South Downs Way

ant55y
ant55y Posts: 15
edited June 2007 in Routes
Hi, I have just compiled a website about cycling on the South Downs Way; I have included notes on terrain, surface, hazards, photos (some annotated), maps of eg water taps and other things of interest.
Hope that you will find useful.[url][/url]www.bikedowns.co.uk

Anthony

Comments

• Great idea, the water tap stuff is ideal. You havent got anything on the section from Devils Dyke to Eastbourne, which is my local patch. I can help you out if you want to include this bit
  • Anthony, that's a really good site. I regularly cycle around the South Downs, both on it and along the various tracks and bridleways around it.

This will be really useful.

Mike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58583241@N00/
  • ant55y
    Hi Southdownslsogger ! yes it would be great if you could send me anything about D.Dyke to Eastbourne. I want to ride that section this year somehow, perhaps train to Eastbourne then ride back home as far as possible before ringing for a lift ! I have no idea what it is like, how many long climbs? terrain ? grass? flint ?
    Thanks Anthony
  • yeah no probs. Id split the route into Devils Dyke - Southease, and Southease-Eastbourne. Ive ridden the latter many times, although ive only ridden the devils dyke - southease section once. Ill email you a description of the route and see what you think
  • ant55y
    Yes, that would be great, Thanks
    Anthony
  • loopylou
    loopylou Posts: 37
    hey, the website is really useful but do u have any routes east of brighton towards eastborne,
    im thinking of cycling up devils dyke, has any one done this before?
  • ant55y
    Hi, glad that you like my website. aim to ride Esatbourne to D Dyke in June; train to Eastbrne, YHA D Dyke (40 miles), then back on SDW to home , another 40; i live 2 miles from SDW. so time for more photos etc Anthony
  • super_g
    super_g Posts: 11
    Does anyone have or know where to get the entire SDW as a gpx or mmo fiel for import into memory map?
  • ant55y
    I have added some profiles to my website www.bikedowns.co.uk
    Two sections at moment, I have created for rest of SDw but just need time to annotate, format etc. Please contact with comments, useful? more detail specific areas ? etc
    thanks
    Anthony
  • ant55y
    Forgot to say that I have added note of total climb, desend, with notes on hill etc; I have used Tracklogs
  • One thing that would be good would be to have some rides that can be done in a day, i.e. circular rides.

2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc :-)
  • ant55y
    Yes, I was thinking about adding circular rides based on SDW; I have some in mind, so will add post when done !
  • ant55y
    I have just (April 12) added some photos between *****ing and Bignor, both westwards & eastwards.
  • Devils dyke is a good area for mtbing, theres some good descents from the car park at the top (theres a pub up there as well!). The descents run along the dyke into Poynings, so what goes down must go up!

Ant55y:
    Ill write that section for ya Devils Dyke to Eastbourne so you can complete the trail.
  • Great site. The Trailwalker event would probably find it useful.http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/qgs ... alker.html
    They run from QECP to Brighton. The ols SDW run used to go from QECP to Eastbourne! Did it twice and trailwalker once but now stick to cycling.
    The photos are particularly useful.

Jon Steed - the not so New Avenger

My Bike and stuff
    The Bearpit
    My Vid
    www.moredirt.co.uk
  • is there anything out there for the north downs? have got the feature from MBR but am having pros getting an more info

http://www.myspace.com/wadsy76
  • ant55y
    Sorry but I am not familiar with any rides on North Downs. I have just updated my site again with annotated elevation profiles of whole of SDW divided into 3 views of 30 miles each. Als overall map location of water taps.
  • ant55y
    Short note that route of SDW has been changed slightly. At A32 Warnford (between Winchester & QEP), new finger posts diverting away from A32, then cross directly over, rather than along A32. Think probably should be a safer crossing. Only adds approx 200 yards ! I have updated my website www.bikedowns.co.uk [url][/url]www.bikedowns.co.uk
  • ant55y
    Just to update my website www.bikedowns.co.uk , I have added a summary of where the tarmac and grass stretches are located, see my 'section' page.
    I have also added a new page, aerial photo' with link to aerial photo that I have cretaed on www.local.live.com
  • DSA244
    DSA244 Posts: 66
    Herod there is not a great deal on the North Downs, don't ask me why, I think maily because so many of the routes are man made trails through the woods and therefore priniting routes is not the easiest.

In my opinion I prefer the North Downs as there is more variety and so many hidden singletracks that weave through the trees. If you've never been try the holmbury Hill/pitch Hill/Leith Hill area and park in Peaslake. Half the fun here is exploring as there are literally loads of tracks.

Devilspunch bowl is supposed to be good also but I haven't tried it there yet.
  • forlornhope
    forlornhope Posts: 81
    i think a lot of the problem with the north downs is the lack of bridleway,most of it is footpath.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=169596
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    My tip for riding on the North Downs Way - footpaths etc ;-)
    Ride it on a weekday, just after lunchtime.
    All the ramblers/silver surfers are at home watching neighbours!

<center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • ant55y
    Update of my website www.bikedowns.co.uk : added location (map & photo) of <b>water t</b>ap at Southease. Note that SDW now diverted over new bridge over A26, so misses tap unless you go on to Itford Farm.
    Also noted which <b>car parks </b>are free or pay, as visited Ditchling Beacon, and did not realise had to pay; a very kind person gave me œ1.
    Taken photos from Ditchling to Southease, so need to edit etc and write up notes. hope to put on website soon.
    Now have 4 circular rides.
  • ejls2
    ejls2 Posts: 322
    Could I ask a quick equipment question to those of you who know the south downs way well.

I'm hoping to take part in the BHF randonee in a couple of weeks time and am looking for some tire advice. I'm currently running Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres but I have no idea how these will suit the flinty path. Can anyone recommend some fast, durable tyres for summer riding on the way?

Many thanks (especially to ant55y for his website! ),

Ed
  • I'm doing the same challenge and running the same tyres and was just going to ask what pressures people would recommend?

Malt 4

Orange P7 - current rebuild

Deliverance
  • Marky Mark.
    Marky Mark. Posts: 646
    Your tyres will be fine on the SDW as I've done it before on the very same tyres. Pressure is a difficult one though as it depends on weight really. On a hard tail you'll really feel beaten up by the end so as low as possible would be best. I think I was running 35psi in my pre-tubless days but can't quite remember I'm afraid.

The Family
  • Really? I was thinking of upping the pressures, thinking the route might be more 'roadlike' to the singletrack I usually ride.

Malt 4

Orange P7 - current rebuild

Deliverance
  • Marky Mark.
    Marky Mark. Posts: 646
    Depends on what you want a little more speed or a bit of comfort. Tis up to you but I know I suffered on my hardtail towards the end and afterwards.

The Family
  • ejls2
    ejls2 Posts: 322
    Excellent, thanks for the advice. I need all the help I can get with speed so I may run them a bit harder as well!

Cheers,

Ed
  • ant55y
    Scott, SDW has only 9 miles tarmac in 65 miles from Winchester to Brighton, and little after that. see my website www.bikedowns.co.uk listed tarmac in gen info page.
    just added photos Cheesefoot Head and around Amberley.
    ejls2 glad site useful.