Newcastle University

roryf
roryf Posts: 1,335
edited August 2007 in The Crudcatcher
Thinking of going there, but don't have much experience of the place and unfortunately I missed the open day this week. The next one is in October.
Opinions of the place and the university?

Comments

• Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    Good luck understanding the locals.
  • blacksun
    blacksun Posts: 381
    It's Newcastle.. don't take your bike or anything of value with you.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1">'You don't like smurfs?'

'Fu<u></u>ck those little blue bast<u></u>ards. They look like a town of deformed fetuses that were suffocated and thrown into a mushroom patch'.</font id="size1">
    I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally ~ W. C. Fields
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    What course ?
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Newcastle is a great city. Ignore the naysayers....

Plus you could get to come and ride with us - not sure if that is a good point or a bad point. Night life is ace, union is dirt cheap (and officially consumes more alcohol than any other building in th UK despite being shut for 6-8 weeks over summer) the uni has a pretty good MTB club (so I'm told - look out for Stato he was a member).

Accomodation is pretty cheap c.f. the rest of the country and the locals are (mostly) harmeless.

What course are you doing??
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • will_15
    will_15 Posts: 3,184
    just finished my first year at newcaslte uni.. its quality, love it!

the city is amazing, the geordies are friendly people, the clubs are quality, alcohol is dirt cheap (eg. £5.50 for 3 treble spirit and mixers - yes, you heard.. 3 of them, and that in bars in the middle of the city), its a beautiful city too. taxis are cheap as well, start at £1.

as for the uni, its a traditional red brick established uni, so has quality heritage etc. wide range of course, good quality lecture rooms and timetable was good for me.

accommodation is all good in the first year, id recommend castle leazes for the catered banter, or richardson road if you want to go self catering. all the other accommo is top quality, but smaller and in less central locations.

can't fault the place myself. beach nearby, good metro underground transport system, good bus network, good mtb club with lots of riding happening and overall a quality city. do it!
    <font face="Arial"><font color="black"><center><font size="2">DMR</font id="size2"></center></font id="black">
    <font color="red"><center><font size="6">ME</font id="size6"></center></font id="red"></font id="Arial">
    <div align="right"><font size="1"><font color="black"><b>I\'ve donated</b></font id="black"></font id="size1"></div id="right">
  • urbanfatboy
    urbanfatboy Posts: 193
    Great night life, near the river, fairly near the beach near some cracking countryside not full of London / Thames estuary wannabes. Friendliest people this side of the border. In all honesty, if you're from dahn sarf, treat it with caution, the culture shock might just be too great for you.
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 7,237
    Newcastle is a top place, I've lived here all my life and haven't encountered any problems whatsoever, and the accent isn't THAT hard to understand... No more so than Brummy or Cockney...

Night life - great
    People - great
    Living - great
    Riding - great
    Unis - great

What's not to like?! :D
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    I went to Newcastle Polytechnic (northumbia) for 4 yeas and loved the city so much i stayed another year after finishing my Degree

fantastic riding..we had a very active mountain bike club and used to go racing all over the N-East and big group rides out to Chopwell Woods, Prudhoe, etc. on Wednesday and Sundays..sometimes 30 riders out each day! we had a bunch of friends from the University who also came out riding with the Polytechnic bike club

Newcastle was the home of Jason Mcroy and Hardisty Cycles (now Edinburgh Co-Operative?) in Byker who i ended up working for and then riding for on their XC and DH team,

I'd highly recommend Newcastle, friendly locals, great nightlife (house parties and warehouse raves!!) cheap living, excellent riding and several good bike shops..if you are into BMX at all, it has one of the strongest BMX scenes in the UK, you have the awesome outdoor skatepark in Exhibition Park across from the University
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • Dr_Death
    I used to work at Hardistys as well, when I was at Uni. What a coincidence......

You must have been there before me though coz the teams were defunct when I worked there...
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

• Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    My family moved there from Oxfordshire when I was 15. We soon fell in love with the city, the cheeky Geordies, the superb empty countryside, it's a top place to live. Sadly MTBs hadn't been invented then....
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • roryf
    roryf Posts: 1,335
    I'm sure I wrote this in the old thread on MBUK, but it's gone from here :?
    Anyway, course is either Mechanical Engineering or Marine Engineering.
    Agriculture will be my backup if I don't get the grades.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    Its a great place, you'll love it.
    I live near Newcastle and sometimes lecture there. Worked all over the UK and find it possibly the best area to live.
    Prices are ok, alcohol is popular... locals are friendly and don't generally have their heads stuck up there ar5e unlike many less friendly areas I have experienced south of here :roll: . The city is a cool place to be with plenty bars/bistro's cafe's with a pretty good mixed culture thing going on.
    Outside the city.....which doesn't take long to get out of... you'll find loads of good cycle track, routes, a few XC routes and a DH track within a 45 min drive. Lots of road riding clubs, XC and a surprisingly healthy DH scene going on. Some of the local bike shops have a decent amount of info on this stuff when you get there. The Uni has a good reputation also.
    enjoy
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    My sister did psychology there. She loved it so much she stayed for a couple of years after graduation.
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I went there to do Marine Eng. and absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately spent too much time in the bar and on the rugby field and when I had to take a job to keep my finances afloat I ended up dropping out. Probably my biggest regret so far :(

But if you put the hours in and get the work done then I can't think of anywhere better to study.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • nirveous
    nirveous Posts: 79
    My brother went to Northumbria Uni (it's in Newcastle, there are two unis there). He's finished his second year, he likes it so much up there he is probably going to live there. There are some rough bits, I wouldn't love to go into Byker after dark, but the same goes for any city. I'm probably going to go up and see him sometime in Newcastle, so I shall make my own assessment about it then.
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    I lived on campus in the 1st year, the moved out to Heaton for years 2-4, then moved ot Byker after graduating

i didn't find byker at all rough, but i knew plenty of locals from partying and riding, so felt at home even in the Byker Wall

having said that, i remember in my 1st year when i started working for Hardisty Cycles, we had the 1st Specialized FSR bike in the UK and within 30 minutes of hitting the showroom floor it had been nicked and the thief took off into the "Byker Wall"

the Police would not go in there, so a couple of us on bikes rode around inside the wall looking for the bike, anything to avoid the wrath of Margaret Hardisty, most of the staff were more scared of her than anything you'd find in Byker !!
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • Patrick Stevens
    Patrick Stevens Posts: 13,398
    will_15 wrote:
    just taxis are cheap as well, start at £1.

!

How much is a journey though?
  • Dr_Death
    Aaaah Marg Hardisty.....

Sadly missed, what a great boss.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

• Newcastle is a great place no matter what you are looking for.
    From great nightlife, to great coastal scenery it is all within easy reach.

As for the Byker Wall, its a shame its listed - it is with us forever now :?
  • ahsatb
    ahsatb Posts: 61
    Ok, I'm at Durham, but same area and go to Newcastle a reasonable amount. Cracking place, awesome people, brilliant location for countryside, beach and city life. Plus only 2 hours from Glentress and 2 hours from Dalby with the North Pennines, Hamsterley, Chopwell and Cheviots all within a stones throw. What more do you need, apart from on the odd occasion a geordie dictionary?!
    shorty15 Posts: 97
    tax dodgers :D