Ashbourne, Derbyshire

Ticaboy
Ticaboy Posts: 314
edited June 2007 in Routes
Any trails or routes of distinction around these parts? Looking to use a camp-site in Ashbourne as a base, head out on the trails, and return at tea time. If any shorter recommendations available that return to base-camp at lunch time, these would be just as welcome.

Riders: beginner/intermediate (just)
Bikes: GT Expert, GT Aggressor 2, Spesh Hardrock.

GT Expert 06

Comments

• Ticaboy
    No-one familiar with the South Peak District at all?

GT Expert 06
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    There's loads of places that are just a short drive away. Just have a quick google search under white peak.

But riding out from Ashbourne I can't think of that many locations.
    There's the Tissington / high peak trail. This is very smooth and to be honest rather boring. http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr039.html (In fact there's a few old railway line type paths around that region that you can cycle down.)
  • Ticaboy
    Thanks GF3, will do.

GT Expert 06
  • fhiyll
    fhiyll Posts: 24
    i wrote to the tourist board, they sent me loads of maps and stuff! For free!
    Only probs is, im crap at reading maps, so not got out there!
    Might take the tom tom just incase lol!
    ;)

----Arggggggg
    ----Arggggggg
  • Ticaboy
    Also a good idea fhiyll.
    Found two books by John Barton called Dark Peak MTB'ing and White Peak MTB'ing. Probably a good start, but looks like most are knowhere near Ashbourne. Maybe we should just change the campsite instead of struggling with the trails.

GT Expert 06
  • marty long
    marty long Posts: 23
    near by carsington water which can then lead onto countless rides carso is 5 mimns from ashbourne