Upgrade from Specialized Pro Fast Trak

Unknown
edited December 1969 in MTB buying advice
I get the general impression from the forums thats these tyres are pretty naff especially in the wet. I feel an upgrade in tyres would give me better handling...would i need dry tyre and a wet tyre? Are there any tyres that do both? Any help welcomed.

P

Comments

• ajyoung
    ajyoung Posts: 17
    I just got a rockhopper with these on. They are fine for what I wanted wich is a mixture of light trails and cycle paths I run through in the week when I'm not on the trails. They are OK for light XC stuff but they are just not very good on loose ground.

I would consider some Kenda Nevegals or Fire XCs for all round XC/hard XC, or some spesh Resolutions which I also like a lot.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Something from the Panaracerrange should fit the bill, my brother runs the Trailraker's and doesn't change them all year round

<center><font color="red">Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.</font id="red"></center>
    <center>My Spesh</center>
  • Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    I wouldn't recommend the trailrakers except in mud, they don't give good grip on dry dusty trails as the knobs are too deep and reduce contact with the ground. I took my trailrakers to Llandegla and was shocked at the lack of grip, especially as they were so good up here at the time.

If you ride good quality / man made tracks and gravel type tracks then I would recommend the Panaracer fire XC pro. If you ride less predictable tracks such as moorland singletrack that can be boggy for much of the year then you may benefit from using Panaracer Cinder, these give better traction in mud and offer higher volume for boggy ground.

my photos NYM biking routes My full Suss My Hardtail
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All depends on what you are used to riding, as I say my bro hasn't had any problems, but others have. You could get a tyre that sells itself as a 'do it all' but then just isn't right for your local conditions.

<center><font color="red">Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.</font id="red"></center>
    <center>My Spesh</center>
  • rockfallwmb
    rockfallwmb Posts: 52
    Hi Steve!!

You are going to need good dry weather tyres for your next visit to Spain in the Autumn. Im looking at Conti Speedkings and Panaracer Cinders so Ill let you know how I get on with whichever i choose. Good riding yesterday again, only stayed local to this area but its starting to get too hot, but we met up with one of the Spanish dudes, hes cool, and is going to show us some good trails in Sierra Espuna next time out. Cant wait to get you again!
  • Yes will bare that in mind when i am next in Spain....I really got battered today and ache all over at Dalby...that place really takes it out of you and i was permanently crapping myself on all the downhills as every where was wet!