Reba Setup Guide

Unknown
edited December 1969 in MTB general
Found this over on the MTBR Forums,
helped me with my fork might help others
who are new to the fork

>>>>>>>>Reba Rockshox Setup.<<<<<<<<<

Many riders of this fine fork have asked me to post up a setup and tuning guide.

Here it is, according to Rainman...

The Reba is a fine fork, and very tune-able, but it needs to be set up correctly to get the best out of it. Once you have it attached to the bike, start with the REBOUND damper which is located on the bottom of the right hand side fork leg. I usually set this damper at full fast. Turn it towards the Hare, or rabbit..

Next... The air.

This is a dual-air fork. The positive air chamber acts like the main spring in a coil fork. Therefore, you need to have the positive air pressure always greater than the negative air pressure in order to get the full benefit and the full travel on the fork.

Pump 100psi into the positive air chamber which is located on the top of the left hand side of the fork under a plastic unscrewable cover.

Once you have 100 psi of air in the positive chamber, go down to the bottom of this same leg and unscrew the cap off the negative air chamber and pump 90 psi into this chamber.

>>> The 10 psi Rule.....<<<

The rule is simple. Always have 10 psi more air pressure in your POSITIVE air chamber than you have in the Negative air chamber.

For example, if you run 120 psi in your positive chamber, you should have 110 psi in the negative chamber...or if you run 80 psi in the positive, then 70 psi in the negative.

Easy, isn't it...

The amount of air to run in the positive chamber depends on several things....

1: Your ready to ride weight.

2: The type of rider you are.

3: Where you ride.

If you are a clyde, obviously you are going to need slightly higher air pressure than a lightweight rider, and vice-versa.

If you like to go hard and bomb over rock gardens then you will be needing to increase the pressure slightly. If you mostly ride smoother trails, you can go lower on the pressure.

You need to take your shock pump along in your pack and "tune" the fork for your weight and the trails and the kind of riding you mostly do. Once you get it close to the ideal for yourself, then a very very small amount of air will make a big difference to the feel of the fork and the way it reacts.

In all cases, you still need to apply the 10psi rule to the air chambers, and you ALWAYS need to adjust the Positive air chamber first.

What you are looking for is a nice supple ride with FULL travel on the fork sliders on the BIG hits.
You should always be seeing full travel on the sliders on most trail rides. Usually if you are not, then your air pressures are too high.

Ok, next is the Poploc.

Some of the Reba forks come with the remote Poploc where the lever is mounted on your handlebar and connected to the valve on the top of the right hand side of the fork leg.

The poploc lets you lock the fork for stand up sprints or mashing up hills. It is fantastic for singlespeed use, but also benefits anyone who likes to stand and sprint without the power-robbing 'bob'.

Set up the cable as per the manual, connecting it to the wheel on the fork leg. Now, lock the fork and while it is the locked position, turn the gate adjuster on the top of the fork leg towards the PLUS + sign until it wont go any further. Don't force it.

Now unlock the poploc from the handlebar by pressing the little button beside the lever.

What have you done?

You have set the blow-off gate in the fork to react and release pressure on the fork when it hits a big log or rock while the fork is in the locked position. In this position the fork will only move slightly...about 20mm's when you stand up and mash or sprint, unless you hit something hard.

You cannot lock it out completely, there will always be a little movement in the fork, it was designed like that.

The Reba is a very good fork, and is ultra tune-able for every rider. Small changes in air pressure will yield a different 'feel' to the way the fork reacts to trail input. If you take the time to tune it up properly, it will reward you with a very supple and responsive ride.

Like all forks, the Reba benefits from regular services. If you ride a lot, service the fork every six months or less. New oil and seals etc.. make the fork feel like new...

I hope that this helps some of you and makes it easier to set up your Reba fork..

<div align="left"><font size="1">
My Fury Pics

My Space

My Mods:RockShox Reba Team U-Turn Air, Hayes 9HFX XC Brakes,Truvativ StyloTeam GXP CrankSet
Sram X-7 Shifters,Mavic XM719 Rims,Shamano XT Hubs,Conti Speedkings 2.1 tyres,Shamano XT Cassette,Rhloff SLT99 Chain,V12 Magnisum Pedals,Thomson Elite Seatpost,Selle Italia SLR XC Gelflow sadle,Ritchey WCS Ergo Grips

</font id="size1"> </div id="left">

Comments