard wheels.
He will be using most of my old drivetrain, as well as brakes; Deore/Alivio cassette/chain/shifters/levers/Avid BB5 brakes (may need to get larger rotors, only 160mm atm).

So, he needs a few things; forks, crank/BB/pedals, and small stuff like grips, cables, bars e.t.c.

On the fork front, he doesnt really have a fixed price, under œ100 would be best (used of course), but he can stretch to about œ120 if its a good deal.
I think 130 would be best, dont think hes too fussed about lockout e.t.c., but compression and rebound would be nice.
I could sell him my 06 Fox VanR 32s for about œ130, reckon they would be Ok for him?

Then theres the cranks e.t.c.
If anyone has any recommendations, or bits they think my bro may be interested in, please post away!

Ta, Duane [:)]

<hr noshade size="1">
<h4><b> <center> GT Ruckus</center><center>"From The Top To The Bottom"</center>
<center>www.NorthWalesRiders.co.uk
Please check it out (and register)!</center></b>
</h4>

Comments